Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
gregkirton

Question Learning Guitar - Help with resources

Hey guys,

This is my first post.. I've came here for tabs before and thought the community might be a solid place to get some insight on a problem I'm having.

I've been trying to pick up guitar off and on for a while now. For me, the problem lies in hearing strumming patterns and differentiating between rhythms etc. My finger dexterity in forming chords, switching chords, and picking is fine.

I was hoping someone would be able to help me out with some online resources that might help me get better at playing by helping teach me to get better at picking out notes and patterns in songs. (I'm not inherently musically gifted in that regard.. it will take some work)

Any ideas would be great.. Thanks in advance,

Greg
gregkirton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
stepchildusmc

i have absolutely no musical talent whatsoever Greg. i love to play the guitar as much( and as badly ) as i can. unfortunately, i only get an hour or 2 a week to abuse them. only time will help you pick out notes and chords in music. after 2 years i can finally hear chords in songs on the radio. if i was able to put in more time i probably would have been able to sooner but it is what it is. there are some great sites out there to help you along your musical journey, justinguitar.com being the most popular.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkirton
I've been trying to pick up guitar off and on for a while now. For me, the problem lies in hearing strumming patterns and differentiating between rhythms etc. My finger dexterity in forming chords, switching chords, and picking is fine.
Oh gosh, everybody has the mindset that rhythm guitar is "easy". (I suck at lead, so I guess I'm a graduate of this school of thought as well).

Arguably(*), playing "rhythm guitar", is why the pick is used in your "good" hand.

Playing rhythm is basically a "monkey hear, monkey do" learning process that doesn't always come easy. Anyone can count in fours, but not everyone automatically feels it. A cliche which comes to mind is this, "Oh my, I zigged, when I should have zagged"! An excuse I like to proffer myself from time to time. Musical rhythms are generated by one's internal clock, and everyone's is different.

I've never seen any material anywhere, that will transfer the rhythmic content of a piece of music. You have to learn the chord progressions, then play along, then play the piece by yourself to determine if you actually have absorbed the feel.

I always suggest very old music as a starting point. IMHO, Peter Townshend is the best rhythm player ever. And "Tommy", contains every march, anthem, and ceremonial rhythm you'll ever need.

A lot of early rock is composed of what you might call "lead rhythms". There aren't a lot of those big impressive solos, but the rhythm pattern instantly calls the song's name to mind.

So, that's my suggestion. Learn early Beatles, Stones, and Who tunes.

If that music isn't accessible to you, or unappealing to you, maybe another member can find material that resonates with your musical tastes and sensibilities.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
Battery Chicken
Viva la Revolucion!

Drum out beats on your desk/legs while listening to music and while not listening to music. Also playing along to a drum beat or a metronome will help when you're practicing. A good guitarist is a pseudo drummer in his own right, syncopation and rhythm are two of the most overlooked tools in the guitarists arsenal.

In the end it's all just a matter of practice. Which is why I mentioned drumming on your desk/legs, you can do it anywhere.
Battery Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
gregkirton

Thanks for all the replies and tips guys! I guess I just need to get down to the grind and deal the tough upward battle to come.

On particular problem I have is picking up strumming patterns.. I can never tell whether they're strumming up or down or whatever combination. I think it's just another thing that will slowly come.

As far as aides.. another thing I was thinking about was computer software.. does anyone know of any programs that would take an mp3 and remove all the other sound to leave only the guitar portion? Just for help initially hearing it very clearly in songs?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 AM   #6
Captaincranky

Look junior, pull up the tab you want to learn. Memorize the chords. Verify the tab is in the same key as the record. Strum until you sound like the record. Nobody's claiming that's going to be easy.

As for the computer solving any of your problems, it may, it may not.

The majority of teaching / learning tools for the computer are likely vocal removers, loopers, and speed changers while maintaining pitch type affairs. (The pitch corrector, "Auto-Tune", is one application of that). I don't see how you could pull the rest of the mix out from around the rhythm track without destroying it. (I don't know how they do any of those other things either, so I'm certainly not the final authority).

Do you know enough chords and keys yet to pick the majority of a song out by ear?

Can you tell if a C major chord is being played open, or is a barre chord at the 8th fret?

I've already told you where music is, that already "has the rhythm track pulled out of it". That's old rock and roll. It isn't crapped up with 3 dozen overdubbed guitar parts.

It's not unreasonable to suggest you refer back to those old records as learning tools. When you come right down to it, Jimmy Page and his contemporaries, developed all their best shit, from the previous generations of American black blues players.

If you want something to stump you from the present which has very prominent rhythm parts, listen to "Mumford & Sons". That guy will rattle your self confidence to the core.

At the end of the day, you can "copy" a song, or you can, "cover" a song. To copy you do have to play what's there. To "cover", your artistic sense comes into play. Play what you feel. Play what sounds good to you. Play an "unplugged" version. Just have fun.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 02-20-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
gregkirton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Do you know enough chords and keys yet to pick the majority of a song out by ear?

Can you tell if a C major chord is being played open, or is a barre chord at the 8th fret?

I can't do either of those things. I think I really just need to practice and listen more closely to more songs that I'm interested in learning. I'm trying to find an easy way out solution I think.

Thanks for the advice, though. I guess it shall all come with time.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #8
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkirton
I'm trying to find an easy way out solution I think.
Why don't you visit this website, and follow the beginner's course: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-0...nnersCourse.php

Learning basic musical theory will structure your knowledge. You'll learn which chords are in which key, which in turn will make it easier for you to predict what is going to happen next with respect to chord progressions.

Follow my suggestion and look up tabs for songs you want to learn. Learn the chords, learn the changes, strum along. You'll be able to measure your progress when you try the song without the record.

A lot of beginners think the internet will somehow eliminate the "grunt work", of learning. It won't. It will supply you with much needed information and eliminate the need for you to "reinvent the musical wheel". But, the physical, emotional, and technical aspects of playing are all still up to you. You have to want it, you have to have it in you, and you have to do it a lot, many times for a lot less results than perhaps you'd like, to get where you want to go.

Let us know how it's coming along from time to time, won't you?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
mrvegman

just have fun...as previously mentioned pick songs that you like and know and go for it...put your own style in it and away you go...
mrvegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
stepchildusmc

as for computer aides... look no further than here at UG ! i would assume that you've delved into a few tabs here.... ever notice the tab pro tabs?
mrvegman has the most important advice.... just have fun ! an acoustic guitar, a tuner and a capo will get you very far as long as you have the patience to hang with it.
i look back at where i was a year or two ago and think to myself " you still stink, maybe suicide is the answer !!"....oops..uhh...no wait, this ain't the relationships anonymous forum. i think to myself( guitar forum right?)... remember when you couldn't hold that F bar for shit?..now i can't hold it for crap, so i guess that's an improvement !
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
...[ ]....i think to myself( guitar forum right?)... remember when you couldn't hold that F bar for shit?..now i can't hold it for crap, so i guess that's an improvement !
Aw Step, I taught you better than that. Just slap the capo on the 1st fret and play an E chord...

Rate This Thread: