Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
CalicoSkies

Strat pickguards

I'm considering replacing the pickguard on my Deluxe Player's Stratocaster (I think a different colored pickguard might look better on it). Since the screw holes are in slightly different places for Mexican-made vs. American-made Stratocasters, I'm not sure how to tell whether a particular pickguard will work for my Deluxe Player's Strat. Some pickguards say they're for an American Stratocaster, some don't specify which type of Strat they are for. So, what I should I look for when buying a Stratocaster pickguard?

These are some I saw online but I'm not sure which Strats they are made for:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stratocaste...=item3cc650b3d3
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FENDER-STRA...W-/380625815321
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FENDER-STRA...W-/370834939841
CalicoSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Count the outside screws. Some fender's use 8 holes and others have 11 holes. Count how many screw holes there are on the edge of your pickguard, so this doesn't include any pickup holes or pickup selector holes. The 3 you linked there are 11 hole pickguards.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
CalicoSkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
Count the outside screws. Some fender's use 8 holes and others have 11 holes. Count how many screw holes there are on the edge of your pickguard, so this doesn't include any pickup holes or pickup selector holes. The 3 you linked there are 11 hole pickguards.

It's more than just the number of holes though. The locations of some of the holes differ on some models. One of my Strats is a MIM Strat that takes an 11 hole pickguard, and bought a loaded pickguard for it with an 11 hole pickguard, and some of the holes didn't line up.
CalicoSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
zenbone
King of two things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoSkies
It's more than just the number of holes though. The locations of some of the holes differ on some models. One of my Strats is a MIM Strat that takes an 11 hole pickguard, and bought a loaded pickguard for it with an 11 hole pickguard, and some of the holes didn't line up.

This will happen from time to time, the majority of the holes will line up with slight variation on a few. All you need to do is wood glue tooth picks into the near misses or all of the holes (if you want a really tight fit) then create small pilot hols and put the screws in your fresh new wood and off you go.
zenbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: