Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
ragingben
0xd FX pedal builder

My latest build, the Scallywag clean boost

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my newest build.

It's a clean boost, based on a NE5532 opamp rather than a mosfet as a lot of the boosters available tend to use. In this way it is more like a Way Huge Angry Troll than anything else. It uses a charge pump to boost the 9v input to around 17v so there is a decent amount of headroom to boost the level without clipping. There's a trimmer on the inside so that you can set the gain between around +9dB to +35dB to suit your tastes and the pickups your using, and then the 'booster' control adjusts the output level.

It sounds great with the boost set at around 2 o'clock into a clean amp (unity is around 10 with the trimmer set up as it is in my one), and makes a great boost for fattening up my lead sound at any point from 2 onwards, taking the Bad Monkey off the board that I was using for this purpose. As I like using it for both of these things I really need a second level control and footswitch to change between clean and dirty levels. It defiently has a different vibe to the mosfet boosters (one complaint with opamps as boosters is they can sound sterile and cold), but to me it sounds pretty warm and has a lot of clarity. I'll try and get as sound clip up at some point.

Thanks for looking! Schematics and vero etc can be found here.
ragingben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
whoomit

It's a pretty little thing that.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
ragingben
0xd FX pedal builder

Thanks
Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Lovin' the design

Last edited by Telecaster7 : 01-21-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
ragingben
0xd FX pedal builder

Thanks, I'm getting clear vinyl stickers these days and sticking them on to powder coated enclosures, it keeps the price down for the ones I build to sell, and cuts out the evenings of spraying that drive my girlfriend crazy!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Oh man the spraying. I've been spraying a batch today and yesterday. It's hell.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
ragingben
0xd FX pedal builder

Haha yeah it can be can't it! I do enjoy spraying, but I hate it when you mess one up and have to sand it back down and start again. When I added up the cost of the primer, laquer, base colour, gradient colour and waterslip paper I was using on my previous designs it just became obvious I couldn't justify it, although they did look prettier. The problem I have with spraying my own is that ultimately I found it really hard to get a finish hard enough that it doesn't chip.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Yeah I've had to do a few sand backs, that hurts. So far mine seem fairly hard, but I haven't field tested any properly yet. I dread the day I do... But I guess then I get to figure out a new way of doing things, which is half the fun.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
ragingben
0xd FX pedal builder

Yeah, I think by spraying you can get them hard enough, but not indestructible.

The worst spraying experience I have had is I was building a batch of 5 pedals and was spraying them late at night after the girlfriend was in bed. Got back from the pub after having a few beers on a saturday night and decided to laquer the lot of them at 1 in the morning. I somehow managed to melt the paint off with the laquer (holding the can too close for too long I expect!) and had to sand the lot down and start again the next morning with a hang over!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Oh man that would suck! This batch has been pretty easy so far, but it's 9 pedals so it's a lot of spraying, and a lot of checking. It's too easy to become complacent when you have so many to examine.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
ragingben
0xd FX pedal builder

That is a fair sized batch, you must be going through a ton of paints! What are you building?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

A mate and I are doing a batch of Maestro fuzz clones, mostly as a starter project. We've made stuff before but never to a selling quality, so we're just trying to do these as well as we can and see where it takes us. Luckily we're just doing a pretty simple one colour design but so far we're down one can with a bit more spraying to go. So far it's all going pretty well though, the circuit sounds phenomenal and the mockup I did earlier looks great so we're nearly there.

Also the reason we're doing 9 is to capitalise on all of our guitarist friends who have bemoaned the fact they don't have a fuzz they like, so we're selling a few to them and hoping to sell a few to non-friends too.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
ragingben
0xd FX pedal builder

Sounds great, good luck with it. Put some photos up when your done
Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Yeah I've been putting very intermittent updates in the GB+C chat thread but I plan to do pics+clips, the whole shebang once they're done.

Rate This Thread: