Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Rauvounous
Searching for DONUTS!

Throw away?

Anyone have some ideas with what I could do with this little piece or should I just dump it?
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 p[.gp5 (5.0 KB, 78 views)

Check out https://soundcloud.com/repulsive-impulse
Rauvounous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
LuckyLu

I don't think you should dump anything. Eventually you'll find something to use it for.
By the way, you could have just gone with simple 4/4 time.
LuckyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
stompbox

just remember alot of little things can become one big thing
stompbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
Rauvounous
Searching for DONUTS!

I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to writing songs so any advice would be appreciated

Check out https://soundcloud.com/repulsive-impulse
Rauvounous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
HotspurJr

I have no way ability to listen to a gp5 file, so i can't help you there.

I will say this about songwriting, though:

If you don't believe in it, don't expect anyone else to, either. The one thing you have as a songwriter (particularly as an inexperienced songwriter) is your sense of taste. You can not stop and ask for help every step of the way. You want to be a songwriter, write songs.

Some of them will suck. If you can tell the ones which suck from the ones that don't, you're in good shape. If you can't, keep working, keep developing your ear, keep studying songs you do like.

Furthermore, I never throw anything away. I have lots of half-finished songs, but to my mind they're half finished not because I've abandoned them but because I have come up with the right way to finish them.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
I have no way ability to listen to a gp5 file, so i can't help you there.

If anyone else has this trouble, I do highly recommend Tux Guitar. It's free, and will import most of the more popular tab program formats out there.

Quote:
Some will suck.

The great part about this is, you can go back and fix them later. "Jenny Lee" is actually one of my first compositions. I wrote it, then revisited it a few years later, trashed most of it, and rewrote the rest. It's a much better song as a result.

Thing is, you can't do that if you never finish it in the first place. Otherwise, yeah. If you can't figure out what to do with it, leave it alone until you can.

Last edited by CarsonStevens : 01-08-2013 at 09:17 PM.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #7
20Tigers

Quote:
Furthermore, I never throw anything away. I have lots of half-finished songs, but to my mind they're half finished not because I've abandoned them but because I have come up with the right way to finish them.

Are you actively working on them on a daily basis (or at least on a weekly basis)?

and why haven't you come up with the right way to finish them yet? What's stopping you?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:04 AM   #8
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
Why haven't you come up with the right way to finish them yet? What's stopping you?

It's hard to explain. Sometimes you just "know".

Like, when I first wrote "Day by Day", I couldn't not hear the riff to "Code Monkey" in the chorus. Every time I sat there trying to come up with another way to put chords behind the chorus, I just kept hearing Code Monkey. So, I put the song away for a damn long time, then brought it out again when it was no longer fresh in my mind. I futzed with it for a bit, and then the current chorus riff came to me.

Sure, you can pretty much put anything behind a set of lyrics, or come up with any melody, just to have one... but sometimes nothing feels right except what's supposed to go there... and you don't always think of it right away.

Although, I'd have to say two things helped me immensely. First, just writing a lot of music. I can finish a song a lot more quickly these days, and I'm usually happy with the results. Secondly, I just kinda stopped second-guessing myself. Write it down whether you like it or not, and decide later if it should stay. And even if it shouldn't stay, keep it anyway. You may find a use for it somewhere else.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: