Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
SickFak

You've got to pimp my Guitar...

Hey folks,

I have an old ESP ltd F-250 (6 years or so old)... That I don't have much use for as I moved onto better Jackson guitars. A while ago just out of curiosity I installed active EMG's (81/85) on it... you know just to try.

The thing is it's pretty much a mess to play compared to my lovely "Jackie". Licenced Floyd is bad, really BAD. Keeping in tune is almost impossible. Frets are a bit worn out. I kinda don't feel right about selling it, especially since installed them EMG's. I was thinking of maybe on the contrary going even deeper instead and installing original floyd and maybe some fancy tuners... Can't decide.

I need opinions from people who know what a guitar is. Do you think it would be worth it? Why? Or why not? I understand that by installing good hardware I won't make up for inferior craftmanship/materials and won't transform it into it's high tier "ESP" product sister, but you know.

So?
SickFak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
gregs1020
Hi mom!

If the frets are worn out...

Block the trem and play slide on it.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
chatterbox272

I say go for it, who knows you might come out loving it. If not, you've learned some good stuff about modifying guitars which could come in handy should you ever need to do some repairs on one of your better ones.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Mr.-Bungle
Mr. Bungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFak
I have an old ESP ltd F-250 (6 years or so old)... That I don't have much use for as I moved onto better Jackson guitars.

Lol.

Last edited by Mr.-Bungle : 12-18-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Mr.-Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Robbgnarly

Take the EMG's out and get rid of it if it has bad fret issues.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
gregs1020
Hi mom!

make it wall art.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
KrymsinViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
make it wall art.

This.

Put it on the wall in your regular practice space to remind you of all the hard work you put in to learn your instrument. Those frets didn't wear themselves out.
KrymsinViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

If the frets are worn out, like the others said, it's not worth it. If you had alread upgraded it to the point of it being a great guitar, then I would sasy just get a re-fret done, but considering it needs new frets AND upgraded, I would say to make it a display piece.

Now, if you DO decide that it's worth a re-fret and upgrades, I can give you an entire list of upgrades that are completely worth it. There are few stock parts left on my Epi Les Paul, and I've put it side-by-side to many a Gibson and it comes out on top hands-down every time.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
cjms1997

If you're willing to spend the money, it would be worth it. If nothing more than sentimental value. Re-fretting it could get pricey though. If you're not willing to spend the money, just make it a wall piece.
cjms1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #10
SickFak

Thanks for the input guys, I'll think about it for a week or two before I do something.

Mr. Bungle obviously I didn't say Jackson is better that ESP... They both make guitars to my liking. But my Jackson soloist is indeed much better than said 6 years old F-250. :P

Blktiger0 that list would be appreciated
SickFak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #11
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
If the frets are worn out, like the others said, it's not worth it. If you had alread upgraded it to the point of it being a great guitar, then I would sasy just get a re-fret done, but considering it needs new frets AND upgraded, I would say to make it a display piece.

+1

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Well, the list of upgrades I recommend is:

New Bridge
Straplocks
Upgraded Tuners, if it doesn't have those
New Pots

Now, obviously since it's got a floyd, the bridge will be the most expensddive and most difficult upgrade. My advice would be to go with an Original Floyd Rose.

For straplocks, there are plenty of ways to go, but I'm a Schaller guy, myself. If you put those on all of your guitars, you'll have plenty of backup straps that will work with each one, plus, they'll work as regular strap buttons, too.

With Tuners, I like Grover. There are other great options like Gotoh, Kluson, etc., but Grovers are my favorite by far. Really, you could probably just pick by what is the cheapest, since you have a locking nut (or should). Getting locking tuners would be complete overkill, but if you want to spend the money, you could.

The new pots are basically for if you didn't replace them when you replaced the pickups with EMG's. I assume that you did, but it was worth mentioning.

If you do all of that, it'll be one hellacious axe. IMO, LTD's cheapers stuff was made for upgrading. I've got an EC200QM, and it's a great guitar in terms of wood, neck, etc., but it needs better pickups, tuners, and a different bridge. Possibly even a new switch and pots/tone caps.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: