Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Burrito5911

How important is learning full solos to improv?

So I am probably an intermediate guitarist who is interested in rock blues country and metal. I only know two full solos mark knoflers first solo on sultans of swing and the solo on yellow Ledbetter by pearl jam. (also know half of claptons 24 nights solo on white room) I was wondering how much will learning to play other peoples solos help with my own improvisation?
Old 08-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Facecut
Vorsitzender

It obviously depends on your personality but generally a lot.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Very. Learning solos gives you experience of other people's music, people who are far more experienced and knowledgeable than you are. It let's you how other people use different musical ideas in different contexts and gives you an insight into some of the thinking behind those little moments of inspiration that good players always come up with, a twist on a familiar phrase, an unexpected note or chord, or a simple melody used at exactly the right time.

Improvising is creating music spontaneously, it's not moving your fingers round and hoping for the best. Good improvisers are acutely aware of their musical surroundings, always listening to their backing and usually thinking ahead if it's a piece they know as opposed to a complete free-form situation. They choose what to play based on how it will work with their backing, they know when to put themselves forward but crucially when to ease off a bit.

Good improvisation comes with technical ability, musical understanding but most crucially musical experience, and the best way to develop that is to spend some time following in the footsteps of those greater than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
dazzzer30

I take time out to improvise solo over made up chords normally just 3or 4 chords on my loop pedal , I always start out feeling lost but start by using the scale. when I go off track which is try to forget about the scale and to start playing notes that I imagine might sound good and how I want it is quite hard , sometimes it doesn’t sound good but because I play mostly rock I guess the pentatonic scale covers a lot .
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
raredesign

One thing that will help, is to sing the notes while you play them. Obviously start slow, but with practice, your fingers will land on what you hear in your head. Set the guitar down for a second, and whistle or scat to a backing track. If you have the imagination and ear for it, now it is a matter of connecting the guitar to your voice.
raredesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
wyldelife

I ****in' love mr. seagull! What he said!!

Marshall MG 250DFX
Line 6 HD500
wyldelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Dreamdancer11

“The only way you can get good, unless you're a genius, is to copy. That's the best thing. Just steal.” - Ritchie Blackmore
Old 08-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
dazzzer30

I am not an expert on this but maybe if you want to improve on your improvising why not learn licks . Just an idea but I have been trying to find some easy licks and just improvise with the lick .
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
raredesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamdancer11
“The only way you can get good, unless you're a genius, is to copy. That's the best thing. Just steal.” - Ritchie Blackmore

Wow, I don't think I have heard a quote I disagree with more. Unless...hmm, maybe I am a genius. Alright, carry on. :-)
raredesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:00 AM   #10
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Quote:

Yeah man!

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:

LOL agreed.

I've heard the more general (non-attributed) version, which is possibly even more cynical:

"talent borrows, genius steals"

the other thing is, you don't even have to feel guilty- those kickass players you're copying weren't playing 100% original stuff either, even they were building on what came before (most of the time, anyway).

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
LOL agreed.

I've heard the more general (non-attributed) version, which is possibly even more cynical:

"talent borrows, genius steals"

the other thing is, you don't even have to feel guilty- those kickass players you're copying weren't playing 100% original stuff either, even they were building on what came before (most of the time, anyway).

I agree and lets not forget one more thing....if Richie Blackmore one of the most influencial people in rock and metal said that then who is this elusive freaking genius? i guess he hides really well .
Old 08-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

nigel tufnel

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: