Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
GuitarzMyThing

Talking Best monitors for a selective price for my future home studio?

Hi!

I am pretty good at recording and I do a lot of it with some bands at school. I have slowly saved my money and bought myself a Macbook 15 inch, a Interface (Focusrite 2i2), keyboard, amps, SM57 and SM58 (Good enough for now) a really awesome pair of headphones (Shure 440's - LOVE THEM!) and all I really need right now is monitors... Now i'm looking for the best pair of monitors around the price range of 200-300$ for the pair. My friend offered to sell me his KRK Rokit 5's for 300$ since he upgraded and doesn't need them anymore. But I was talking to a few guys at my local music store and they said KRK's are not very good mixing monitors since they have enhanced frequences. I listened to the Rokit 5's at the store and they sounded pretty damn good for the price but I can see what they mean by them being a little more bassy and balanced then others that I listened to. Not a very good flat rate. So I turned the offer down. He said if I change my mind he will sell them to me for the same price. Now I am here asking anyone of you, what is the best monitor for 200-300$ for the pair. Was it a bad idea to turn the offer down, should I get the Rokit 5's and why? If not, what is the best?

Thanks!
GuitarzMyThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

The Rokit 5's sell for $300 a pair new so I don't know why you'd buy a used pair for the price of a new pair.

Anyways, the Equador D5's are $300 a pair and they're amazing sounding. Also, despite the brands reputation, the Behringer Truth series of monitors are pretty solid as well. Though I'd see if your friend will go lower on the Rokits first. If you can get him to knock the price under $250, I'd go with those. They do have some hyped frequencies but they're still miles better than most other monitors in its price range.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
DeathMetal616

Yamaha hs-50 are also 300 bucks new, and they are very good as far as I can tell!
I personally don't like the KRKs, but the Equators are great.
DeathMetal616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
falltownmusic

I've got the Yamaha HS80M's in my home studio... granted, they're a little more money than you said you wanted to spend, but they're a great monitor for the money. Super flat, so what you're hearing back is exactly what you've got; they don't alter your tones at all. I've not used the HS50M's, but I've heard equally positive feedback.

I've got some friends who have used the KRK's and actually replaced them with the HS80M's, for what that's worth.
falltownmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

The HS80M's are very nice. Mind you, they are in his price range only when you consider the fact that they are typically priced per speaker and not for the pair. He could get one and stay in budget.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Highelf04
UG's ONLY Batgirl

I just bought a set of M-Audio BX5's
Love them
Took them over some Rokit 5's
The Rokit's had WAY too much bass for my liking
I mean, there was no drop in bass between a set of 8 inch speakers and the Rokit 5's...
No bass differential...

in the balls

LEICESTER CITY

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClockHouseBand

Clockhouse is a thing
Find us
Listen to us
Love us
Highelf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highelf04
Love them
I mean, there was no drop in bass between a set of 8 inch speakers and the Rokit 5's...
No bass differential...

Really? I liked the Rokits over the BX5's and if I remember correctly, they were my least favorite in that price range.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:21 AM   #8
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Love them
No bass differential...

No offence, but you were almost certainly listening in a bad environment, or not listening for the right frequency range.

The difference between the Rokit 5's and the 8's is huge, not just in frequency range but also flatness of the whole range. There are more reasons to go for the bigger speakers than just the extended low end. The RP5's have a frequency range that is +/- 3dB across the range, the RP6's are +/- 1.5dB and the RP8's are +/1 1dB or something along those lines in terms of increasing accuracy as the woofer size increases. The bass response is only noticeable from 50Hz and lower, as the RP8's go down to 45Hz before rolling off, whereas the RP5's is like 52Hz or something. I can't remember the exact spec.s but that is basically the sort of difference.

Anyway, nothing splits opinion here like monitors. Personally, while I have some bias towards the Rokits as I have a pair of RP6's, I would take them over the M-Audio or Yamaha or even Adam A7's any day - I know the speakers now, and for me they have a nicer mid-range. A7's sounded scooped to me; M-Audio sound boxy to me; and the Yamaha's annoy me because they tried to market them as the new NS-10 when they came out, even though they're nothing alike and sound completely different (I've had this rant on here before, so I won't go into it again, but almost all lower end monitors are ported, including the HS series, whereas the NS-10 were a sealed-box/infinite baffle design... look the two design types up on wikipedia and discover the huge differences yourself).

Excluding Rokits, I'd take the Yamaha over the M-Audio or Behringer Truth, though this is unfair on the Behringer as I've never heard them - I just struggle with the concept of Behringer making good products so I don't think I could look up at my monitors every day and see that name on them... I'm a terrible person Oh, and anyone who complains about the Rokits' hyped low end - there's EQ on the back, not to mention that it isn't as hyped as people claim. With a good reference mix, it's easy enough to get the low end right (or check translation on headphones) and I much prefer their midrange to that of the competitors I've heard. I certainly don't have issues getting mixes to translate well enough.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
Highelf04
UG's ONLY Batgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Stuff

I couldn't afford/have the space for 8 inch monitors

I was under the impression, the Behringer Truth monitors were rip-offs of the KRK rokits

in the balls

LEICESTER CITY

Like us on Facebook

Clockhouse is a thing
Find us
Listen to us
Love us
Old 12-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:

I was under the impression, the Behringer Truth monitors were rip-offs of the KRK rokits

They're a rip off of Yamaha's if anything.

Quote:
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:

Depends on which ones, I believe the b1030a's are similar to the KRKs, the 2030s are similar to the Yamahas and the 3030s are modeled after the Adams. Even if they are rip offs, they managed to do a good job ripping them off. Like I said, I bought the B3031A's based off the the good reviews I read.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Highelf04
UG's ONLY Batgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
Depends on which ones, I believe the b1030a's are similar to the KRKs, the 2030s are similar to the Yamahas and the 3030s are modeled after the Adams. Even if they are rip offs, they managed to do a good job ripping them off. Like I said, I bought the B3031A's based off the the good reviews I read.

b1030a's....thats the one's I was on about
I thought monitors were one of the few things that behringer got right

in the balls

LEICESTER CITY

Like us on Facebook

Clockhouse is a thing
Find us
Listen to us
Love us
Old 12-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Monitors & their Mixers aren't half bad either. Also, if they get this bad boy, they can take a huge chunk of the audio recording world as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
Highelf04
UG's ONLY Batgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
Monitors & their Mixers aren't half bad either. Also, if they get this bad boy, they can take a huge chunk of the audio recording world as well.

Hmm.....IF they get it right

Looks like a focusrite rip off xD

in the balls

LEICESTER CITY

Like us on Facebook

Clockhouse is a thing
Find us
Listen to us
Love us
Old 12-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Hmm.....IF they get it right

Looks like a focusrite rip off xD

RME Actually: http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_ufx.php

I don't expect it to be as good as the RME since thats a $2000 interface and the Behringer one is going to be $250

The ADA800 preamps that Behringer made are solid pres for the price. If they got the AD conversion and have solid drivers behind them, for the $250 its going to be, its a steal. I honestly think they can do it since Behringer knows how to make good preamps, it just comes down to a few small things.

Sorry OP for hijacking the thread :p
Old 12-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
MatrixClaw
UG God

^I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the preamps sound better in the Behringer unit, since they now own Midas. The UFX's pres are alright, but RME pres have never impressed me, especially at the price. Great conversion (though, not that much better than the Pro 40), but at the price point they cost, I was expecting a much larger improvement over my $500 interface

As far as monitors go, +1 to Equator D5s.

Quote:
A7's sounded scooped to me

They must've been broken then, cause A7s are anything BUT scooped The midrange on them is so prevalent, that's why people love them for mixing guitars and vocals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #17
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Equator D5, Behringer Truth 3030A, Yamaha HS50Ms, ESI uniK 05, all fantastic monitors for the price. Maybe the Mackie MR5 or Studiospares SN10 too.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:42 PM   #18
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
They must've been broken then, cause A7s are anything BUT scooped The midrange on them is so prevalent, that's why people love them for mixing guitars and vocals.

Nah, probably the room plus it being when I was a first year and knew less But I still think the Rokits have a tighter midrange, at least from my admittedly unfair experience with both. I dunno if the A7X's are different however, as I have only listened to the A7's.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: