Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Drums
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
MellowDeath

Books for drummers.

Me and my mates jam quite a bit in our school's music rooms, the issue is, we don't have a drummer. So being the bigger man I've decided to fill that spot. So far I can only do the very basic 4/4 beat.

So I'd like a book that can help me with learning some fills/turn arounds and some other basic beats. We play mostly rock/blues. I don't want to be amazing at drums, just good enough to jam to. I don't really care to learn songs themselves, but it's good practice.

So what books should I get?
And what other things should I learn to be able to be a useful drummer?
MellowDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Second Rate

If all you're looking to do is play basic blues/rock at this point, i would advise this:

Since you say you've got the hang of the basic rock beat, to put it into bluesier territory, try this: instead of doing straight eighth notes with your lead hand, do triplets. With the bass drum hitting on the first beat of the first and third triplets and the snare on the first beat of the second and fourth triplets. Then, once you've got the hang of that... omit the second note of every triplet.
Second Rate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
Steve08

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowDeath
Me and my mates jam quite a bit in our school's music rooms, the issue is, we don't have a drummer. So being the bigger man I've decided to fill that spot. So far I can only do the very basic 4/4 beat.

So I'd like a book that can help me with learning some fills/turn arounds and some other basic beats. We play mostly rock/blues. I don't want to be amazing at drums, just good enough to jam to. I don't really care to learn songs themselves, but it's good practice.

So what books should I get?
And what other things should I learn to be able to be a useful drummer?
Check out Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone (contain all exercises necessary to develop amazing hands, and if you apply the exercises to different drums, play certain notes on the feet instead of hands, and orchestrate them between different surfaces, they can be used as fills and grooves), The Drummer's Bible by Mick Berry (outlines grooves from pretty much every style of music), and The New Breed by Gary Chester (serves to develop limb independence, sight reading ability and overall improvement as a musician). I'd also recommend Open Handed Playing by Dom Famularo if you're interested in a challenging, yet progressive and unique approach to drumset playing.

Also, Rudiment Grooves for Drum Set by Rick Considine is a great resource, as well.
If you know me and have been wondering where I've been, I'm mostly on Sherdog MMA, Skype, and Facebook now, so feel free to private message me if you'd like to remain in touch some way if we don't already.

Last edited by Steve08 : 01-04-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
MellowDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Rate
If all you're looking to do is play basic blues/rock at this point, i would advise this:

Since you say you've got the hang of the basic rock beat, to put it into bluesier territory, try this: instead of doing straight eighth notes with your lead hand, do triplets. With the bass drum hitting on the first beat of the first and third triplets and the snare on the first beat of the second and fourth triplets. Then, once you've got the hang of that... omit the second note of every triplet.

I've experimented with the triplet beat already. But I haven't done it with dropping the 2nd note. If I'm right, that's a swing beat isn't it?

Off to the music room with me!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
MellowDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve08
Check out Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone (contain all exercises necessary to develop amazing hands, and if you apply the exercises to different drums, play certain notes on the feet instead of hands, and orchestrate them between different surfaces, they can be used as fills and grooves), The Drummer's Bible by Mick Berry (outlines grooves from pretty much every style of music), and The New Breed by Gary Chester (serves to develop limb independence, sight reading ability and overall improvement as a musician). I'd also recommend Open Handed Playing by Dom Famularo if you're interested in a challenging, yet progressive and unique approach to drumset playing.

Also, Rudiment Grooves for Drum Set by Rick Considine is a great resource, as well.

Thanks for the advice!

How difficult is it to apply snare only to a whole set? ATM it seems possible, but still abstract :P
IŽll see which ones I can get and add it to my shopping list.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Steve08

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowDeath
Thanks for the advice!

How difficult is it to apply snare only to a whole set? ATM it seems possible, but still abstract :P
IŽll see which ones I can get and add it to my shopping list.
Certainly. To answer your question, not hard at all. Just, as I said, play the same idea, even if it's something as simple as a single stroke roll (RLRL or LRLR... don't neglect left hand lead), and then move it between how many cymbals, toms and snares you have. RLRL is still the same rudiment even if played on the snare, or alternatively, the snare, 1st and 2nd rack toms and left crash cymbal, etc.
If you know me and have been wondering where I've been, I'm mostly on Sherdog MMA, Skype, and Facebook now, so feel free to private message me if you'd like to remain in touch some way if we don't already.
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Books for drummers?

Sure...

Sorry, can't resist low hanging fruit...

But more seriously, perhaps this will help.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Learn_to_Play_Drums

Rate This Thread: