Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #21
Axl1399
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Exactly what kingking22 said, I live in Greece, I'm 15 and I just can't spend much money on this, so there really is no way I can get a tube at this point. I mean, finding a 6505 here in Greece is rare so I'd have to buy one off Ebay or Amazon which means they have to send it in the mail from the UK or somewhere far from Greece and something as heavy as a 6505 would probably cost as much as the actual amp to send here.


So basically we are between the Duncan Distortion, Seymour Duncan JB, and a Bareknuckle

Haven't heard much about Dimarzio pickups here. What about the X2N?

Thanks again
Axl1399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #22
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.
 
Random3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
I can't speak for that model, but I know from experience that the DiMarzio Crunch Lab and LiquiFire set is incredible, whether it suits your needs is another question however but I would suggest checking them out on YouTube.

As far as the amp goes, the 6505 combo is great for the price but I wouldn't say it's a huge upgrade from the Vypyr, especially as how the Vypyr is far more versatile. It may be worth trying two identical, or at least similar, guitars with different pickups in each through your amp just so that you understand how much of a difference it will actually make. Given that the Vypyr is a modelling amp, it will likely be a much smaller difference than you are expecting,
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #23
dvanhandel96
Registered User
 
dvanhandel96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
[QUOTE/] Haven't heard much about Dimarzio pickups here. What about the X2N?

Thanks again[/QUOTE]
Didn't Chuck use those?
__________________
"These strings will last longer and sound better because I said so."- Dave Mustaine
dvanhandel96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #24
cheesefries
High Five!
 
cheesefries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl1399
Exactly what kingking22 said, I live in Greece, I'm 15 and I just can't spend much money on this, so there really is no way I can get a tube at this point. I mean, finding a 6505 here in Greece is rare so I'd have to buy one off Ebay or Amazon which means they have to send it in the mail from the UK or somewhere far from Greece and something as heavy as a 6505 would probably cost as much as the actual amp to send here.


So basically we are between the Duncan Distortion, Seymour Duncan JB, and a Bareknuckle

Haven't heard much about Dimarzio pickups here. What about the X2N?

Thanks again


Your best bet would be to YouTube those Duncans along with the Dimarzios that were recommended. They all sound excellent in their own way. The Bareknuckle versions do sound a bit better (clearer/definied) IMO but its kind of a pickup you get to tweak your sound after you have an almost complete rig and know what you are going after. Plus it costs 4 times as much as a standard duncan
You'll probably be much happier with a duncan/dimarzio and stash the extra cash away for a better amp fund.
__________________
Gibsons & Fenders

Marshall DSL50
Marshall 1960b (V30/G12T75)

PolyTune, EH Small Stone, MXR Wylde OD, Boss DD3
cheesefries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #25
Velcro Man
A person
 
Velcro Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
For thrash sounds, a Dimarzio Steve's Special in the bridge would be unbeatable, it has that nice, scooped sounds I'm sure you'd like, maybe a super distortion in the neck for nice leads, though it is a bit higher output than the steve's special.

I'd avoid Seymour Duncans, they're too muddy for a lot of chugging rhythm playing. Depends on whether or not you like articulation or the notes to run together.

Last edited by Velcro Man : 02-14-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Velcro Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #26
MaaZeus
Registered User
 
MaaZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvanhandel96
Didn't Chuck use those?



Yeah. As did Eddie Clark on Motörhead. They are insanely high output, which may be a good thing or bad thing depending on your rig. One might consider them way overkill for nowaday high gain amps but excellent to get a grind out of older high gain amps that just need that last push to extreme stuff.

Relatively flat, not shrill or bassy but still balanced on the treble side. I personally like them for Thrash and Death metal but thats about it and extreme metal (not modern ubertight djenty stuff) in general. Not exactly the most versatile pickup out there.

D-Activator X would be the modern version of this pickup, slightly toned down output and warmer sound. I have not heard that one personally though, just passing down what is said about it.
__________________

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 02-14-2014 at 03:46 PM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #27
Axl1399
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I don't play modern metal, just Thrash, Speed, Heavy

As far as Dimarzio Steve's Special goes, I haven't heard of them before so I'm not sure

Right now, from what I heard, the Duncan Distortion handles metal better than the JB, and the Bareknuckle is out of budget

So I'm in between Duncan Distortions and Dimarzio X2Ns.
Remember, I'm playing through a modelling amp and my guitar has Paulownia wood
Thank you all for the really quick answers
Axl1399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #28
Velcro Man
A person
 
Velcro Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl1399
I don't play modern metal, just Thrash, Speed, Heavy

As far as Dimarzio Steve's Special goes, I haven't heard of them before so I'm not sure

Right now, from what I heard, the Duncan Distortion handles metal better than the JB, and the Bareknuckle is out of budget

So I'm in between Duncan Distortions and Dimarzio X2Ns.
Remember, I'm playing through a modelling amp and my guitar has Paulownia wood
Thank you all for the really quick answers


Check out sound samples on their website and youtube, if you use a distortion, you will be highly disappointed. Duncans are good for death and some black metal, but thrash requires high articulation in the rhythm playing, your chugs have to sound clear and defined, rhythm playing on Duncans sounds like all the notes run together. Idk about X2Ns, they basically do one sound and that's about it, bit too high gain and noisy for thrash and speed metal.

Clarity and definition are what you need to look for, Dimarzio does it muuuuch better than any Duncan on the market. You could also consider EMGs, they're great for clarity in metal, though, clean it up and it sounds compressed as all hell. D-activators aren't a bad choice either.
Velcro Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #29
cheesefries
High Five!
 
cheesefries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velcro Man
if you use a distortion, you will be highly disappointed. Duncans are good for death and some black metal, but thrash requires high articulation in the rhythm playing, your chugs have to sound clear and defined, rhythm playing on Duncans sounds like all the notes run together.


wut? Seymour Duncan doesn't have much interest in that chugga chugga market but at least he is trying. Sounds good to me.

__________________
Gibsons & Fenders

Marshall DSL50
Marshall 1960b (V30/G12T75)

PolyTune, EH Small Stone, MXR Wylde OD, Boss DD3

Last edited by cheesefries : 02-14-2014 at 06:16 PM.
cheesefries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #30
Velcro Man
A person
 
Velcro Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesefries
wut? Seymour Duncan doesn't have much interest in that chugga chugga market but at least he is trying. Sounds good to me.



It just sounds way too muddy and warm for speed/thrash metal.



Good example, 8 string, but only comparison i see lol
Velcro Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #31
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
 
Blackfire.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Beyond the North Waves
I use SD Black Winters in one of my axes and it's great for thrash/death/black if that's what you want to play. I use an ENGL tube amp, but with your modeling amp it won't matter that much on pickup selection. Probably most of the recommended pickups on this thread will work with your amp the same way.
__________________
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Blackfire. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #32
cheesefries
High Five!
 
cheesefries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velcro Man
It just sounds way too muddy and warm for speed/thrash metal.



Good example, 8 string, but only comparison i see lol


to be honest with you I think they both sound like pure absolute shit and I don't play that stuff anyway. So my recommendations are probably not helpful

pickups for "well definined chugging" lol. I'll leave that to the Chugsperts
__________________
Gibsons & Fenders

Marshall DSL50
Marshall 1960b (V30/G12T75)

PolyTune, EH Small Stone, MXR Wylde OD, Boss DD3

Last edited by cheesefries : 02-14-2014 at 07:05 PM.
cheesefries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #33
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy
 
ethan_hanus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cedar Park, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Emg HZ sucks. Low output and thin sounding. If you want EMGs, go for their actives. Thats the Metallica route.
Duncan Distortion is relatively safe choice. JB is modified, brighter version of it. Dave Mustaine used to use JBs for quite a while.

Invader divides opinions. If you play Morbid Angel type stuff this is the pickup to go to but otherwise maybe not.

I love Dimarzio X2N, insane output and growl. Not the most articulate pickup out there but not muddy either if you keep them relatively far from magnets. Its insane pickup for insane sounds.


The HZ's except the SRO OC1 sound like crap. I've played with this pickup before on a terrible condition AXL mayhem and it was a magnificent pickup. And I'm comparing this to a Bareknuckle Painkiller, BKP Trilogy Suites, and even EMG 81's, all of which went through the same guitar(my Squier) and amp(Valveking) at one point.

If you don't wanna go the active route, get the EMG SRO OC1 set, or if you want some awesome quality expensive pickups, Bareknuckle Nailbombs or Aftermaths are right up your alley.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #34
Velcro Man
A person
 
Velcro Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesefries
to be honest with you I think they both sound like pure absolute shit and I don't play that stuff anyway. So my recommendations are probably not helpful

pickups for "well definined chugging" lol. I'll leave that to the Chugsperts


Well, the d-activator isn't my favorite dimarzio, but it was more defined. If you don't like metal, you will probably hate the tone of stuff like the d-activator or nazgul. But yeah, if you don't like this style...why did you comment, just to imply it's somehow inferior to whatever you like? Completely counterproductive for the OP, they want thrash and speed, regardless of whether or not WE like it is irrelevant, we either try to help them or just move on.
Velcro Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #35
Axl1399
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Im this close to buying a Duncan Distortion..
Axl1399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #36
MaaZeus
Registered User
 
MaaZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_hanus
The HZ's except the SRO OC1 sound like crap. I've played with this pickup before on a terrible condition AXL mayhem and it was a magnificent pickup. And I'm comparing this to a Bareknuckle Painkiller, BKP Trilogy Suites, and even EMG 81's, all of which went through the same guitar(my Squier) and amp(Valveking) at one point.

If you don't wanna go the active route, get the EMG SRO OC1 set, or if you want some awesome quality expensive pickups, Bareknuckle Nailbombs or Aftermaths are right up your alley.



I have not heard anything about that HZ SRO OC1. I currently have HZ H4 and (*shudder*) HZ 7 string. HZ H4 is passable as stock pickup on low-midrange guitars but 7 string is an abomination. I swear its a scam that forces people to upgrade into EMG actives and until lately there was not any choices either too thanks to the soap bar design. I guess there is a reason why its not even listed in EMG website.
__________________

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 02-16-2014 at 08:45 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #37
Axl1399
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bump._.

Duncan Distortion?
Axl1399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:50 AM   #38
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dungeons
I'm refusing to budge on my position for you to save up enough money to buy a new amp. Spending a lot of money on pickups seems a bit of a waste when a new amp is going to help you so much more.

Sorry, but I'm sticking with that idea. I know it will be a more expensive solution, but the effect is going to be far, far more dramatic for every penny you put into it compared to buying pickups. A set of pickups isn't going to magically turn a practice amp into a 6505 and I think you're setting yourself up for failure if you think it will.

I never said getting a new amp would be easy, I said it'll be worth it.

But then again, I do live in the UK, a place where there is a proper market for tube amps. So I suppose I should check my privilege first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingking22
Yeah but the TC asked about pickups and not about amps so why try to steer the topic in a different direction. A good amp costs five or six times more than a pair of decent pickups so there is no relation.

The topic is ultimately to improve TS' sound, so I don't see how what I'm saying is moving away from that aim. and I don't see how there isn't a relation because I don't see spending £500 on a new amp that'll make a big difference vs spending £200 on a new set of pickups that'll make a relatively minor difference as being all that unreasonable a comparison imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random3
As far as the amp goes, the 6505 combo is great for the price but I wouldn't say it's a huge upgrade from the Vypyr, especially as how the Vypyr is far more versatile.

I'd rather have a couple of really good tones than hundreds of tones and gimmicky effects on a Vypyr that I'm never going to use. But whatever floats peoples boats.

That isn't to say the Vypyr is a bad amp though. It's good for what it is. I'd just rather have an amp that does the job better, even at the cost of several features to get there.
__________________
Whoever reads this in Snape's voice gives 10 points to Slytherin.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 02-17-2014 at 06:21 AM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #39
Axl1399
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I'm investing no more than 100 euros on pups. I'm not going to buy a 6505 until much later because I'm in no position to do this.
I'm asking for pups, not a new amp. So, should I buy a Duncan Distortion or not?
Axl1399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #40
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
 
Blackfire.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Beyond the North Waves
Given the guitar you are going to put them in. You should just go with Irongear or GFS pickups. Maybe Steam Hammers from Irongear, or the Crunchy Rails from GFS.

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_032.htm

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Humbu...ckups_c_26.html
__________________
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Blackfire. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.