Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
CalicoSkies

Locking tuners on acoustic guitars?

Why is it that locking tuners aren't used on acoustic guitars? At least, I've never seen an acoustic guitar with locking tuners. I recently replaced the tuners on a couple of my electrics, and I think they make it very fast & convenient to change strings. So, why not use them on acoustic guitars?

After doing a quick search online, it seems that a common reason is that locking tuners were made for guitars with a tremolo, which is usually an electric guitar. But what do locking tuners have to do with tremolos?
CalicoSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
ccannon1
Band Geek

Using a tremolo causes the strings to slip and go out of tune, locking tuners prevent this.

I don't really see much need for them on an acoustic, but there isn't really any huge reason I'd see why not.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:28 AM   #3
Captaincranky

I think Carvin puts locking tuners on most, if not all of its guitars, even their semi-acoustic guitars. (They stop selling their Asian import line of true acoustics, which I believe, had standard tuners). This12 string, comes stock with locking tuners: http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/ac275-12

In any case, I expect they wouldn't be a terribly bad idea. Especially for people who are a bit inconsistent in their stringing technique.

On a different note, does either of you know if a locking top nut, would preempt the need for locking tuners on a tremolo equipped guitar?

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-14-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Bikewer

Having played acoustic guitars (and other acoustic instruments) for over 40 years.....There just isn't any need.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
CalicoSkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannon1
Using a tremolo causes the strings to slip and go out of tune, locking tuners prevent this.

I don't really see much need for them on an acoustic, but there isn't really any huge reason I'd see why not.

Well it seems a big part of it is the convenience of being able to change strings quickly, without having to wind the string around the tuning peg. So it seems to me as more of an issue of preference and not as much about "need".
Old 10-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
CalicoSkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
I think Carvin puts locking tuners on most, if not all of its guitars, even their semi-acoustic guitars. (They stop selling their Asian import line of true acoustics, which I believe, had standard tuners). This12 string, comes stock with locking tuners: http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/ac275-12

In any case, I expect they wouldn't be a terribly bad idea. Especially for people who are a bit inconsistent in their stringing technique.

Interesting, thanks for posting.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
ccannon1
Band Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
On a different note, does either of you know if a locking top nut, would preempt the need for locking tuners on a tremolo equipped guitar?

I don't particularly know, sorry.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
Bikewer

Seems like it should, but the nut and it's clamping mechanism must be very carefully set up to work properly... Just enough of the string raised above the nut slot for the clamp to grip properly.

Action adjustments might be a bitch.....
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
dgonz
Rectified

There is no reason you can't buy a set of Sperzel or other brand locking tuners and put them on any electric or acoustic guitar. I have them on my Strat. I never use the trem. I just put them on for convenience of changing strings.

I thought about putting them on a Taylor I had, but decided it wasn't necessary. It would make the headstock heavier, change the tone a bit (maybe good, maybe not) and would just "bastardize" a nice guitar.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #10
atza

Maybe you should aproach an acoustic guitar maker with that idea and if it takes of have a share in that venture
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
Steve BP
Sonic Abuser

Quote:

My 2006 Ibanez S470 has a really nice whammy bar, a locking nut and no locking tuners. It has excellent tuning stability! I'm open to being shown otherwise, but it seems to me that a locking nut AND locking tuners would be redundant, unless you are a real "belt AND suspenders" kind of person

Until you posted the photo earlier, I did not know that acoustics ever came with locking tuners ... I don't understand the need.
Steve BP is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: