Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
qotsakyuss
Robot Rock

Best tuners for a Gibson Marauder?

Howdy guys, never been into modding gear before but I recently picked up a Japanese lawsuit era Gibson Marauder replica, needs a new nut, refinish on the headstock and some new tuners.

The latter two things I can get sorted easily enough but tuner wise i'm not sure what's best to do. The original tuners screws fit in diagonally at opposite ends, not a problem as it just means new holes have to be drilled in to fit different tuners. As I said i've never really modded any of my guitars so as far as picking the best tuners I don't really know what's good and what's not.

I quite dig the look of the tulip shaped ones or the more rounded grovers you get on epiphones sometimes. As far as ratios I don't know what to be looking for really.

Point being anyone got any suggestions of tuners that may be good for this specific guitar? Retro vibes and accuracy are most important really.

Cheers

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange Ad 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab

ain't telling you my pedals!
qotsakyuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
Guitbuilder

You need to find out the size of the hole in the headstock before choosing anything. Then find a set of tuners that don't need the headstock holes enlarged to fit them. Enlarging headstock holes can be a pain. Maybe your existing top post bushings will fit new tuners if the new tuners need larger holes, but the post is the same.diameter.
Guitbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

Do they look like this at the moment?

-MintSauce- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
qotsakyuss
Robot Rock

Sorry for the very late reply guys!
Current ones look like this, the placement of the screws make it really tricky to find others that would fit, I'm thinking it's pretty likely I'm going to have to drill some new holes, I don't doing so just want to make sure I buy something I know is going to work well

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange Ad 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab

Last edited by qotsakyuss : 02-03-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

-MintSauce- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
qotsakyuss
Robot Rock

I'm rather impressed you were actually able to find some in that style! They look fine to me but do you think they wouldn't be very good quality? The price is pretty cheap in comparison to most of the main brands, not in a gear snob way but of course if they aren't made well it's probably not a good buy, what do you think? I know a guy who is literally a wizard with guitars and amps so drilling new holes wouldn't be a problem if need be for different tuners, think I'm mainly after something I know will be of good quality and tune well

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange Ad 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab

Rate This Thread: