Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
aceofspades\m/

les paul case question

so i bought an epiphone les paul today at guitar center and i bought a hardshell case for it to. now the sales lady recommended two cases; one actually designed for the les paul and one just a flat universal rectangular shape. i bought the rectangular one because it was cheaper and now i regret it because on the way out when the guy checks your purchases, he made a comment about how since a les paul is somewhat arched that my case isn't the ideal one since it puts stress on the headstock and that i should put a cloth under the guitar to relive some stress. what do you think? should i exchange my case or just use the cloth or what?
aceofspades\m/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
paruwi
€pi Wiki Team

Get the correct case - no clothes needed
paruwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

Yeah get an LP case.
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
jacobtheimpaler

LP Case man. I have my Epi in one, you won't regret it.
jacobtheimpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

the epi lp case is $89. it's worth it.

gator makes a brown one with the pink liner for $99. it looks like the vintage ones so it has instant mojo.

LP cases are made for the neck/body angle of a LP and fit the headstock properly. plenty of companies make good LP cases.

the thing is you want the neck and body to be supported equally so there isn't extra pressure on the neck or headstock.

get the proper case so your guitar is safe, that's the point of a case.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #6
jacobtheimpaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
the epi lp case is $89. it's worth it.

gator makes a brown one with the pink liner for $99. it looks like the vintage ones so it has instant mojo.

LP cases are made for the neck/body angle of a LP and fit the headstock properly. plenty of companies make good LP cases.

the thing is you want the neck and body to be supported equally so there isn't extra pressure on the neck or headstock.

get the proper case so your guitar is safe, that's the point of a case.

This. Never skimp on the protection of your instrument, you'll only hate yourself for it if something bad happens to it in the future.
jacobtheimpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #7
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Take it back to the store - if the sales assistant gave you bad advice, you're within your rights to get them to provide an exchange or refund. They sold you the wrong case, plain & simple. LPs are not flat, therefore you don't want a flat case.
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
dngrsdave

Right now Best Buy has a Gator Les Paul hard case for $39.00 free shipping but you have to order it on-line.

I just went through the same thing you did. I bought a Epi Les Paul and needed a case. I started looking at "Universal Cases" just like the one you bought. I was told on another Forum that specilaizes in L.P's the same thing.

Because of the angle of the headstock, you need to get a L.P. specific case to insure maximum safety and protection. I bought the SKB TSA-56 molded case and could'nt be happier.

If you have other guitars your new case will fit,keep it and get a new one for the L.P. Otherwise bring it back & exchange it for what you want.

Heavy Metal Thunder
dngrsdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: