Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

Any one used a Strings damper & which version ?

Getting my sweep picking working pretty well and after abit of youtubing noticed all the guys that have it down have a damper of some type..

any one tried them which model worked best OR did you make you own ?

so far I've found theses

Buznut

Gruv Gear

Battens on All parts

MAB Dampener thanks Andy Pollow

any other or opinions ?

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.

Last edited by T4D : 02-12-2013 at 02:29 AM.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

and who exactly are all the guys?

All the professionals who "have it down" can play just as competent without a dampener, they just use it for recording purposes. You shouldn't use a dampener yourself unless you plan on recording with it, and you especially should not use it during practice time. You'd just be tricking yourself into thinking you can mute as good as you sound. When the time comes to take it off you'd realize.. Wait a minute, i can't actually mute like i thought i could.

PS: I don't have anything against people using dampeners in a recording environment, but using it during practice in my opinion is counterproductive.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112

Last edited by vayne92 : 02-11-2013 at 05:27 AM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92
and who exactly are all the guys?.

Yeah Yeah I'm a di*k Not everyone,. I just noticed afew
give me a break Man

but i still want one to test and see the good and bad or can you hand make one
I tried a hair tie but the middle strings don't get damped..

OK cheating or "those opinions",. I'm lost ,. but let me expression my opinion on the subject. ( i know other will have different feelings and they are welcome

Music is an art form.
The idea of cheating when expressing yourself,. is an impossible idea to me..

UNLESS you think of playing guitar is a competition or thinking of it as a sport ?

Sorry been commercial artist for many years and the day I think of art is a sport would be the saddest day of my life...

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.

Last edited by T4D : 02-11-2013 at 07:01 AM.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4D
OK cheating or "those opinions",. I'm lost ,. but let me expression my opinion on the subject. ( i know other will have different feelings and they are welcome

Music is an art form.

UNLESS you think of playing guitar is a competition or thinking of it as a sport ?

Sorry been commercial artist for many years and the day I think of art is a sport would be the saddest day of my life...

The idea is not that it's cheating but that if for some reason you end up playing gear that isn't yours you'd have to stay away from a bunch of ideas that you'd only practiced with the damper.

Having seen many of the people who use these in person I can safely say that most of them don't actually need it at all, they just choose to use it just in case.

However... go for the Gruv Gear ones, everyone I know who's used one has been extremely happy with the results. Definitely don't go with one of the batten ones, too much alteration to the guitar and the Buzznut ones seem too hit-and-miss looking at how they're supposed to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 02-11-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4D

Music is an art form.

I made a concentrated effort on not using the word cheat because i also agree it's not cheating, and cheating doesn't exactly exist in music. But it's certainly not helping you out in a technical aspect. You can't deny that it isn't going to do you any good for improving your ability. I'd never use a dampener unless recording, and even recording I've yet to use one. I know where i stand with my muting ability in sweep picking and i'm not going to use a dampener because at the end of the day i know that's not me. That's a weird way to put it, but i've never been one interested in dampener's. To each his own, just recognise the time and place for it i guess i'm trying to say.
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112

Last edited by vayne92 : 02-11-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
barbuzim1

I am just using a hair bend, cut & re-tied to mute the string. it's supper cheep & if you are like me- using your arm to pick & not your wrist it's a must. Greg Howe is using one- live & in recording. If you practice with one, perform with one & record with one.

The only problem is that you are losing the option to use open strings.

If you do use your wrist to pick it is really good to work on muting the strings with your palm, it makes your total playing (not just sweepicking) much more clear.
barbuzim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

If it removes the open string options then I think its useless for me. Seeing em on Basses too, but my Guitars/Bass are fine without em.
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Andy Pollow

Google MAB dampener. Thats the best one I think because you can lift it up for rythym playing and put it down fast for lead. A sock works great too. But if your not going to use it all the time its better to not use it at all. Muting is a complicated thing you need to practice alot.

Last edited by Andy Pollow : 02-11-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Andy Pollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
bondmorkret

Go for the sock around the strings trick, achieves the same, or work on your muting technique
Old 03-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
string dampener
Banned

They Are Also Used Behind The Nut... Placed Across The Strings Between There And The Tuners. It Tightens Up Your Tone And Gets Rid Of After Ring And Unwanted Noise. 7/8string Guitars Have Even More To Gain From Dampeners. As The Strings Vibrate Sonicly Travels Through The Guitar And The Pickups Pick It Up.. The End Result Is Ring And An Almost Reverb Effect.
string dampener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #11
string dampener
Banned

Dampeners are also used behind the nut,placed across the strings between there and the tuners. it stops the strings that arent played from vibrating. when they do it sonicly travels through the guitar and the pickups send it out to your amp. the result is a after ring almost re-verb like sound. 7/8 strings and guitars with longer distances between the nut and the tuners have more to gain from dampeners.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #12
string dampener
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92
and who exactly are all the guys?

All the professionals who "have it down" can play just as competent without a dampener, they just use it for recording purposes. You shouldn't use a dampener yourself unless you plan on recording with it, and you especially should not use it during practice time. You'd just be tricking yourself into thinking you can mute as good as you sound. When the time comes to take it off you'd realize.. Wait a minute, i can't actually mute like i thought i could.

PS: I don't have anything against people using dampeners in a recording environment, but using it during practice in my opinion is counterproductive.

Dampeners are also used behind the nut,placed across the strings between there and the tuners. it stops the strings that arent played from vibrating. when they do it sonicly travels through the guitar and the pickups send it out to your amp. the result is a after ring almost re-verb like sound. 7/8 strings and guitars with longer distances between the nut and the tuners have more to gain from dampeners.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
string dampener
Banned

anyone who would like a string dampener cheep price. made in usa. can go to my web site www.guitarstringdampeners.com Dampeners are also used behind the nut,placed across the strings between there and the tuners. it stops the strings that arent played from vibrating. when they do it sonicly travels through the guitar and the pickups send it out to your amp. the result is a after ring almost re-verb like sound. 7/8 strings and guitars with longer distances between the nut and the tuners have more to gain from dampeners.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #14
string dampener
Banned

hello im a metal guitarist and have a website www.guitarstringdampeners.com anybody wanting to benifit from a string dampener and have one that looks good also. and made usa 7.00 shipped!!
Old 03-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #15
jthabcd

Couldn't a persons right hand palm dampen the strings while the person is playing?

Or am i confused?
jthabcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #16
cdgraves

You have several fingers and a palm to mute with, why do you need anything else?

Muting the strings is part of generally good technique. If you don't do it, you may have a hard time developing the relaxation needed to play difficult material.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:14 AM   #17
Cajundaddy

I think there are valid times and reasons to use a string damper. I use a woman's hair ponytail thingie. I keep one on my acoustic when I play a lot of inside arpeggios in weird keys like Bb or Eb. A stray open string in these keys is death. Like anything. If you depend on any tool too often it can delay your technique development.

This guy uses a damper to good effect and his technique doesn't stink too badly:

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV

Last edited by Cajundaddy : 03-23-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:50 AM   #18
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

This thread got revived by a ****ing guy named 'String Dampener' trying to sell his string dampener's.. what the ****
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
Old 03-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #19
se012101

Thoughts on cheating in general: nah, there's no such thing, other than maybe using the guitar robot from the other thread to play for you ha. However, it's possible to cheat yourself. If your goal is to get better, then every lick that you have trouble with is an opportunity to improve by putting in the time and solving whatever it is that is making it difficult for you. If you avoid the challenge, like using a hair tie to avoid having to work on your muting technique, then you won't develop as much.
se012101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: