Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Modern Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-10-2014, 04:26 AM   #31801
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_muse
There's something really hipster about saying any intro to an album is the best but it is really good tho, throws you off. The only bad song (aside from the collage thing at the end) is probs Tonight I think, only because of that shitty auto tuned hook, otherwise it's easily AOTY for me so far

I meant that the intro to midcity is my favourite from that album. With CLPPNG, the entire album is just really good. I have least favourites (I'm with you on 'Tonight') but I can't choose between most of the tracks. It's my AOTY so far too, though I've only listened to maybe four albums from this year. Oxymoron is number two.

The only other new hip-hop release I've heard this year is the new Ab-Soul (off the top of my head anyway; there may be others I'm forgetting). I like some of Ab-Soul's older work and this album had some good moments, but honestly this album was a 5/10 for me. I didn't like the production to the point that it detracted from everything else- way too many trap influences, and not in a good way.

Last edited by slipknot5678 : 07-10-2014 at 04:29 AM.
slipknot5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #31802
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

so i just tweaked a seriously insane sound out of my mobius that sounds like a laser firing. bells would be proud. and i'm gonna use it in lieu of my fuzz factory, because too much effort to have/use one.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:38 AM   #31803
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

Hey Yianni trying to sell us your gear isn't going to work anymore because UG has moved on to laptops now. I think Bellz should move on to laptops too.

Really though that's pretty cool. I am not familiar with the mobius like I am the fuzz factory (even though I don't own one or any pedals).
Old 07-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #31804
steve_muse
Never had this before

Did you guys see that UG news about Bellamy saying they're going back to 'real instruments' for the next record? lolz still hope it's gd tho
steve_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #31805
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

They've been saying similar stuff for a while. I hope it's good. I remember you once said that this will be Judgement Day for your myoos loyalty. It will be mine as well.

Today this three year old kid I babysit rekt myoos so hard. I had music playing on shuffle, and when 'Undisclosed Desires' came on she said, "What is this song?! Ew". When Queen came on, she told me she doesn't like Queen so I skipped it. 'Guiding Light' was the next song and thirty seconds in she was like "Wait, this is the same song!"

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news..._is_de ad.html

lol @ this. Good riddance rock music, excluding the few left that are still good. Okay not really good riddance but I have not been impressed or interested in new rock music at all this year. The closest thing to a good rock release I've heard this year is the new Kishi Bashi, and that's not even rock (he's just associated with 'indie rock' I guess).

Last edited by slipknot5678 : 07-16-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #31806
jo cro

Muse is amazing
jo cro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #31807
edgeyyz
I take out the trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo cro
Muse is amazing

myoos sukz
Old 07-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #31808
steve_muse
Never had this before

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot5678
They've been saying similar stuff for a while. I hope it's good. I remember you once said that this will be Judgement Day for your myoos loyalty. It will be mine as well.

Today this three year old kid I babysit rekt myoos so hard. I had music playing on shuffle, and when 'Undisclosed Desires' came on she said, "What is this song?! Ew". When Queen came on, she told me she doesn't like Queen so I skipped it. 'Guiding Light' was the next song and thirty seconds in she was like "Wait, this is the same song!"

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news..._is_de ad.html

lol @ this. Good riddance rock music, excluding the few left that are still good. Okay not really good riddance but I have not been impressed or interested in new rock music at all this year. The closest thing to a good rock release I've heard this year is the new Kishi Bashi, and that's not even rock (he's just associated with 'indie rock' I guess).

That's funny. I wouldn't say 'rock is dead' because I don't even know what 'rock' refers to any more. For me 'rock' is this embarrassing term for classic rock or hard rock or whatever, those kind of bands sticking firmly to dull rock tropes. Stuff that uses electric guitars but veers far away from the likes of 'rock' or 'metal' are still good, doing interesting things. I've only recently got into Silver Mount Zion, so there's an example.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #31809
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

To me Queens of the Stone Age and myoos (despite recent weaker albums) are the last two mainstream 'standard rock' bands that are good. There are other alternative rock, post-rock, etc. bands I like too, but even then I haven't heard much that's good this year.

I just remembered that the new Timber Timbre album is good though.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #31810
steve_muse
Never had this before

^i tried to listen to that. I dunno, I liked what it was going for but I couldn't get passed like the first 3 songs
Old 07-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #31811
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

tbh I'm the same way with it. There are I think four songs from it that I listen to instead of the whole album. I just gave it a shoutout because I could at least listen to it and appreciate it. I haven't even listened to it since if came out. When I listened to their old stuff I felt the same way.

Going to check Silver Mount Zion now.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #31812
steve_muse
Never had this before

^check out their latest **** Off Get Free, really raw, triumphant and stuff #punk great instrumentation too
Old 07-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #31813
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

Finished listening.

First song was meh to me, wasn't really feeling it. 'Austerity Blues' was a little better, and in the second half I started to enjoy it more.

Overall pretty good. I like the more minimalist, quiet sections more than the loud parts right now, but I think after a second listen I'll like the whole album more.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #31814
steve_muse
Never had this before

Yeah I didn't think too much of it on my first listen. I really like the heavy parts. A lot of peeps don't dig his voice but I like it, sort of like Win Butler a little. They're the same dudes in Godspeed! who I've not given much a listen, I think I tried once and was bored but I'll see.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #31815
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

His voice is fine. Godspeed! is good, and I have one of their CDs that I sometimes play.
Usually I'd rather listen to something else though.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #31816
steve_muse
Never had this before

What CD is it? I'll check it out. I dunno if it's just me but ever since I've left my muse fanboy ism I've been so much more willing to try out other kinds of stuff. Shitty muse liberated me
Old 07-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #31817
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

It's in a different order from the actual album though.

I have been more open too but that's not because I've been less into Muse. They were my gateway to quality music and expanding my taste so I have to give them credit there.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #31818
steve_muse
Never had this before

Sweet, I'll check it out soon. Yeah no I owe them a lot, they made me pick up a guitar and practice piano so yeah, they'll always be great. I just hope they come back with a bang and not another just bearable album (which the 2nd law sort of is).

You should check out the new Cibo Matto album. It's good quirky pop stuff, great production.
I'm listening to OOIOO's latest record too, challenging stuff but I dig it.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #31819
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

I listened to Cibo Matto when you posted them in the good music thread. It's really good.

I'll give OOIOO a listen sometime today.

Rate This Thread: