Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
outlawten5

2 questions about cheap guitars

I have started playing again after a 20 yr absence. I picked up a squier bullet strat and a Crate GTD65 at a local pawnshop and love the way it plays. Sounds, not so much. Guitar center has pre-wired pick guard set-ups. I think the choices are EMG, Seymour Duncan, and Dimarrzio. I play mostly metal and looking for opinions on these set-ups.

Question #2
Looking at upgrading guitars and I always liked Jacksons. Have about $600 to spend and want a neck thru Jackson. WHat is the difference between the SLX, SL2 and Dinkys? I realize these are just above the entry levels. Any pros or cons. Thanks everyone for your input.
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5
I have started playing again after a 20 yr absence. I picked up a squier bullet strat and a Crate GTD65 at a local pawnshop and love the way it plays. Sounds, not so much. Guitar center has pre-wired pick guard set-ups. I think the choices are EMG, Seymour Duncan, and Dimarrzio. I play mostly metal and looking for opinions on these set-ups.

Depends on which models of pickups you have in mind. Just stating the brand is arbitrary. You'd be better off with a new amp given what you only have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5
Question #2
Looking at upgrading guitars and I always liked Jacksons. Have about $600 to spend and want a neck thru Jackson. WHat is the difference between the SLX, SL2 and Dinkys?

The SLX is a heavily watered-down version of an SL2. The SL2 seems like a very good guitar. Dinky's have a smaller body than a soloist and have bolt-on necks.

I would try to get a used Jackson SL3. You might have a hard time finding one though, as people tend to keep a hold them since they're desirable guitars and somewhat rare.

Edit: I thought you were talking about the SL2H, not the SL2. The SL2H is the USA made one, the SL2 is the new pro series.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 02-13-2013 at 12:44 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Personally I think that if you have a poor guitar, which unfortunately the Bullet is, and you upgrade the electronics, the very core of the guitar that has a major impact on the tone of the guitar remains poor, which means the outcome won't be major at all.

Also, it's a false economy. You'd probably have been better off saving the money and getting a good guitar to begin with like a Mexican Strat. The amp needs upgrading too. Think about a Fender Mustang, Vavletronix or Vypyr.

It seems like you're looking at upgrading anyway. What music/bands/guitarists do you like?

In regards to Jackson, I'm no expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
outlawten5

old metallica, judas priest, megadeth, most 80's hair bands. I like the way the squier plays and it sounds decent on the neck and middle pup. I was hoping a good set of pups would clean up the sound a bit.
As far as Jacksons go I will look for a good used one.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪

Answer 1: Don't spend a lot on the Squier, it's not worth it. If you like the neck and middle pickup on the Squier and want a more metal sound from the Bullet buy a used SD Hotrails from eBay. $50 or less.

Answer 2: If you like the Squier Bullet consider an American Strat used from Craig's List. I see nice ones for $600 all the time. Comparable quality Jacksons will run you nearly twice as much.

Answer 3: Buy a used Peavey tube Vypyr because it will destroy the Crate.
BobDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
arc anjil

"A better amp will make a bad guitar sound better, but a better guitar will not make a bad amp sound better".

If the guitar will hold its tune and the neck is playable, go for a better amp first. At least it will sound a whole lot better while you save up for a better axe.
arc anjil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Axe Murderer

Get a better amp.
Axe Murderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Ha, you're like me, just started getting back into it after a decade or so of not playing.

I wouldn't bother upgrading the bullet, it's not worth it for such cheap guitar. Put the money towards your new rig.

Now that I think of it, the Bullet might not be the best for the type of music you like as it has single coil pick-ups opposed to humbuckers. I have a cheap single coil guitar (Lyon by Washburn) and I don't use it for metal as the sound is too thin/tinny.

Last edited by Huge Guy : 02-13-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
outlawten5

BobDetroit, I was just looking at that same Peavey amp and they will give me a hundred for my Crate on a trade. Good deal for me as I only paid a hundred for the squier and the Crate. Gonna try that first and see how my guitar sounds through it.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Battery Chicken
Viva la Revolucion!

Go second hand with everything you can, the more you save on one the more you have to spend on another. I bought my American Strat secondhand for the price of a new Mexican Strat.
Battery Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
outlawten5

Could anyone tell me the value of a 1997 Jackson Professional Dinky DX-1? Found one on craigslist and seems like a good deal. Thanks for all the replies I have received. They have been very helpful
Old 02-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
outlawten5

First off thanks everyone for your help and advice. I ended up buying a '91 Charvel Fusion and Vyper 100 amp. Gonna be a learning curve on this amp, there are so many settings. lol

Rate This Thread: