Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #21
Zoofie

Update :

After spending about 4 hours or so trying to figure out what it is, with no luck (), if it's laying down flat the fret plays fine. It's just in the upright playing position where the fret sounds like a sitar sound!

Regarding adjusting the truss rod, a few people have suggested that there might not be enough relief - ie the neck being too flat. If there was more of a bow, wouldn't that cause more problems at the lower frets?

Last edited by Zoofie : 03-27-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Zoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #22
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoofie
Update :

After spending about 4 hours or so trying to figure out what it is, with no luck (), if it's laying down flat the fret plays fine. It's just in the upright playing position where the fret sounds like a sitar sound!

Regarding adjusting the truss rod, a few people have suggested that there might not be enough relief - ie the neck being too flat. If there was more of a bow, wouldn't that cause more problems at the lower frets?

When you lay down with the guitar, the neck bows backward(goes flatter). I told you how to check your neck relief, and how I adjust it. Did you try that?

It's good to set your truss rod, but if that doesn't fix it then leave it alone. Unless your truss rod is really out of whack, I can't see that being the problem(and even then, you'd have far more issues than you're having now).

You can take it to a tech, but I believe that you might need some fretwork to fix this problem.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #23
Zoofie

Hi there, me again!
It's there any chance that a high fret causing buzz, ISN'T the fret right next to that fret? If you know what I mean.
As in if i'm having severe buzz on the first fret high e, it might not neccessarily be the 2nd or 3rd fret causing the issue?
Zoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #24
CJGunner7

I had the same problem with my first 2 guitars, a change of strings fixed one but with the other one i had to have some frets replaced, make sure there is no dents on the string, if not then i'd say your frets are uneven
CJGunner7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #25
Bigbazz

The first thing I thought was a worn nut issue, trussrod is only going to have extremely minimal (if any) effect at the first fret, an uneven fret is also a perfect possibility.

Take it to a tech to be honest, have him replace the nut and check the frets and it will come back playing beautiful.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)

Last edited by Bigbazz : 04-09-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: