Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
AWACS
Lord Steward

Fretboard cleaning Q

I'm going to be changing my strings on both my MiM Tele, and PRS SE Cu24. I'm unsure about which cleaning products to use for the fretboards of each; I know you're supposed to use different products. The Tele has a maple fretboard while the PRS has a rosewood one.

I have 3 choices. Dunlop Formula no. 65, (Planet Waves) Lemon Oil, and (S.I.T) Orange oil. I know you can't use one kind on maple. I think it's Lemon...

(I never change my strings that often, though I know I should, but I feel like I don't play that often to warrant a changing. /bad excuse)

I would appreciate if you guys could help me out. Thanks.

Mesa Boogie Mark V '12 PRS SE CU24Blackstar HTV-212
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle Digitech Bad Monkey TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic TCE Ditto
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACS
I'm going to be changing my strings on both my MiM Tele, and PRS SE Cu24. I'm unsure about which cleaning products to use for the fretboards of each; I know you're supposed to use different products. The Tele has a maple fretboard while the PRS has a rosewood one.

I have 3 choices. Dunlop Formula no. 65, (Planet Waves) Lemon Oil, and (S.I.T) Orange oil. I know you can't use one kind on maple. I think it's Lemon...

(I never change my strings that often, though I know I should, but I feel like I don't play that often to warrant a changing. /bad excuse)

I would appreciate if you guys could help me out. Thanks.

NO LEMON ON MAPLE!

LEMON FOR ROSEWOOD. (sorry for the harsh letters ) Use every other time you restring or if the wood looks really dried out.

I just use regular guitar polish on my maple necks. But dont do it all the time just everyother time you restring. Never used Orange for anything ever.
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Use nothing on the maple, and I do mean inothing. Use a dry microfibre cloth and just lightly rub away. Do not scrub at anything; if something doesn't come off easily, try using a little drop (again, I do mean just a drop) of poly finish cleaner on the cloth, then rub over. Do not put any chemicals directly on the fretboard itself.

For rosewood, use Dunlop's products sine one bottle will last years and they come with their own applicators and easy-to-follow instructions.

Lemon oil (or other similar products) are not for cleaning rosewood or ebony; they are a type of conditioner for it, used after they have been cleaned or if they have not been played in a while or store properly, to stop the wood drying out. Good quality rosewood needs a small application once every 12-18 months, while good ebony shouldn't need it more than once every 18-24 months.
Additionaly, Dunlop do a specific raw wood deep clean and deep conditioner set of products, and these do a better, longer-lasting job than standard cleaners & lemon oil will.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Battery Chicken
Viva la Revolucion!

The fender custom shop just released a bunch of cleaning products that are master builder approved. If John Cruz approves, I approve.

Link

Last edited by Battery Chicken : 02-27-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Battery Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery Chicken
The fender custom shop just released a bunch of cleaning products that are master builder approved. If John Cruz approves, I approve.

Link

John Cruz is the coolest dude ive ever met. I met him in 2004 at Crossroads and we just chatted 20 min's about SRV's #1 and and the 24kt gold Strat. Really cool and easy to talk to.
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
ne14t

NAPTHA aka White Gas only thing I use to clean my guitar, and generally is what most vintage or master cleaning kits will come with, as it does a great job of cleaning, isn't harsh, evaporates fast and has no residues. Most of the time if I keep on it I can use a microfiber cloth to clean off my frets when I do a string change and it wont need any cleaners just elbow grease. And then as mentioned I only hit the fretboard with Dunlop 65 once a year, simply because you don't want to saturate the fretboard with lemon oil.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Next: Fender Surf Green Stratocaster
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #7
AWACS
Lord Steward

So yes for Dunlop 65 on rosewood?

I also have another question: After just restringing my Tele, leaving it for about a day and a half, and tuning it up to pitch, I have a weird fret buzz problem. When downpicking, it makes a very weird buzzing sound, however, when I use up-pick (upstroke?) there is no buzzing.
The string is not hitting the frets, and it only occurs on the low E.

Any ideas why this might have happened? I might end up just restringing it.

Mesa Boogie Mark V '12 PRS SE CU24Blackstar HTV-212
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle Digitech Bad Monkey TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic TCE Ditto
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

this is just like the 'what strings' threads. everybody has opinion, everybody gets bitchy and it gets closed.

on topic,

it doesn't need to be done often. i use lemon oil on the board. people say whatever they do. there are quite a few things that would be fine i do what i do because that is what i have done. i have NEVER had a problem with any of my fretboards.

the most important with lemon oil is DO NOT soak the fret board with oil, use a little bit. no more than you need

soaking a lot over time WILL damage your fretboard, (very excess and excessively frequently) done excessively for many years.

and +1 to nothing on maple.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: