User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #21
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
So they can't sell the Roadworn there? I live in the UK.

No, they can, but they can't manufacture nitrocellulose guitars there.

Quote:
Line up 100 "road worn" strats, and you will notice they have the same wear marks in the same exact spots. IMHO it makes more sense to get just a basic strat and beat the hell out of it yourself, instead of paying a machine to "relic" your strat.

the marks YOU put on it are exclusive to you and hold a story behind each dink and dent. Ie: see that scratch dude? That was the whiskey talkin'

First of all; they'll all have wear marks in roughly the same spots, but they won't be exactly the same. You cannot use a machine to relic a guitar without damaging it. If they had the ability to do that, then they'd be able to manufacture guitars much, much cheaper. Guitars still have to be made by hand (with power tools, of course), even the lowliest Squier is somewhat a precision instrument. They might have finishes like cars, but they cannot be constructed like them.

Secondly; your guitar ages slower than you will. To get a finish on a guitar to be like a Road Worn series instrument takes decades of rough and constant playing. It's not something that can be accomplished naturally without that time and usage commitment. There are still barely-played 1956 Strats that don't have finish wear like that. Guitar buyers want that guitars with that wear pattern; something that only happens from seriously worn nitro-finished instruments, which cost in the tens of thousands of dollars range.

Thirdly; just because your guitar is "Road Worn" when you buy it doesn't mean you won't be putting your own marks into the thing. Also using that logic, does that mean you shouldn't buy used gear because you aren't putting your own dents into it? Plus, does every mark actually have a story? I have plenty of dents and dings in my guitars that I couldn't tell you where I got them.

Guitar

Whenever I hear someone say that they play exclusively a single genre, I always assume that they're just a terrible guitarist.
kangaxxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #22
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
So they can't sell the Roadworn there? I live in the UK.

What about nitro in aerosols? It's all quite stable now though ain't it.

I remember watching a clip online, they would send the bodies out to a different state to get them finished.

No issue with selling, it was purely for environmental reasons.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #23
Maximus_2005

Quote:
You should reread this.

The finish, the hardware, build quality and electronics are enough of an upgrade for lots of people to spend money on a Deluxe Strat when they have a MIA so upgrading from a MiM to the Roadworn makes perfect sense to me, although I don't think the worn is enough and I think you should do it yourself, but whatever, an upgrade is an upgrade . I would advise saving up for a MIA but if you really can't I definitely wouldn't deter someone from buying one, especially if you're selling a lesser model to get it.

A delux and a standard mia strat is quite a bit different then a roadworn and standard mim. Theresalot more upgradedmparts on a deluxe.

Ill just leave it at that.

Quote:
"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Maximus_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #24
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_2005
A delux and a standard mia strat is quite a bit different then a roadworn and standard mim. Theresalot more upgradedmparts on a deluxe.

Ill just leave it at that.

Seems to me that the Roadworn is a MiM Deluxe.

The Roadworn has Tex Mex Pickups, Nitro finish, American Hardware, superior build quality.

The deluxe has a unique finish, improved floating bridge, gold hardware, noiseless pickups, improved build, S1 switching and coil tapping.

It's got a couple more upgrades, it's got some cosmetic upgrades but in relative terms, for the price, the upgrades seem to make sense.

The RW seems to be an improvement on the MiM, the Deluxe seems to be an improvement on the MIA. And for a couple hundred more you get a better guitar, on both models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-11-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #25
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

^ I believe you're confusing the MIM Deluxe and the MIA Deluxe, at least in tetms of what people see as an upgrade. You're also overestimating the Road Worn's construction.

I mean, if we're going to start picking apart and comparing every model of Fender Strat on every level they can be compared, we will be here for months. So, just as a little example, the 'Texas Special' pickups that are in the MIM Lone Star Stratocaster are not the same 'Texas Special' pickups that are in the MIA and CS guitars (most notably the SRV and Sambora models). The 'nitro' finish that is on the Road Worn (and previously, the Highway One) guitars is not the same as the nitro finishes you get on a few of the more special MIA models, Custom Shop models, Gibsons, etc.

It's just like with woods on Squiers and Epiphones. Yes, the spec sheets says 'mahogany', but you know that what you're really getting is some random local firewood glued together and covered with a veneer. The 'alder' that is in Squiers is not the same as the alder that is used in a £4,000 FCS Closet Classic.

The Road Worns can be marketed any which way, and yes, they can be good guitars (as any MIM can be), but they are, at their core, still rolling off the same production line. Fender doesn't have a 'Road Worn Factory', with tighter QC, better materials and more experienced builders lovingly hand-crafting each guitar. They're churned out in their thousands alongside every other MIM model. Standard, Classic, Classic Player, Deluxe, Road Worn; they're all the same. The only difference is that when Rodrigo comes to screw a bridge on it, on the Standards he picks up a bridge from the drawer marked 'Stratocaster Bridges - A' and when when he's putting one on a Deluxe he opens 'Stratocaster Bidges - B' instead. And once he's screwed it down, he hits the conveyor belt and that body moves on to the next guy.

Againóbecause people seem to choose to ignore this partóI am not saying they are bad guitars. They can be good guitars. Great guitars, even. But to pretend that there is some sort of additional magic put into one mass-produced guitar that isn't put into other mass-produced guitars is absolute nonsense. They're mass-produced. It's all the same. Take the pickups from a Road Worn guitar and shove them in a Standard and you've got the same guitar, albeit a different-looking one. Hell, buy a Standard and order some fancy boutique pickups made to your specifications and fit those yourself, the total will be less than a Road Worn or Deluxe and you'll get something more appropriate for your needs. Ultimately, the things the ''better'' MIMs offer are all things which can be easily bolted on by factory workers, hundreds a day, which you could add to a regular guitar yourself for less money (or buy really fancy stuff and end up with a better guitar for the same money).
Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #26
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

In my eyes, if a guitar has better parts then it's an upgrade to the lesser model.

You are completely right about the construction. It's a myth to a certain degree.
But the Roadworn has better parts than the MiM Standard and while I meant the 'deluxe MiM' term loosely, it does seem like the more desirable of the two guitars because of the upgrades, easily done or not. Some people just won't want to do any DIY on their guitars.

The parts are better so objectively it's a better guitar, surely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #27
Controlpanel
qɐuuǝp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBUltimateGuitar
As I said in my original post, I'm thinking of keeping one of them. Although I'm leaning towards MiA Tele for some reason...

I just got one...
It's phenomenal.
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Controlpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #28
Roc8995

Flibble, you're forgetting the actual wearing process. The extra time they spend on the body and neck results in a difference in comfort and playability.

There's no magic, but the roadworns do get a little extra attention because they're distressed by hand. The frets still suck and the wood is the same, but to me the necks are a lot better and the body feels a lot better than the cheap, thick poly that goes on a standard MIM. On a mid-level guitar like a MIM, a little extra attention goes a long way. Add that to the upgraded hardware and electronics, and you've covered all the really important stuff for a guitar in that price range.

Rate This Thread: