Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #21
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic
 
DeathByDestroyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Minnesota
TS is definitely not looking for something overly modern or saturated.
DeathByDestroyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #22
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
 
ihartfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
TS is definitely not looking for something overly modern or saturated.

blues jr might work for him.

more seriously, I'd look for a rivera knuclekead as well. killer metal amps with excellent cleans. just something that hasn't already been suggested.
or wait for an ASG Hybris

edit: my bad, I read three channels fow two for some reason. oh well.
__________________
My Rig
Like Telecasters?

Last edited by ihartfood : 01-23-2013 at 10:27 PM.
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #23
Firewind Raging
Guitar Face Emperor
 
Firewind Raging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dundee, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakke
Well, it works as a volume, yeah. But that also makes the sound different, as you're decreasing the watts you're kind of driving the amp harder. It also makes the clean headroom disappear a bit. I don't know if it really would be able to do bedroom level playing with an awesome tone, but I'm sure it'd have somewhat low volume. I'd get a different amp for bedroom playing TBH. I have a Blackstar HT-1 at home and it's a nice little amp. But other Blackstar products don't appeal to me at all compared to my Laney VH100R. I actually liked the Laney Ironheart 60H better than the Blackstar Series One 50W head.
So the Ironheart would probably not sound anywhere near as good at low volumes, even if I got a 2x12? I'm thinking about doing that because there's not really any situation where I'm going to be able to crank a 60w head with a 4x12 cab. A 2x12 on the other hand...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
ah ok

i'm actually not sure offhand what i'd suggest... your budget is kind of just shot of the really nice stuff. i'll have a think.
Yeah I know, it's just the TSL really isn't cutting it and it'd take me ages to save up a grand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez1997
In addition to all the great suggestions so far, you could look at a used Mesa/Boogie Mark IV; if you like the tone you should be able to find one used in your budget.
The only used one I can find on eBay (in the UK) is £700, so it's definitely at the high end of my price range but it's still an option. They're seemingly pretty hard to come by over here (impossible to find new) so I'll have to wait til I've got a decent wad of cash saved up and check eBay etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
Someone mentioned a Laney VH, also look at the TT series, not sure about the price and I've seen only one of each locally (used) and they were both fantastic, unfortunately very hard to come by in the States.

That is sad about the JSX - very good amps overall and locally they run around $600-$800 so they could be had at a bargain used. If you don't care much about anything but gain - the Peavey XXX might do the job as well on its 2nd channel. Clean channel is serviceable, I found the lead channel useless. Again if you come by one going cheap, it might be a compromise that'll work in your favor.

Link to the Carvin V3:
https://www.carvinguitars.com/produ....php?product=V3
I'm not sure what the TT series is, can't seem to find it on their products list http://www.laney.co.uk/products

I'd definitely need at least the rhythm and lead channel to be great, so I think I'll give the XXX a miss. Has the Carvin V3 gone out of production? Struggling to actually find it for sale anywhere in the UK

The V3 or V3M definitely seem like the right way to go so far, the amount of options is pretty astounding and it sounds great from all the videos I've watched.
__________________
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS TU-2
Firewind Raging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #24
Firewind Raging
Guitar Face Emperor
 
Firewind Raging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dundee, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Well, with your budget, getting something that's 3 channel will be tough. If the 3 channels are that important, the Egnater Armageddon will do what you want, but it's 3rd channel shares EQ with the 2nd channel, if that matters.

If you don't really NEED 3 channels, the Egnater Vengeance would be a great option.

The EVH 5150 III Mini (the 50w verison) would be the other way I would go if you don't like how dark the Vengeance is.

The 6505+ is the way to go for super modern stuff, but you won't really have cleans. They don't have a very good clean channel, it's more of a lower-gain channel. I personally wouldn't recommend it for what you described.

A Peavey Ultra would be well in your budget and would do what you want.

Peavey 3120 would definitely be high on the list, too.
Well £1500 is way more than I can afford to spare right now, and it'd take ages to save up. For the EVH are the 3 channels clean, crunch and lead? And are they all footswitchable, or is it a pick-whether-you-want-a-clean-or-crunch-channel sort of deal? The Peavey Ultra sounds really good but it's another amp that'll be a nightmare to find, there's like 1 on eBay in the UK and I'm not too keen on the idea of buying a pre-owned amp from overseas for obvious reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
To the OP: have you tried tuning your JCM2000 TSL? Maybe talking to an amp tech you might be able to fix the issues, I remember the DSL sounding a lot better than the TSL, the TSL sounding weaker in the preamp section due to the extra channel being split by the same amount of tubes.
From what I've heard from the TSL though, it should cover Megadeth pretty well, especially their newer sound which are more crunch than grind, so maybe just an eq pedal in front or in the loop or compressor could tighten it as well, or some kind of mod on the amp.
I recently had a mod done on my Fallen angel (Ashdown) amp that totally opened up the gain channel for more gain and the eq for more response, it's a totally new amp!

Do you have a Marshall 1960 cab to go with the JCM2000 TSL? If you don't, that might be the problem. Those amps sound a lot better with their stock cab.
A new cab is definitely on my list of things to buy, is there a 2x12 model of that cab (or something close)? I'm already using a Digitech Bad Monkey btw. I was looking into tubes a while ago but I don't really want to buy a whole new set if it's still not going to get me the sound I want.
__________________
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS TU-2
Firewind Raging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #25
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
the tt was discontinued, that's why it's not on the laney site.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
I had a Blackstar. I felt like I was lied to by Chappers, that fat ****.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #26
diabolical
Registered User
 
diabolical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Not sure about Carvin in England, I know they are selling the V3 in the US, I put up the link above.

Have you tried some effects to see if you can get there? I am thinking maybe a compressor and eq/overdrive might get you there since you're only complaining about one channel.

I will suggest one more amp if you can get to try it - Egnater Tweaker 40 watt combo.
http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterP...eaker40112.html
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonk
Trading an MG + $100 for a Spider is like trading dogshit for catshit and paying for the privilege.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #27
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
 
Blktiger0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Marrietta, Ohio, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewind Raging
Well £1500 is way more than I can afford to spare right now, and it'd take ages to save up. For the EVH are the 3 channels clean, crunch and lead? And are they all footswitchable, or is it a pick-whether-you-want-a-clean-or-crunch-channel sort of deal? The Peavey Ultra sounds really good but it's another amp that'll be a nightmare to find, there's like 1 on eBay in the UK and I'm not too keen on the idea of buying a pre-owned amp from overseas for obvious reasons.A new cab is definitely on my list of things to buy, is there a 2x12 model of that cab (or something close)? I'm already using a Digitech Bad Monkey btw. I was looking into tubes a while ago but I don't really want to buy a whole new set if it's still not going to get me the sound I want.



Well, used, the Armageddon won't be 1500. It should be closer to 1000, maybe less. The Vengeance goes for around $600 - $800 here in the states on the used market, for whatever that's worth over there.

With the 5153, it's like the Armageddon, in that it's BARELY a 3 channel amp. Channels 1 & 2 share EQ, Gain, and Volume settings. the "second channel" just has an extra gain stage over channel 1. In fact, the Armageddon has more of a third channel than the 5153 Mini. The full-sized version of the 5153 has 3 separate channels, but is probably out of budget.

When it comes right down to it, though, with the budget you have, it's not likely you're going to be getting a true 3-channel amp that isn't sacrificing something else to give you that 3rd channel. The TSL has tons of problems, and doesn't sound nearly as good as the DSL, which is the sacrifice you make for the 3rd channel at the price you pay.

My question is, why do you NEED a third channel? A two channel amp should be plenty enough. If you want to tone down to a crunch sound with less gain than your 2nd channel is set for, use your guitar's volume knob. If you want different EQ settings on the fly, use an EQ pedal in the loop and/or your guitar's Volume and Tone knobs. If you need a boost for solos, use an OD pedal or EQ pedal. If you really NEED 3 channels to be switchable during one song, you're probably either going to have to up your budget or else get a two channel amp and learn how to improvise.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #28
Firewind Raging
Guitar Face Emperor
 
Firewind Raging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dundee, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
the tt was discontinued, that's why it's not on the laney site.
Ah right, well it'll probably be almost impossible to track one down to try it out but I'll see if they're on eBay when I've saved up some dolla'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
Not sure about Carvin in England, I know they are selling the V3 in the US, I put up the link above.

Have you tried some effects to see if you can get there? I am thinking maybe a compressor and eq/overdrive might get you there since you're only complaining about one channel.

I will suggest one more amp if you can get to try it - Egnater Tweaker 40 watt combo.
http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterP...eaker40112.html
Yeah I'm in the UK and there's at least 1 site that has them so I'll just order it from there if I go for it, if I want to send it back it's better if it doesn't have to cross the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Well, used, the Armageddon won't be 1500. It should be closer to 1000, maybe less. The Vengeance goes for around $600 - $800 here in the states on the used market, for whatever that's worth over there.

With the 5153, it's like the Armageddon, in that it's BARELY a 3 channel amp. Channels 1 & 2 share EQ, Gain, and Volume settings. the "second channel" just has an extra gain stage over channel 1. In fact, the Armageddon has more of a third channel than the 5153 Mini. The full-sized version of the 5153 has 3 separate channels, but is probably out of budget.

When it comes right down to it, though, with the budget you have, it's not likely you're going to be getting a true 3-channel amp that isn't sacrificing something else to give you that 3rd channel. The TSL has tons of problems, and doesn't sound nearly as good as the DSL, which is the sacrifice you make for the 3rd channel at the price you pay.

My question is, why do you NEED a third channel? A two channel amp should be plenty enough. If you want to tone down to a crunch sound with less gain than your 2nd channel is set for, use your guitar's volume knob. If you want different EQ settings on the fly, use an EQ pedal in the loop and/or your guitar's Volume and Tone knobs. If you need a boost for solos, use an OD pedal or EQ pedal. If you really NEED 3 channels to be switchable during one song, you're probably either going to have to up your budget or else get a two channel amp and learn how to improvise.
Well from the suggestions so far the only one that doesn't seem to have a weakness is the Carvin, it has 3 separate channels, has a master volume and separate EQ's for each.

The reason I need a 3rd channel because I'm in a covers band and I need to cover clean, mild crunch, heavy crunch, leads and solos. An OD pedal doesn't work as a volume boost on anything but the clean channel, certainly not enough to use for solos. I don't have the time to be changing the settings on my amp between every song either, that's just a massive hassle. Adding volume boosts in the loop doesn't work for the TSL either because the FX loop is parallel so it prevents that, unlike the DSL.
__________________
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS TU-2
Firewind Raging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #29
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
Buy a new set of tubes for your TSL and then get a good cab and you will probably change your mind about it.

I use a DSL with a Krank rev 4x12 cab, and the Eminence V12's work extremely well with that amp.

I relly don't like the V3 series from Carvin. yes they are very well made, but they are extremely fizzy sounding amps. I have heard that a tube change will help, but I still would not chance it.

Check out the Framus Dragon or Cobra You can get them for <$1300 here in the US used and they are very expensive amps new (and they are from germany which might be cheaper for you)
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #30
diabolical
Registered User
 
diabolical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX
After we've exhausted all the amp talk I'd also suggest another approach. For one of my bands I needed exactly what you described: 3 channels, clean, crunch, distortion that can then go to boost for lead. All the amp solutions I had were falling short so I went for a Sansamp PSA-1 which is a midi controlled analog preamp. I paired it with a Peavey Classic 50/50 (power amp), a cheap midi switch and then added few effects, mainly noise gate, chorus and delay, analog at first and then later actually a Boss GT-10 which did the effects and midi switching.

As far as styles are concerned, it was pretty much what you describe. I need quick changes on the spot as I was also vocalist and couldn't afford to ride volumes, change settings, etc.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonk
Trading an MG + $100 for a Spider is like trading dogshit for catshit and paying for the privilege.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #31
Perverockstar69
Registered User
 
Perverockstar69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Call me crazy but for that kind of metal (Alice Cooper to Megadeth) I'd prefer a Marshallesque sounding amp...

Laney GH/VH, Marshall JCM or Vintage modern with an Od, or stuff like that!

Edit: TS, your amp should do it without any problem, know how to use an Od pedal, guitars volume pot and playing dynamics properly...
__________________

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)

Last edited by Perverockstar69 : 01-26-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #32
Firewind Raging
Guitar Face Emperor
 
Firewind Raging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dundee, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Buy a new set of tubes for your TSL and then get a good cab and you will probably change your mind about it.

I use a DSL with a Krank rev 4x12 cab, and the Eminence V12's work extremely well with that amp.

I relly don't like the V3 series from Carvin. yes they are very well made, but they are extremely fizzy sounding amps. I have heard that a tube change will help, but I still would not chance it.

Check out the Framus Dragon or Cobra You can get them for <$1300 here in the US used and they are very expensive amps new (and they are from germany which might be cheaper for you)
Yeah I'll give it a go with some new tubes etc., and if it doesn't meet my needs I'll start saving up for a new amp. I didn't think the Carvin sounded fizzy when I listened to it, it just sounded really good. Certainly not as fizzy as a typical Marshall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
After we've exhausted all the amp talk I'd also suggest another approach. For one of my bands I needed exactly what you described: 3 channels, clean, crunch, distortion that can then go to boost for lead. All the amp solutions I had were falling short so I went for a Sansamp PSA-1 which is a midi controlled analog preamp. I paired it with a Peavey Classic 50/50 (power amp), a cheap midi switch and then added few effects, mainly noise gate, chorus and delay, analog at first and then later actually a Boss GT-10 which did the effects and midi switching.

As far as styles are concerned, it was pretty much what you describe. I need quick changes on the spot as I was also vocalist and couldn't afford to ride volumes, change settings, etc.
Sounds like a good last resort if every other option fails, never thought of doing that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverockstar69
Call me crazy but for that kind of metal (Alice Cooper to Megadeth) I'd prefer a Marshallesque sounding amp...

Laney GH/VH, Marshall JCM or Vintage modern with an Od, or stuff like that!

Edit: TS, your amp should do it without any problem, know how to use an Od pedal, guitars volume pot and playing dynamics properly...
Haha I know how to use an OD pedal, I've been successfully using it for several years now. The TSL doesn't sound great with my cab at least, and this is causing me problems so I'm going to try and fix it before selling it for the Carvin. Using the volume pot only works when you have the time to adjust it, it doesn't have the instant change of a different channel which is what I'm after.
__________________
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS TU-2
Firewind Raging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 AM   #33
diabolical
Registered User
 
diabolical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX
I used the PSA-1 in the fx loop on my JCM900, it also works great so analog preamp with digital switching might be the way to go for you. I know of a few other ones that might fit the bill if you want to split the system in tow - Marshall JMP1 (Judas, Priest, Iron Maiden and bunch of others use them), Mesa Triaxis, ADA MP1 as far as the ones I know. The MP1 might not be able to cover the dense crunch you might be after, that one sounds a bit more vintage, think Metallica "Ride the Lighting" era sound, which they used it on.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonk
Trading an MG + $100 for a Spider is like trading dogshit for catshit and paying for the privilege.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #34
Perverockstar69
Registered User
 
Perverockstar69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewind Raging
Yeah I'll give it a go with some new tubes etc., and if it doesn't meet my needs I'll start saving up for a new amp. I didn't think the Carvin sounded fizzy when I listened to it, it just sounded really good. Certainly not as fizzy as a typical Marshall.Sounds like a good last resort if every other option fails, never thought of doing that.Haha I know how to use an OD pedal, I've been successfully using it for several years now. The TSL doesn't sound great with my cab at least, and this is causing me problems so I'm going to try and fix it before selling it for the Carvin. Using the volume pot only works when you have the time to adjust it, it doesn't have the instant change of a different channel which is what I'm after.


I can adjust my volumes pot quickly, at least for my tastes, then I'm still pretty sure two channels are more than enough with proper pedals, try with a different cab? I'm no trying to be a dick man, just saying MAYBE you don't have to spend a lot more on a different amp, it's always easier and cheaper to try making small changes first, even more if your amp seems capable (at my understanding) of what you want.
__________________

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #35
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!
 
FatalGear41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saturn's Rings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermon
I recently got a Laney Ironheart that sounds fantastic and is a killer metal amp. I did a NAD with a big long review I'll copy the link to here if you want. In short though, they're fantastic and the heads are like $850 new if you get the 60 watt head.


^I was going to suggest the Ironheart. I've head very good things about it. I wish someone in L.A. would start stocking them.
__________________
"It's only Rock and Roll until someone loses an eye!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #36
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
Framus cobra/dragon you will have to look used, but thy are really nice amps
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 AM   #37
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
since it has't been mentioned here, splawn could be a good answer. more specifically the Pro Mod (KT88) or a Nitro (KT88) i got mine shipped to my door used for $1000. one had new tubes, the other came with a cover. i love them. however don't even dream of quiet practice.

more commonly used is the Quick Rod (same as the PM although EL34's), it basically sounds like a really pissed of marshall. they have three 'gears' each with a OD1 and OD2. lots of flexibility. cleans are't the best, they will have some dirt in them at higher volumes unless you really roll back the volume on your guitar.

just a thought. probably not overly common, but good amps for the $$$.
__________________

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:31 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.