Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-12-2015, 10:23 PM   #5081
merriman44

https://soundcloud.com/david-merrim...picture/s-Qygi1

New scream, what the hell is it? Don't mind the off-key Iron Maiden singing, I've been listening to them alot lately.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:26 AM   #5082
KuroiSakebi

Sounds like some kind of power fry to me. Maybe coupled with some unique mouth shaping?
How's your throat position? High, low?
How the pressure and flow. High pressure, low-mid air flow?
Where do you feel the resonance? Nose (above lips) level?

Last edited by KuroiSakebi : 08-14-2015 at 07:28 AM.
KuroiSakebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #5083
merriman44

Don't worry about throat position. Usually midline unless I'm working on widening out my head voice. Resonance is in the pharynx region between lower teeth and nose level depending on pitch.
High abdomenal pressure, no tension at throat level or above. Air flow is low to mid.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #5084
KuroiSakebi

Usually, low mid airflow, from what I gathered, is directly linked to either very efficient false chord or fry-powerfry. Resonance at that level (between teeth) is also linked to power fry.

I'll listen again tonight, see if I can figure out more.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #5085
BloodReverence

@merriman44 Sounds like a pitched fry scream to me. Still in a pretty rough starting state, but I'm sure you could get it to work out pretty well. Pitched screaming tends to take out a bit of the distortion and muck with the sound a bit, so it takes some time to work out the details.

Also wish I had that plugin, it sounds like it solves all the issues I have in recording ahaha
BloodReverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:01 PM   #5086
KuroiSakebi

@merriman Finally got around to it again. I still think this is power fry. I can clearly hear to rasping sound in the background around 0:43 at "your". It does that little distinct sandpaper whatever rasp.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:08 PM   #5087
BloodReverence

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroiSakebi
@merriman Finally got around to it again. I still think this is power fry. I can clearly hear to rasping sound in the background around 0:43 at "your". It does that little distinct sandpaper whatever rasp.

As someone who operates on primarily power fry, this is not it my friend.

It's fry, but you're not fulling distorting, which is why I said it's more of a pitched scream. It sounds like fry distortion for sure, but you're still singing in it, which makes it more to the end result of a very distorted singing tone, so I used the term Pitched Scream
Old 08-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #5088
KuroiSakebi

Interesting, can you half fry and keep a pitch at the same time?
Maybe we could compare with merriman's experiment.

This would be more of a pitched fry I guess because there's an equivalent with false chord but it doesn't sound like that at all when I try it.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:24 AM   #5089
merriman44

To be fair gents, I technically have never been able to progress a try fry beyond the grudge sound. So is this possibly fry? I guess. But I think it's most likely due to some other mechanism that is similar that we just don't know a whole lot about. There are many vocalists use utilize weird "pitched screams" as BR puts it and when asked how they do it, they have no clue.

It's certainly got a note in it. Essentially it's just a more distorted version of some of my other vocals. Just amped up so to speak. Now that I'm back from vacation, I'll look into practicing it along with my head voice and see what, if anything, comes of it. Incidentally, I would love another stable voicing to work with for my concept album. Here's hoping (but not to optimistically).
Old 08-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #5090
BloodReverence

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...chedScreams.mp3

Listen to this, this should clear things up for you guys. It's a pitched fry scream, akin to just regular distortion over singing, just pushed a bit farther than usual.

Either way, it's definitely a fun tool to have in your arsenal, and I find it extremely useful if you put light amounts on singing to get that more gravelly tone that you'll hear on a lot of rock singers these days.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #5091
KuroiSakebi

Definitely nailed it BR. It sounds very similar to merriman's in texture.
Congrats on finding your fry scream merriman.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:26 AM   #5092
BloodReverence

On another note, as some tips to help you with developing your fry scream Merriman, here's a few things I noticed.

You're using a LOT of nasality in it. If you try to hit more on your soft pallet and open the throat, making a more forward feeling sound, it'll round out the fry sound and make it more aurally pleasing.

For the actual scream part, it's a combination of pushing more distortion on it, putting it very forward facing, then utilizing only your falsetto as a backing instead of your full voice like you're using now.

You'll get it soon though, considering how well you've been able to master everything else!
Old 08-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #5093
merriman44

DAAAAYUUM dude! That was ripping!

I will take all this into account and get to working!

Thanks man!

Rate This Thread: