User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #141
DomPy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Brick
Oh yeah, I know someone who has a $25,000 sax.

absolute rip off.

sax is my main instrument, the most desirable being the selmer mark VI. I'm assuming this is what your friend has.. I own one and got it for $4,500, and subsequently found out that most people 'in the know' would not pay that much for it. It is undoubtedly the best sax I have played so definitely worth it, but there is definitely an element of being blinded by the name and reputation.

www.myspace.com/kmb - ska band

YEAH!
DomPy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #142
Blompcube
Registered User Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by gisobon
a gibson ****ing cost 7000 bucks. and compared to an epiphone,i don't find any difference in tone.maybe just the look?

...what? The looks of a gibson compared to an epiphone knockoff are the biggest similarity between them. (i say knockoff because epiphone also have some epi-exclusive models that gibson don't make)

It's not just about tone, you know, and if you couldn't find a difference in the tone between 2 seemingly identical guitars, one a gibson, the other an epiphone, you either:

a) need to get your ears checked
b) aren't very good at guitar so everything you touch sounds crap anyway
c) tried them through an amp which doesn't bring out the natural tone of the instrument very well such as a budget modeller, or..
d) all of the above.

I'm probably going to assume the answer is C in most cases - guitar shops have a terrible habit of plugging you into a shitty amp, hence until you buy an expensive guitar and play it through your own amp (provided it's a decent one) you can never really be sure if it was worth it compared to a cheaper alternative, unless you politely ask to play through a better amp in the shop, which not many people do because they think it seems rude, but it's really not, since they just want to take your money, and if they are more likely to take your money if they let you use a better amp, they'll gladly let you use a better amp!

But as well as tone theres quality, durability, playability etc to take on board. When i was a noob, because i would gravitate towards the cheaper guitars they were what i was used to, so i thought that expensive guitars like gibson les pauls were overpriced pieces of crap simply because i just wasn't used to the sturdy feel. But now that i've got more used to higher end stuff i can feel the difference in quality which is somewhat greater than the difference in tone in many cases. As for playability, they may not be any better than something cheap after a good setup, but the quality sure does make a difference to the overall feel of the guitar - my gibson les paul for example, just feels more playable even though really it may be no more playable than a well set up epiphone.

I know i mostly used the comparison between gibson and epiphone there but i'm actually generally comparing cheap guitars against expensive guitars.
Musicman HD75
Road Kill Cabs "Stag" 2x12 with Eminence screamin eagles.
Blompcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #143
zappmi35

guitars are not expensive. wth are you guys on. take instruments like the flute, a little tiny instrument but they can go up to around 10000 and decent flutes start at around 1000
zappmi35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:43 AM   #144
BlockFour

^ I've been thinking that too. Guitars aren't expensive at all. For a couple grand you can get a really nice guitar. That'll get you a lower midrange violin. Hell, my violin cost 5k and it's an "advanced student" model.
BlockFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:56 AM   #145
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

There is a hell of a lot more involved when making a violin than making a solid body guitar. There is a real black art to shaping the soundboard, same deal with arch top mandolins.
My Gilchrist was made by one of the best mandolin builders in the world and he commented on how much easier it is to make an electric guitar and the one he made for me is about as high quality as you can get. (click on it in my sig)
Having said that, when I had it made about 20 years ago a bog standard strat cost almost twice as much as my Gilchrist and it really is like comparing a Ferrari to a Mini. That Fender logo is pretty damn expensive. lol
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:14 AM   #146
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

heck not a lot of instruments are nearly as cheap as a guitar. Pretty much 600-800 bucks can get you a real quality instrument that's stage worthy. I gotta say it's more like comparing a Ferrari 360 to a Subera Imprezza Wrx, Cathbard. Almost the same 0-60 and car ability, one costs a lot more and has a lot more shinies, takes corners better at 180mph...maybe.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #147
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
I gotta say it's more like comparing a Ferrari 360 to a Subera Imprezza Wrx, Cathbard. Almost the same 0-60 and car ability, one costs a lot more and has a lot more shinies, takes corners better at 180mph...maybe.

Except in this case the one with more shinies is the one that costs a lot less. That 12th fret inlay has about 25 separate pieces of shell making up all the different parts of the fish and each bubble used for the dots is a ring of shell. It makes a strat look like a blank piece of undressed wood.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 01-28-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #148
LPstudioWRz28

to some people $2000 isnt expensive...... im definitely not one of those people.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #149
emolizzy191

Bla-bla-bla

thank you
emolizzy191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #150
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

It's people that make them expensive. At the end of the day, it's a god damn piece of wood

Also, fancier appointments like binding and nice finishes.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #151
dspellman

Zombie Thread!!!!

Last edited by dspellman : 09-13-2013 at 03:32 PM.
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #152
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^

Also I reported the necrobump... normally I don't care too much about them if it's a genuine mistake, but that was a blatant, pointless one which makes me wonder if it's a spambot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: