Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Smaratelj
Idiot

A couple of questions 'bout setup

Hey guys, this weekend I got myself a nice new axe. An ESP Horizon NT2, and let me tell you, that thing if so sweet you'd want to lick it if you saw it. I don't have any pictures, but I think the first results on Google image search will show you (the brownish one).

It's amazing, but there's only one thing, my first few frets on the 5th and 6th string are buzzing a bit, and the 1st and 2nd fret on the 1st and 2nd string feel like scratching. That's because it obviously still has those ridiculously low factory string height settings, and a tiny bit of a backbow.

What I'm wondering is, I should obviously loosen the truss rod a bit (counter-clockwise?) to give it a bit more bow. And get the strings a bit up higher since that's what suits me and I'd get more tone (which is FANTASTIC), so

1. Do I have to do it in a certain order, like, first get the strings up a bit, or first do the truss rod and see if it solves the problem (and I might not heighten the strings)?

2. I'm aware people say that the guitars "change" a bit with seasons, and that small modifications will be needed. Is this usually just the truss rod?

Cheers!

Smaratelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

read this http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=602241

not only does it describe how to do most set-up work correctly, it will also help you identify whether you need to to certain work or not.

also, always, always try a new set of strings- particularly on a new guitar- before you go mucking about with the set-up.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Jyrgen
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
also, always, always try a new set of strings- particularly on a new guitar- before you go mucking about with the set-up.

Yeah that is important, old strings can in fact cause buzz that would not exist with new ones

Congratz on the ESP, it is prolly the one I'd buy if I were to get an ESP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Jyrgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Smaratelj
Idiot

Cheers guys, and the strings were new, they were still all... zingy? You know, they had that new, nice acoustical sound to them.

Smaratelj is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: