Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
AcidParadox

Is it worth it or should I wait?

Hey UG, I'm new here. I've been lurking around here for a while and finally decided to make an account. A little background info, I'm 13 and I've just started playing guitar again about 2 months ago. I used to play when I was 5, but I eventually lost interest and stopped taking lessons. I've forgotten most of what I had learned, but I'm slowly but surely getting better.

Anyway, for Christmas, I asked my mom for an acoustic guitar, because I wanted to start learning again. All she could afford to get me was a 60$ First Act Acoustic from Walmart. No picks or a strap, I've had to earn enough money to pay for those myself. I've been using the strings that came with the guitar. The other day, my high E string broke in half while I was tuning. The guitar came with an extra one of those strings, so I tried to put in a new one myself. It didn't turn out well. I ended up put a long gash in my thumb and breaking that string in half. I don't want to try that again until I find someone that can teach me how to restring it. The internet tutorials aren't working for me.

My local music shop won't just restring one string, I have to pay for a pack of strings and the labor to restring each one. That is about 50 bucks. My mom can't pay for it and says I have to save up. The thing is, I'm already saving to buy an Epiphone LP that's on sale. Should I use that 50 bucks to save a 60 dollar guitar or just continue saving to get that LP?
AcidParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
mike_oxbig

any guitar store that would charge a 13 year old (or anyone else for that matter) 50 bucks to replace one string should be ashamed of themselves, i hope you're exaggerating. go to a small shop and they'll likely help you for the cost of a new string (about a dollar)
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
mike_oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
stepchildusmc

acid.. where do you live? i'm sure anyone here would be happy to re-string it for free and show you how to do it yourself. if your in upstate NY, i have no problem with that. any other takers in this forum???
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Amaseng

Getting a full restring would be like, $10 plus $5 or $6 for a pack of strings at the most. Whichever music store you're going to is ripping you off and you should look into other stores that won't screw you like that. Also, don't necessarily be drawn to "small" shops for these types of things, there's a local store down the street from me that charges double MSRP for everything they sell.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
AYarusch
Experimental Omega

ummm, acoustic strings are 4-10 canadian bucks. Dude, find a small shop with a nice owner, and ask him if he would be willing to look at your guit for burrs or sharp edges, they also *usually* change the strings for free if you ask nicely. You in Montreal, I could help if you are.
AYarusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
AcidParadox

It is a small shop, but the owner isn't necessarily nice. It's the only one in my area (I live in a small town in WV) and they take advantage of that by charging extreme prices. I'm seriously not exaggerating, unless the lady on the phone was mistaken.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
zero
UG Veteran

This story makes me mad, I get so pissed at these retailers extorting people purely because they have no other choice or no experience. Whatever you do don't pay that shop, and if its possible, don't buy anything from them again. That price seems so ridiculous I would almost suggest taking your guitar in there to buy a string and ask the person behind the counter how much it costs to fit it, $50 is crazy.

Changing strings is easy, and its something that you will need to learn. We all have had breakages and cut ourselves changing strings, its part of the learning process, if your really worried wear some safety glasses

Perhaps another forum user can provide you with a link to a *good* tutorial. Failing this have a look if there are any guitar teachers in your area who may give you a 'lesson' on re-stringing for a small fee.

Last edited by zero : 02-19-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: I spell like a 4th grader
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
Captaincranky

OK, here's a video on changing acoustic strings: I didn't watch it, simply because there are so many responses to the search term, "changing acoustic guitar strings". So, you can do an additional search if this particular video doesn't resonate with you.

I would like to think you were misquoted a price on the telephone, and the 50 buck price was for doing a complete setup on the guitar.

If it wasn't, the price quote should be instrumental in motivating you to learn to change your own strings, and in a hurry. It really is no big deal.

Sorry for the musical puns, "resonate", and "instrumental". They weren't delivered intentionally, just my style of writing...
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
zero
UG Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
I would like to think you were misquoted a price on the telephone, and the 50 buck price was for doing a complete setup on the guitar.

This thought did cross my mind as well, the $50 could be for a whole set up, which would be a waste of money on a Walmart guitar IMO.
So it might be worth checking with the store as this could be what they quoted you for. (A setup includes a bunch of adjustments that you don't need to worry about at this point in time)
Old 02-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #10
Captaincranky

I suppose this is as good a thread as any to discuss the modern realities of running a small music shop. It's difficult for one to stay in business with competitors such as Walmart, and the entire internet.

I suppose it isn't fair for someone to buy a guitar at Walmart, then expect, (a perhaps struggling), local music store, to be sympathetic to someone who walks in with a Walmart bought guitar.

That said, fifty bucks is by any definition of standard, overreacting.

Oh well, this really isn't about the social dynamic of modern business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidParadox
My local music shop won't just restring one string, I have to pay for a pack of strings and the labor to restring each one. That is about 50 bucks. My mom can't pay for it and says I have to save up. The thing is, I'm already saving to buy an Epiphone LP that's on sale. Should I use that 50 bucks to save a 60 dollar guitar or just continue saving to get that LP?
You should adopt a multi faceted approach to your plans rather than an "either / or", methodology.

You, should, buy a pack of strings, learn to string the guitar, and continue to save toward a better guitar. The last part is only if you plan on sticking with it this time.

You really only sustain non life threatening injuries while restringing a gutar. That said, man up.

You need a pair of diagonal cutters, or a pair of "lineman's pliers", and it would be nice if you had a peg winder.

Loosen the string you want to change.

Remove the bridge pin associated with that string.

make a "C" bend on the ball end of the new string.

Put the ball end into the pin hole, making sure the "C" bend loops forward under the bridge.

Replace the bridge pin, making sure the groove in the bridge pin is pointing toward the headstock, and the string is resting in the groove. Seat the pin by pushing it firmly into the bridge.

Pull the string taut at the headstock, and make a right angle bend in it, about 1 1/2 inches past the tuner post where the string is to be placed.

With one finger, hold the string against the fret board (*), and wind the tuner until the string comes up to pitch, making sure that it coils onto the tuner post correctly. I find it easier to make the first couple of turns around the tuning peg myself, rather than winding the tuner. (Every time the end of the string comes around, make sure it doesn't get tangled in the other strings or the coil around the post.

Cut the end off the string AFTER you have brought it up to pitch, not before.

I really hope this really isn't some bullshit teenage scam to weasel your way to a new guitar. I really hate unnecessary typing. Let us know how you make out....

(*) Some people use a capo for this.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 02-20-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:04 AM   #11
Viban
UG's resident bum

could have just been a crappy string? also if you are trying it by ear you might be a bit sharp which would cause extra tension/string breakage.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #12
zero
UG Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
I suppose this is as good a thread as any to discuss the modern realities of running a small music shop. It's difficult for one to stay in business with competitors such as Walmart, and the entire internet.

I suppose it isn't fair for someone to buy a guitar at Walmart, then expect, (a perhaps struggling), local music store, to be sympathetic to someone who walks in with a Walmart bought guitar.

This is a good point, and the situation small shops are in now is a tricky one.
If you were taking it to a popular tech who had a 3 week waiting list then sure, he's not going to help you for nothing. But when its just some slacker sitting behind the counter with nothing better to do and who, presumably, is trying to grow a business - that's a different story.
Back in the day I didn't care because bad shops would push customers to the good shops - but now it just pushes customers to the internet (and they rarely return) so it hurts the hardworking honest music shops too.

If it was my music shop I would of looked at it as an opportunity to acquire a new customer... not many people buy their second guitar from Walmart.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
AcidParadox

Thanks for the help guys. I actually went to the shop, and the lady on the phone actually -did- misquote the price (thank God). I just bought some strings and the guitar teacher at the shop heard me ask the lady about them restringing it for me, and he decided to teach me how for free. He also offered me lessons, so now I know how to restring a guitar and I have a new teacher.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
stepchildusmc

good for you acid ! congrats!!!! i hope you keep up with it. its probably one of the most self-rewarding things i've done. keep us informed on your progress.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #15
staticoverdub

I feel like I just watched something on ABC Family...
untouched and in plain sight
staticoverdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #16
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticoverdub
I feel like I just watched something on ABC Family...
Are you sure you're not thinking of either, "Lifetime" or A&E"...?

Last edited by Captaincranky : 02-21-2012 at 01:58 AM.

Rate This Thread: