I'm doing my dissertation currently. Less than 2 weeks to go #prettystressed

What on? You still a #historyboy?
Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM   #742
robbo546hall
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoooos
What on? You still a #historyboy?

I hate having to explain what my dissertation is on, It's not really easy to explain

It's about ethnic communities and gentrification in Greenwich Village in the 1950's and early 1960's, but I still haven't sorted my title really.

You've graduated right? How did your dissertation go? I'd like to get a 2.1 in this but I haven't done loads of work and not really sure how harsh they are with marking dissertations in comparison to normal essays.

lastfm
robbo546hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM   #743
raoooos
------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo546hall
I hate having to explain what my dissertation is on, It's not really easy to explain

It's about ethnic communities and gentrification in Greenwich Village in the 1950's and early 1960's, but I still haven't sorted my title really.

You've graduated right? How did your dissertation go? I'd like to get a 2.1 in this but I haven't done loads of work and not really sure how harsh they are with marking dissertations in comparison to normal essays.

Haha fair enough. Sounds interesting though.

I am the worst person to ask about dissertations because I did mine idiotically. Met my adviser once in December, then avoided him. Never confirmed my title with him or handed in drafts or anything. Wrote it in 4 or 5 days of non-stop carnage (also had other stuff due), handed it in a day late and ~1000 words short too it got 14/20 and I got my 2:1 but I underachieved tbh. I also sometimes wonder how I got through Uni at all

But yeah it'll come together nicely, everyone finds a way under pressure
Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM   #744
steve_muse
UG Resident

First exam's Monday. meh. I'm in that phase where you're liie 'yass free time'/'suppose I should study'. Doesn't help that the weather's been pretty good lately

Quote:
Originally Posted by 457undead
I hope you guys realize that HTML\jsp can be easily manipulated in your browser, so there is no real way to confirm that this conversation happened.
steve_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM   #745
robbo546hall
UG Fanatic

Quote:

I am the worst person to ask about dissertations because I did mine idiotically. Met my adviser once in December, then avoided him. Never confirmed my title with him or handed in drafts or anything. Wrote it in 4 or 5 days of non-stop carnage (also had other stuff due), handed it in a day late and ~1000 words short too it got 14/20 and I got my 2:1 but I underachieved tbh. I also sometimes wonder how I got through Uni at all

You sound exactly like me to be honest I set myself 4 weeks for this dissertation which is reasonably fair (although most usually do a few months I think) But every essay I've done at uni has been an all nighter the night before. I have only seen my supervisor once and it was a mandatory meeting. I'm underachieving and it's only really 50/50 or maybe 60/40 that I get a 2.1 (a lot depends on the mark for this) so that's why I set myself a bit longer than I usually would. The week before Easter this term I had 4 essays in for the last day, and did 5 all nighters in a row #bantz

I've been to literally 6 lectures/seminars in the past year and a half as well. Nearly at the promised land now though, just need to keep grinding.

lastfm
robbo546hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM   #746
steve_muse
UG Resident

Yea any decent sense of time management I had throughout the 4 years went to shit when I did my dissertation this semester.

Quote:
I hope you guys realize that HTML\jsp can be easily manipulated in your browser, so there is no real way to confirm that this conversation happened.
Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM   #747
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_muse
Yea any decent sense of time management I had throughout the 4 years went to shit when I did my dissertation this semester.

This. Every dissertation I have done completely screwed up my Schedule and was mainly done in the day just before i had a meeting with my supervisors.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM   #748
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

Quote:

Here if you hand in work after the deadline you're capped to 40% marks so if that was the same for you, you must have done really well elsewhere to get a 2:1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #749
raoooos
------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Galon
Here if you hand in work after the deadline you're capped to 40% marks so if that was the same for you, you must have done really well elsewhere to get a 2:1.

Nah doesn't work like that at Aberdeen. I assume it was docked 1 point for being late and 1 point for being under the word count, so it was a 16/20 piece of work which is alright (yeah everything's out of 20). If the 40% thing was in effect I would definitely have got it in on time.

My degree was decided based on all my marks in 3rd and 4th year. So I ended up in a situation where, in 4th year, I needed one pass of 15/20 or more and the rest only minimal passes (9/20), from 8 courses. And without any real possibility of upgrading to a First. So basically my motivation went goodbye because I'd stopped enjoying Uni by that point.
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM   #750
steve_muse
UG Resident

plus all your bonus points for number of sheep shagged

I think I may have went over my word count but I genuinely don't know cos I lost count when doing all the in-text references lmao

Quote:
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM   #751
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

I just need to finish 1 course and my thesis and I'm getting my degree wohooo!
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM   #752
CrossBack7
Swag Bot

i have a grant due monday at noon for the last real class I'll ever take in my life, thank ****. Cannot wait to just get into the normal research grind once classes and journal clubs and shit don't eat up a few hours of time every day.

Rate This Thread: