Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
ccannon1
Band Geek

Suggestion for OM?

So I'm looking at upgrading from my Epiphone AJ100CE to something with solid tonewoods and something more suitable for someone who's looking to record and perform.

I went to a local music store and played a Larrivée OM-03 and also some Guild OM model and found that I really prefer the sound and feel of the smaller body.

I play a variety of music but mainly stay in the sonic territory of say, Death Cab For Cutie/Benjamin Gibbard, Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel and Ed Sheeran. So I want to be able to play both with a pick and fingers.

My price range is around $500-$1200. And as much as I love the Larrivée, I'd like to know what else is around.
ccannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
stepchildusmc

i have a right shoulder injury that prevents me from playing larger dreads and jumbos for any length of time( shaving accident..i really should read the package better). i love the smaller bodies because i can sit with them for hours without much discomfort. i lean toward taylors because i love the Grand Auditorium size. probably a bit out of your budget unless you go used.
Patticake is the resident guru when it comes to smaller sized guitars and she can give you non-biased opinions on probably all of the ones available as she's probably tried them all in the last 3 days or so( curse you and your 30 music shops on a postage stamp Patti!!!)
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
ccannon1
Band Geek

No one has any suggestions for me? :c
Old 05-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

have you tried the recording king 000 models? to my ear, the 000's are where recording king shines. my husband's ROS-626 sounds great, and is imo a very good value, too. it's all solid, 12 frets to the body, but they also make 14 fretters.

i like the guild OMs a lot. my husband preferred the GAD F130 (mahogany b&s, clean tone, strong fundamental) where i preferred the GAD F130R (rosewood b&s, darker tone, some overtones). probably the best build quality in their price range.

have you tried eastman guitars? beautifully hand-crafted, very nice finish. all solid, and i couldn't believe they didn't cost more when i tried a bunch in person. the 100 and 200 eastmans don't count (they're not made in the eastman factory nor are they all solid) but guitars like this one
http://massstreetmusic.com/store/sh...9-Eastman-E6-OM
or ths one
http://massstreetmusic.com/store/sh...OM#.UZ1ZD_LkrTQ
are real standouts in their price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
Patticake is the resident guru when it comes to smaller sized guitars and she can give you non-biased opinions on probably all of the ones available as she's probably tried them all in the last 3 days or so( curse you and your 30 music shops on a postage stamp Patti!!!)

*LOLOL*

actually i played the richest, deepest, clearest sounding OM i've ever laid fingers on on sunday at hwd GC. it's a carmel guitar co OM with italian spruce top (i looove the sound of italian spruce) and claro walnut b&s (to my surprise, as i don't always care for claro). and the tone just blew me away. since i, too, have shoulder damage, it's very rare that i can play something with that much bass for more than a few minutes - 'cause they're usually dreads. i had a wonderful time playing it. i think it's $2800 used.

Last edited by patticake : 05-22-2013 at 07:55 PM.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
ccannon1
Band Geek

Wow, thanks so much patticake! The Guild F-130 is the one I believe I played in store. Unfortunately the other brands you suggested don't appear to be available in Winnipeg. I think I might be getting the Guild F-130, as it's much easier on a student's wallet than a larrivee.

EDIT: What do you think of the Martin LX1e? Cheaper, small bodied acoustic and from what I've heard online and through Ed Sheeran's work they're fine guitars especially for the price albeit only solid topped.

Last edited by ccannon1 : 05-22-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

the little martin has a 1 11/16" nut, which isn't great for fingerpicking, and the shorter scale means the higher frets don't have the space to lengthen out like a longer scale neck. although i do feel they're better than most of the competition for that smaller size, they're not particularly resonant. btw, i didn't actually find the solid top models to sound better than the all lam models, btw. if you're asking about an OM, i suspect the little martin may be smaller than you're expecting.

if you're considering a guitar that small, i'd suggest you try the blueridge BR-341. i own one that i cherry picked over a period of time (blueridge doesn't have the ultimate in consistency), and it's got more bass. clarity and resonance than a lot of other guitars in its size (about a martin 0 size) and price range.

the guild sounds better to me than the larrivee, but that's just personal preference. i loved my guild when i had it, and i've liked every one i've played.

if you're in canada, have you tried seagull guitars? i'm not as happy with their folks sized guitars as their dreads, but you might find something you like. they're well made in canada
http://www.seagullguitars.com/guitars.html
Old 05-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
ccannon1
Band Geek

I havn't gotten a chance to try a seagull guitar due to competitive/political reasons in my area. The big chain store Long-Mcquade doesn't stock them and they're the distributor of them, so no other shops buy them from them.

What's the consensus on Yamaha Folk sized acoustics? I've seen a lot of them popping up on kijiji for fair prices with solid wood and many are vintage (80s-70s)
Old 05-28-2013, 03:08 AM   #8
Disco monkey

IMO the guild GAD series has some of the best bang for your buck. I have the guild d-150 and although it's not boldly stated, the top is Sitka spruce w/ Indian rosewood back/sides, so the f-130 is the same tone woods except mahogany back/sides. F-130R has rosewood which may be more versatile between pick/fingers.

YMMV, but I don't believe there is a $2000 difference in tone between my martin d-28 and my guild d-150. Also, try finding a thread with someone hating on guild; my point is, you won't.
Disco monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
ghobby

I've got a Yamaha ls16 (that's right in the middle of your price range), its their grand auditorium. Engelmann spruce top and solid rosewood back and sides. Very comfortable to play, good for fingerpicking with a 1 3/4" nut. Definitely competes with the Larrivee in terms of sound.

Have fun looking.
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i'm not crazy about the old yamahas. i see 'em around, and imo - but not everyone's - they don't stand up to some modern guitars like the guild. maybe you can try one in person and see what you think.

Rate This Thread: