Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
jacko_17
Jack.

Question Vox AC30?

Hi.

I'm looking to get a Vox AC30 for Christmas but I'm having trouble deciding which model to buy as there seems to be quite a wide variety available to choose from.

I play mainly Indie Rock music and my max budget is about 750.

I was wondering if someone would be able to advice as to which one I should go for and what the key differences are between the models?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
jacko_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
ccannon1
Band Geek

The AC30C2 is my recommendation, they're $999.99 on Musiciansfriend and are 30 watts tube, instead of the cheaper AC30VR which is hybrid.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

There are two "real" versions of the AC30 if you discount the limited editions and the overpriced ahndwired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Website
The VOX AC30 combo amp has been an icon for decades, known as the sound that powered the 1960s' "British Invasion." Based on the classic AC30 design, the all-new Custom Series AC30C2 and AC30C2X offer numerous up-todate enhancements, delivering the most versatile AC30 design in VOX history.

The Models

AC30C2: 30 Watts 2 x 12" Celestion G12M Greenback Speakers / Effects Loop.
AC30C2X: 30 Watts 2 x 12" Celestion Alnico Blue Speakers / Effects Loop.
That's your basic difference, the speakers.

The handwireds are obviously out of your budget, as probably is a new C2X, but if you're looking used you can get either.

The alnico speakers in the C2X are the classic Vox sound, and honestly are really the only one you should be going for if you really want the classic sound of an AC30 (IMHO).
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy

Last edited by GABarrie : 12-05-2012 at 07:40 PM.
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

You can buy the C2 and probably get some used Alnico Blues for cheaper than buying a C2X flat out.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

^not this side of the world you can't
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
jacko_17
Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABarrie
There are two "real" versions of the AC30 if you discount the limited editions and the overpriced ahndwired
That's your basic difference, the speakers.

The handwireds are obviously out of your budget, as probably is a new C2X, but if you're looking used you can get either.

The alnico speakers in the C2X are the classic Vox sound, and honestly are really the only one you should be going for if you really want the classic sound of an AC30 (IMHO).

Ok thanks for the help people.

Looking at the prices I think the AC30C2 would be best suited for me. What are the key differences in speaker sound between this and the C2X model?

Whatever amp I get I will be playing it in stereo alongside a Clean Fender Deluxe with the distortion going through the Vox AC30 (or the other amp I buy).
Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
DeviousByNature
Too School For Cool

If it's going to be used in conjunction with the Fender Deluxe (is it a reverb?) then your best bet might be the AC15. If your deluxe is running, as mine does, at 22 watts on clean then you could get your distortion from boosting an ac15 at balls-out, and it won't drown out the sound of the deluxe. A thirty watt ac30 with twin speakers would just over-power your deluxe.

just my ten-pence worth.
DeviousByNature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
jacko_17
Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviousByNature
If it's going to be used in conjunction with the Fender Deluxe (is it a reverb?) then your best bet might be the AC15. If your deluxe is running, as mine does, at 22 watts on clean then you could get your distortion from boosting an ac15 at balls-out, and it won't drown out the sound of the deluxe. A thirty watt ac30 with twin speakers would just over-power your deluxe.

just my ten-pence worth.

It's a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, would it really be that powerful? It seems my amp at the moment would hold its ground pretty well!!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
DeviousByNature
Too School For Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko_17
It's a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, would it really be that powerful? It seems my amp at the moment would hold its ground pretty well!!

That's a different animal to the venerable deluxe reverb. your amp may well stand up to it, but even at forty watts your amp may have trouble with an over-driven ac30 with twin speakers - they're bloody loud!

What's up with the distortion from the hot-rod that means you need a new amp?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
jacko_17
Jack.

Quote:
That's a different animal to the venerable deluxe reverb. your amp may well stand up to it, but even at forty watts your amp may have trouble with an over-driven ac30 with twin speakers - they're bloody loud!

What's up with the distortion from the hot-rod that means you need a new amp?

Ahhhh ok fair enough.

Erm, nothings up with it as such, I just feel that playing through stereo with one amp on clean and another with distortion would give me a fatter sound, especially as I play in a band with just the one guitar rather than two guitarists. I've nothing against using the Fender for distortion and the Vox for clean, it's just I assumed that would be the best way to set up (I use a Diamond J-Drive distortion pedal btw).
Old 12-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
DeviousByNature
Too School For Cool

in that case my friend it's just down to taste!
I thought that maybe you were dissatisfied with your fender's distorted tones, you see.

It may be worth asking yourself if you need another amp if you're not going to use it on all the time. If you're issue is that your one guitar isn't cutting it in the band situation, then another speaker cabinet or a second amplifier ran at the SAME time might help you out. There are some great bands about that do such things - england's own HYMNS and canada's Japandroids do such things to fatten their sound - using an array of amps to represent different frequencies (even bass amps for the low-end). The fender, for example, would shine in the high end frequency range, and the vox in the mid-range (though the top-boost would give the fender a run for its money). Obviously if you have a bassist your low-end is pretty much covered.

Also, a standard speaker-cabinet may cure all your loudness ills. The more speakers you have, the more air you move and the less the amp has to work to produce more volume (in theory, the relationship between wattage and volume is actually rather complex).

At the end of the day, as it is with all of these things, it's down to what you prefer.

Last edited by DeviousByNature : 12-05-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
jacko_17
Jack.

Quote:
in that case my friend it's just down to taste!
I thought that maybe you were dissatisfied with your fender's distorted tones, you see.

It may be worth asking yourself if you need another amp if you're not going to use it on all the time. If you're issue is that your one guitar isn't cutting it in the band situation, then another speaker cabinet or a second amplifier ran at the SAME time might help you out. There are some great bands about that do such things - england's own HYMNS and canada's Japandroids do such things to fatten their sound - using an array of amps to represent different frequencies (even bass amps for the low-end). The fender, for example, would shine in the high end frequency range, and the vox in the mid-range (though the top-boost would give the fender a run for its money). Obviously if you have a bassist your low-end is pretty much covered.

Also, a standard speaker-cabinet may cure all your loudness ills. The more speakers you have, the more air you move and the less the amp has to work to produce more volume (in theory, the relationship between wattage and volume is actually rather complex).

At the end of the day, as it is with all of these things, it's down to what you prefer.

Ok thanks for the insight.

Yes that what I intend to do, i.e. run one guitar through the two amps at the same time in order to fatten the tone up. I hear it would be highly beneficial to cut through the mix more than just the one amp alone. I have also heard the delays sound brilliant when panned across two amps....
Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
gumbilicious
beginner

blues are so expensive, it's why i went with a weber blue dog. don't think you can get those in the UK either.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
joe_k
stereo amp connaisseur

Even though not exactly th same, i did give the AC15 with the greenbacks in it a go the other day and it was actually a brilliant sounding amp for a brilliant price. Props to Vox on that one.

I have played AC30's with a few different speakers and nothing sounds as nice as a blue but i think the greenbacks aren't a bad compramise until you can afford to upgrade.

Later down the track do what gumbi said and grab a weber blue dog and maybe a silver bell. otherwise save and grab some blues.

joe_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #15
gumbilicious
beginner

^yeah i got the silver bell too. brilliant speakers.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #16
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

AC30C2 then save up for some Blues down the line.
You could even go for just 1 Blue and and run a Blue and a Greenback together.
I myself run a Gold with a G12K-85 in my AC30 CCH and it sounds like heaven to me.
I juts have the head which they don't make anymore.
Unless you count the hand wired one, which IMO, is overpriced, but its around $1200 US (Mine was $900 US which I bought about 5 years ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings
CodeMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #17
gerrywm

Hi a similar thread with different opinions, good luck with the hunt
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1551543
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
gerrywm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #18
jacko_17
Jack.

Anyone know if there is any differences (apart from the colour) between the Vox AC30C2-BL 30 and the Vox AC30C2?

Thanks.

Rate This Thread: