Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Used valve amps?

Hey! Well basically, I'm going to be looking to purchase a decent tube amp sooner or later, but I don't really have the money for some expensive, pro gear. I was wandering where in the UK, it would be best to look for used amps, whether it be online or in shops. (Although I live a little out of the way from cities and stuff)

I don't think I should spend a bomb on gear. I'm by no means a pro, and I have to spend money wisely anyway. I would just like something a little better than my current little Fender practise amp. I hear you get great tone from a valve amp, and I play with my friends sometimes, and may need the extra volume & Tone.

Any ideas anyone? Suggestions appreciated

Thanks!
Acechao111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
EncoreBlade

Used gear is definitely the way to go. I'm from the States, but I'm pretty sure it works similarly over there. I believe looking around locally would be the best since you get to test it out for yourself as well as trying to haggle down the price. Buying used online (such as ebay) may be a bit more costlier/risky than going around locally, but you get the added benefit of having more options. Buying used from an online retailer, such as Guitar Center for me, could also be a bit costlier, however it's pretty much risk free since they usually let you return it.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
EncoreBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
Reddaz

eBay's obviously good for used gear, but used kinda gear depends on your local area. I think there's a PMT's in Manchester, Birmingham and London, they're a reasonably priced guitar shop that I know of that have good deals on used gear too.
gear4music.com usually really cheap for any new gear, so might be a good alternative to used.
Reddaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

I'd like to buy used, and preferably not online because of postage costs, plus I might prefer how one amp feels than another. Only thing is, I don't know where I'd look.

There are no kinda, 'used items' stores around here, and I don't think I've ever seen used guitars/amps for sale anywhere. I have one local guitar shop, which is where I buy my gear, but I don't remember really ever seeing any of the sorts of amps I'd like, plus they would be more expensive. (It's also a small store, not much choice with amps at all, but plenty of guitars)
Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

what kind of money are you talking, and what type(s) of music do you play?

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
what kind of money are you talking, and what type(s) of music do you play?

Well I was seeing good amps online, combos, for like 400-600 new. & Used ones for less, but with huge postage. I'd be willing to be flexible, but for used gear, I'm hoping there would be reasonable prices.

I play mainly pop punk/punk rock/alternative rock type of stuff. I'm just looking for something to capture the types of tones for bands I play, usually distorted, like Blink-182, Green Day, NOFX, but also with a decent clean tone for things like Billy Talent or whatever. Last time I asked for advice to do with my genres, people recommended various Peavey, Marshall, Traynor, Laney models etc.. But my real issue is where to find used amps.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
AndyGray
UG Addict

Valveking 100-watt head for sale in Cardiff. He's ripped the badge off, but for 120 you'll NEVER find anything better.

RUN & BUY IT NOOOWWW!!

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/p...head/1013264113

Then buy a used Digitech Bad Monkey, 40 tops.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digitech-...=item2c6d6a60e4

Then all you need is a cab & you're well on your way!

Last edited by AndyGray : 03-26-2013 at 12:18 PM.
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGray
Valveking 100-watt head for sale in Cardiff. He's ripped the badge off, but for 120 you'll NEVER find anything better.

RUN & BUY IT NOOOWWW!!

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/p...head/1013264113

Then buy a used Digitech Bad Monkey, 40 tops.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digitech-...=item2c6d6a60e4

Then all you need is a cab & you're well on your way!

This does seem cool! Only thing is, the idea of a combo is good because of how easy it is to bring it around, a head & cab is a little overkill for what I want.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
sk8board3r
Just call me Gary

Websites like Kijiji and Craigslist are the best for used gear. I try to stay away from Ebay for amps/guitars because you can't play them before hand.

When buying used equipment, make arrangements with the seller to play them when you buy them. Normally they won't have a problem with this (unless there's something that they are trying to hide.)
BOSS
Deltalab
Orange
Hughs & Kettner

https://soundcloud.com/gary-vanluling
Check out some of my home stuff !
UX1 & Ez Drummer

(listen to the Ode to Tarantino!)
sk8board3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
daverichards
loves his fenders

Gumtree is where I've sourced my 'gear' over the years,

you really need to know what amp you want first, then stalk gumtree like a ninja..
daverichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #11
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddaz
eBay's obviously good for used gear, but used kinda gear depends on your local area. I think there's a PMT's in Manchester, Birmingham and London, they're a reasonably priced guitar shop that I know of that have good deals on used gear too.
gear4music.com usually really cheap for any new gear, so might be a good alternative to used.

PMT are great, I'm originally from Southend where they started out. I remember their first store, it was quite small but had a nice range and the guys knew their stuff for sure! These days they can be a little on the pricey side for used gear but I feel there is piece of mind attached to the price so it's not bad.

As an interesting (or perhaps not so depending on your take) point they were still using the old shop as storage last time I went back to stinky old essex, or at least it looked that way. The original branch has been closed for at least 12 years I'd say but still has all the PMT sinage.

Last edited by NotTheMessiah30 : 03-26-2013 at 11:15 PM.
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #12
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acechao111
This does seem cool! Only thing is, the idea of a combo is good because of how easy it is to bring it around, a head & cab is a little overkill for what I want.
Nah man. Combos are still heavy so if you have a brain you use a trolley/dolley. Get one with a strap so you can tie it all down and whether it's a combo or a head/cab is immaterial.
Roland GP-8
Quadraverb
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:09 AM   #13
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

If you get a head/can or a combo with identical amps and speakers, it's gonna weight the same (my 212 combo is 50kg), with it in head and cab, you only have to lift half the weight at a time
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
Reddaz

The best bargains for 2nd hand gear are always going to be face to face with no middle man, so talk to muso's at local pub gigs and jam nights, if you rent a practice room chat to other bands (make up some guff about borrowing a jack lead for practice if you need to), just generally be part of local music scene and you'll tap into who's buying & selling gear. I got a virtually mint 6505 head for 600 with a cab thrown in this way, no way I'd get that kind bargain from any guitar shop or auction site!
Reddaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: