Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
HeretiK538
Petrol

Improving my singing voice

Hey,
I've been trying to improve my voice. I can't afford singing lessons, so really the best I've been doing is lurking on this forum and trying to pick up all the advice I can, whilst singing and playing guitar. I've definitely made progress since I started, but I still think I could get further, even without lessons. I'd love to have them at some point, but at the minute they're out of the question

I don't really feel like I'm straining my voice at all - it all feels fairly comfortable, and I've been sipping water whenever I'm singing, which probably helps. I'm aware I hit a lot of off-notes; is there anything specific I should be doing to improve my accuracy? All I really do is sing through scales on my guitar when I'm warming up, though I admit, I don't do that as often as I should.

Confidence gets mentioned a fair amount, but I don't really feel that's a major issue, as much as my technique.

Have you any advice for me, singing forum?

Video included for reference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eecs...eature=youtu.be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.

Last edited by HeretiK538 : 03-15-2013 at 04:18 PM.
HeretiK538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Duce180

If lessons are not an option you should get a singing program. There's quite a few out there. If money is tight you could go with Ken Tamplin's Stage 1 program, its about 90$. You'll learn all the basics like how to breathe, keep an open throat etc.. the very important parts of singing. Thats about the cheapest option, his whole program is about 300$.. but that stage 1 will give you good results and keep you busy for a while.

In the meantime, you could learn how to effectively breath with your diaphragm with this video series

If you take singing seriously and want to sing well, your eventually going to have to shell out some cash, learning to sing is ALOT different from learning guitar, you cant teach yourself to sing. You can learn some basics on your own (like diaphragm breathing) but if you want some good results it will be tough. A vocal coach is the best way to go, just a couple lessons would do you alot of good, you dont need to see some guy that is charging 200$/hr. There are plenty of teachers that charge below 50$, I know a couple teachers that charge 25$/30 minutes. You dont need to see some expert guru vocal coach that charges a ton, that would be a waste of money as a beginner, most vocal coaches will be able to get a beginner on their feet relatively easily.

You should always warm up your voice, not only will you sound better but you'll also keep your voice healthy, a warm down is good too if you are doing tough vocals like rock singing. A simple warm up is humming, lip rolls, an "NG" exercise, and maybe some open vowel exercises like an "ah" or "buh etc.. theres alot of good information on warm ups on youtube.
Duce180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
sykryk
Deceive

- Learn controlled breathing
- WARM YOUR VOICE UP
- sing over "backing tracks" - don't sing over songs with vocals, as you'll unwittingly try to emulate their voice.

And one of the biggest things - don't be afraid to sing loud. You can't generally tell when you listen to a recording, but singers generally sing VERY loudly.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
Doveri

It's a very complex thing, but I'll write some tips.

1. Be able to breath fully from your upper abs/ diaphragm area

2. be able to sing a comfortable scale of notes while keeping your mouth still between each note. (if you're having accuracy trouble, this will probably help a lot).

3. be able to direct your breath/singing into your nose, and always comfortably sing with your nose.

4. Continually thin your voice out and sing in smaller and smaller voices, as you progress.

5. Focus on your upper mandibles while singing to blend both nose and throat sounds.

Last edited by Doveri : 03-15-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Doveri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
HeretiK538
Petrol

Thanks for the advice! Doveri, what exactly do you mean by upper mandibles, and nose and throat sounds? I think I've been using my throat for the most part, but I'm not sure I've come across (or at least, knowingly) nose sounds

Sykryk, I'll definitely try and warm up more often. I hadn't thought of the backing tracks thing, but typically, I just sing along to chords on guitar, so I presume that works too. I'm singing what I'd call fairly loudly - I feel like if I went much louder, I'd be forcing it, but then again, that's probably what you're suggesting; putting more power behind it. I'm not perfect at it, but I've been trying to focus on breathing from my diaphragm as much as possible.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.

Last edited by HeretiK538 : 03-16-2013 at 07:39 AM.
HeretiK538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Doveri

nose and throat sounds, as in, mixing both head register and chest register. One can sing purely in head/falsetto, they can sing in a chestier phonation, or one can blend both which is the preferred method. Blending them both is easier when you focus on singing with your 'jaw'.

Nasal resonance is important for cord closure. No nasal resonance = little to no cord closure.

Last edited by Doveri : 03-16-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Doveri is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: