Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
SarwTheGreat

What am I Supposed to do now?

Hey guys, I'm having big problems with my LTD EC 1000 VB. It's intonation keeps messing up, the G string is awful along all the other strings. If I hit the G open, you can actually hear it down tune as it's ringing. I can't play anything on it without all the strings untuning themselves. No bending, No vibrating no fretting nothing. I just got new locking tuners, A new locking bridge (which were replacements for the ones I had before, They were getting tarnished and stopped working so I got brand new ones) So to fix this I thought I'd take it to a guitar store around where I live, went there twice for the same setup in two weeks and It did nothing, so I thought I'd stop wasting money and just take it to guitar center. They had it in there for a week, the guitar tech guy worked on it for a few days, called me several of times about it, seeming to fix the problem, 50 more dollars later, it still isn't working. That guy said he can't think of what's wrong with it. What the hell is wrong with it? I haven't played in probably half of a year seriously because this problem keeps getting worse, it's not fun when all I do is tune the thing instead of play. I can't do anything because it just sounds bad now. I've got really bad buzz on all my strings now, instead of it being just my low E before I took it in. I've had it looked at on three different times by two different people this month. It's really pissing me off, and making me just want to quit playing, it's not fun having a guitar that's supposed to be good sound and play like plywood and no amount of money I spend is fixing it.
SarwTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

is it a FR?
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
4FunandProphet
Not actually a prophet...

It sounds like a nut with slots that are too small for your strings, though I have a hard time believing that two different techs would miss that. That would cause jumpy intonation and random tuning issues due to the strings not sitting properly in the slot and binding. I would honestly do some research and learn to do your own setup instead of wasting money throwing parts at it. I've had several TOM equipped guitars and one with the exact Tonepros unit that you have, and have never had issues like you describe with them.
4FunandProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
SarwTheGreat

It's not a FR, It's just a regular les paul style bridge. The guitar tech at guitar center said something about having to phile (or file I'm not sure the spelling for this context, meh oh well) the bridge slots a little since the strings were a little big, and I told him to do whatever he had to to fix it. Then when I picked it up, he told me that he didn't have to like he thought, could that be it? this bridge I have on it is brand new really, the old one was just getting in bad condition, thats why i replaced it. maybe the strings just can't sit in it or something. As for Phrophet's suggestion on me doing things myself, I'm not sure how I'd learn how to do any of that stuff, reading can only get me so far, you know what I mean. But you are right though I'd much rather know how to do it myself
SarwTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
StrykVladzimsky
ESP through Potato

Have you stretched your strings?

StrykVladzimsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarwTheGreat
It's not a FR, It's just a regular les paul style bridge. The guitar tech at guitar center said something about having to phile (or file I'm not sure the spelling for this context, meh oh well) the bridge slots a little since the strings were a little big, and I told him to do whatever he had to to fix it. Then when I picked it up, he told me that he didn't have to like he thought, could that be it? this bridge I have on it is brand new really, the old one was just getting in bad condition, thats why i replaced it. maybe the strings just can't sit in it or something. As for Phrophet's suggestion on me doing things myself, I'm not sure how I'd learn how to do any of that stuff, reading can only get me so far, you know what I mean. But you are right though I'd much rather know how to do it myself

There are plenty of set-up guides online, including here. That's how I leared to do it.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: