Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #2541
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon

lawl i just read that earlier today.

Quote:
If it's a clown burst, you probably need to keep it out of the case and let it get some sun?

depends on what year it is. they used different reds over the years and they acted differently.

Last edited by gregs1020 : 07-04-2013 at 02:08 AM.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #2542
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

ippon what spray can lacquer stuff do you use?

how is watco? it's cheap by me is why i ask. or minwax? or ?

also, reranch bsb or is there a better one if i'm lazy and use a rattle can? saw graceys and it's a little pricer, but still not too much. thoughts?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #2543
Fastiticalon
Banned

So I have a mid 90's les paul special laying around in desperate need of a refinish. I truly hate the way these guitars look though. Absent the maple top and binding to me a Les Paul just looks like shit. So what do you guys think I should do with this p.o.s? I'm thinking of doing a satin black finish and throwing on a bunch of black gotoh hardware just to get it to a level I can sale the damned thing. I'm curious about what you guys think I should do though?
Fastiticalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #2544
notverycreative

I skimmed through a few pages on the thread and couldn't find anything so sorry if this has already been asked! I'm trying to repaint my guitar and I've already scuff sanded it, but I'm really confused about the different kinds of paint. It seems like acrylic paint is a better choice, so I went out and bought the colour I wanted in acrylic, but I couldn't find any water-based primers?

Also, is Krylon indoor/outdoor (the new formula) enamel or acrylic? Idk because the store employees told me it's water-based but I've read on the internet somewhere that it's oil-based so like yea I'M JUST REALLY CONFUSED ABOUT WHAT KIND OF PAINT I SHOULD BE USING
notverycreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #2545
Explorerbuilder

They dont make any water based primers that i am aware of. But acrylic lacquer can be sprayed on most primers.

Chances are, its enamel. Most krylon is.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Gu...142725369133117
Explorerbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #2546
notverycreative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorerbuilder
They dont make any water based primers that i am aware of. But acrylic lacquer can be sprayed on most primers.

I bought a can of Liquitex acrylic spray paint, is that the same as acrylic lacquer and will it stick to an enamel primer?
Old 08-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #2547
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorerbuilder

Yep! However, you can still find the older version.

Quote:
Here's what I remember from when I called Krylon or maybe Sherwin-Williams, the parent company of Krylon: the colorcoat and clearcoat that you have are both Enamel. So, at least they're compatible and won't crinkle or crease when you apply them together. This is assuming your primer/sanding sealer is also Enamel.

Here are the things to differentiate the old Acrylic Lacquer Krylon from the new Enamel Krylon based on the spraycan descriptions:

Acrylic Lacquer (old formula):
  • Interior-Exterior
  • Dries in 12 Minutes or less
  • Cover is not bullet-shaped
  • 5 balls in a circle forms a circle (front view)
  • Nozzle is not adjustable

Enamel (new formula):
  • Indoor-Outdoor
  • Dries in 10 minutes or less
  • Cover is bullet-shaped
  • 5 balls in a circle is laid flat
  • Nozzle is adjustable

This doesn't mean yours won't work ... it'll just take a bit longer to harden/dry to the point that you can wetsand or sand. You need to be even more patient.

Good Luck!

Old 08-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #2548
notverycreative

Ah ok that's what I thought, thanks! I'm still pretty sure I don't want to use enamel though, I've heard all these horror stories about it never curing...

Also, I looked in 3 different stores and none of them carried the old Krylon so but yea, do you know if any water based paint will stick on an enamel primer? or am I just better off painting on a water based primer with a brush
Old 08-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #2549
Ippon
Amped

Brushing the primer is fine. I've used brush to lay down the final clearcoat top (Polycrylic). The buffing/polishing sorts it out for a mirror finish.

It's better to stick to a family of finish to keep it simple - Acrylic sealer, colorcoat, and clear, unless you want to experiment.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #2550
notverycreative

Quote:
Brushing the primer is fine. I've used brush to lay down the final clearcoat top (Polycrylic). The buffing/polishing sorts it out for a mirror finish.

It's better to stick to a family of finish to keep it simple - Acrylic sealer, colorcoat, and clear, unless you want to experiment.

Will brushing it require a lot more sanding?
Old 08-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #2551
Ippon
Amped

If you're anal about it and just starting out, I'd follow the guidelines closely; so, probably yes, specially if it's rough. Once you get a feel for it, regular wetsanding would be sufficient.

There are pros in this forum; so, listen to them.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #2552
notverycreative

Quote:
If you're anal about it and just starting out, I'd follow the guidelines closely; so, probably yes, specially if it's rough. Once you get a feel for it, regular wetsanding would be sufficient.

There are pros in this forum; so, listen to them.

Alright, thank you so much!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #2553
Regicollis

I have a quick question. Can I spray enamel lacquer on top op wood that has been treated with linseed oil?

I plan on sanding a veneered pickguard with fine wet/dry paper and linseed oil. This will create a slurry of oil and dust that will fill pores and holes giving a smoother surface as well as it wil darken the wood. Can I proceed to spray enamel lacquer on top of such a surface once it is dry?
Regicollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #2554
notverycreative

So I ended up using oil-based primer and the acrylic paint and it's going well so far! I think I'm almost ready to clear coat it, but I just have a few questions:

1) Should I wet sand the acrylic colour coats before I clear coat it? Will the water somehow wash off the paint because it's water-based paint? I've just been sanding it with 600 grit

2) Is it ok to use Krylon acrylic crystal clear spray to clear coat it?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #2555
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regicollis
I have a quick question. Can I spray enamel lacquer on top op wood that has been treated with linseed oil?

I plan on sanding a veneered pickguard with fine wet/dry paper and linseed oil. This will create a slurry of oil and dust that will fill pores and holes giving a smoother surface as well as it wil darken the wood. Can I proceed to spray enamel lacquer on top of such a surface once it is dry?

idk on that one bud, i'll let someone else that's worked with linseed answer you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notverycreative
So I ended up using oil-based primer and the acrylic paint and it's going well so far! I think I'm almost ready to clear coat it, but I just have a few questions:

1) Should I wet sand the acrylic colour coats before I clear coat it? Will the water somehow wash off the paint because it's water-based paint? I've just been sanding it with 600 grit

2) Is it ok to use Krylon acrylic crystal clear spray to clear coat it?

Thanks

1 - i wouldn't. i'd save wet sanding for the clear coats for leveling/polishing. (i think ippon said that as well above somewhere).

2 - yes - he also said, sticking to one family of product for a finish is a good idea.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #2556
notverycreative

Okay, thanks and I wanted to stick to one family of products, but the only acrylic paint I could find was this one and they only make colours (????) and not anything else. But yea thank you for the clarification!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #2557
notverycreative

Sorry for all the questions (and the double post) but I just did the first coat of clear and there are paint splatters/spots everywhere, like they aren't raised or bumpy really, just darker than the non-splattered areas.

Should I sand it, or should I just keep going? Will more coats of clear help cover it up? Thanks guys
Old 08-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #2558
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

can you post pics?

splatters with darker spots doesn't sound right, unless you didn't shoot the entire surface?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #2559
notverycreative

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
can you post pics?

splatters with darker spots doesn't sound right, unless you didn't shoot the entire surface?

ignore the black marks, they're just scratches on my camera lens
Old 12-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #2560
faceships9

my Ibanez S520. first ever paint job. great learning experience
check out the "build thread" here(thanks for looking!):
http://imgur.com/gallery/mcERN

Last edited by faceships9 : 12-25-2013 at 06:44 AM.
faceships9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: