Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Modern Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
-Retro-

Three Days Grace: Adam Gontier's departure.

So...today, Three Days Grace announced the departure of lead singer Adam Gontier due to a health concern. He's been replaced by Matt Walst, lead singer of My Darkest Days, for their upcoming tour with Shinedown.

As a big fan of Three Days Grace, I'm extremely bummed as of hearing this today.

Don't get me wrong, Matt Walst is a good singer. Three Days Grace even posted a few songs with Matt Walst singing on them, including "Chalk Outline" from their latest album, Transit of Venus. I can't help it though that I'm struggling to see the band as Three Days Grace anymore.

Yeah, there are some great examples of bands who survived and prospered with new singers (i.e. Alice In Chains, AC/DC), but Adam Gontier has such a great voice. Hell, he has a voice range from high tenor to medium low bass! He's the lead songwriter as well. Three Days Grace without Adam Gontier just isn't Three Days Grace anymore. For me, at least.

A friend of mine is a huge fan of them, and he has tickets to see them in February. I get that Matt Walst isn't a permanent replacement, but the fact that Gontier officially resigned is just a huge bummer. The gig is just going to be really different now.

Props to Three Days Grace for continuing, but for me it's just not going to be the same at all without Adam.
-Retro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
gaslight muse

This was posted on Gontier's Facebook page

ADAM GONTIER’S “ADDRESS OF RESIGNATION” FROM THREE DAYS GRACE

To all of my fans, my friends, my family, these are my words coming from my heart, separate from my role as “lead singer of Three Days Grace”.

I want you all to know how very thankful I am for your consistent love, your respect, and you’re undying support. It is important for me to address any concerns regarding my health being connected to drugs or addiction. The truth is, when I was struggling during that dark time in my life, I hit rock bottom, and I had the kindest of people reach out from all over the world, and reach their hands out to help pick me up. I am so blessed to be walking in the light now. I am reminded of your loyalty, always. The truth is, and I’m very proud to say this..., I am sober. That chapter in my life is over.

There have been many defining moments in my life. My time as part of Three Days Grace is most definitely one of the miraculous ones. I have had so many tender hearted people share with me their stories. How I’ve touched, or changed their lives. My truth is that all of the love I have received has forever changed my life. Each letter I’ve read, every picture I’ve been sent, all of the voices I’ve heard sing along with me, I will forever remember, and never forget...

After twenty years of being part of an ever evolving band, I have been inspired by life, to move on and to continue to evolve on my own terms. I could not be more grateful for all the souls who have travelled along with me. A journey I look back on with integrity, and a future I look forward to with such hope. I have always admired brave hearts. Life is always changing. I will continue to follow my heart, and what I love to do. I’m not sure what the next horizon will look like, but I do have all the faith in the world that whatever it is, It’s meant to be, and I have faith that blessings will continue to shine over all of us. I once heard a “brave heart” say:

“When nothing is sure, everything is possible.”

It’s because of my life’s journey, because of all of you, that I believe.

Sincerely, with love,

Adam
gaslight muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
TremontiAddict

I've got tickets to see them in February as well. I was primarily going to see Shinedown, but I'm still pretty bummed about this. Thought it would have been good for Adam to have resigned after this spring tour if he was going to do it. But I don't know what all is going on with him, so I won't judge him for his reasons.
TremontiAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
-Retro-

Yeah, I don't blame him at all if it's a health issue. It would have been bad to cancel the tour completely, but it's just not Three Days Grace without Adam Gontier.

On a side note, seeing Shinedown with Godsmack over the summer was awesome. Godsmack not so much, but Shinedown really rocked. It'd be cool if Brent Smith sang a song or two with Three Days Grace.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #5
rocknrolldude43
UG's Spy Fox

Huge TDG fan here, so this news hit me like ton of bricks as well- Adam had one of the most stellar voices in modern rock, which coupled with his songwriting was undoubtedly the biggest factor of TDG's sound. I'm also going to be seeing them next month (and I'm even more gutted by the fact that my first TDG concert will be without Adam ).

I agree with Tremonti Addict- Adam should've at least stayed on for the tour- like what happened when My Darkest Days parted ways with guitarist Sal Costa last week. Sal revealed in an interview that he had actually left the band in October, but stayed on board for the remainder of their tour schedule because he didn't want the fans who paid good money to feel betrayed if they didn't see him on stage with the rest of the band (not to mention he didn't want the other guys to be left high and dry if they still had shows booked).

Why Adam didn't wait until after this tour to go out, we'll probably never know, but I have no inclination to judge him for it. As for Matt, I thought he sounded good on The High Road and Chalk Outline, but on the other hand his voice doesn't fit Riot at all (and this is coming from someone who is a fan of both TDG and MDD). However, I still plan on having fun at the concert, but it just won't be the same without Adam
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 : 01-12-2013 at 01:02 AM.
rocknrolldude43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

It sucks that Adam left, but if it's what he needs to do then it's what he needs to do.

I'm upset primarily at them getting Matt Walst on board. Hearing him on Chalk Outline and Riot was horrible and just...just...ew.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
-Retro-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
It sucks that Adam left, but if it's what he needs to do then it's what he needs to do.

I'm upset primarily at them getting Matt Walst on board. Hearing him on Chalk Outline and Riot was horrible and just...just...ew.

That's my feelings exactly. Matt Walst on Chalk Outline for the first lyrics wasn't bad, but when he breaks out into the chorus he hits that high, almost raspy voice that really bothers me and is even worse on Riot. Walst on Riot was just...unbearable.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
Dj_Jerome

I really cant believe that Adam Gontier left.. But Matt Walst is still a good singer!
Dj_Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
rocknrolldude43
UG's Spy Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Jerome
I really cant believe that Adam Gontier left.. But Matt Walst is still a good singer!

Agreed, I miss Adam as much as the next person but Matt still did a fantastic job when I saw them last week (as for the three songs he laid vocals on prior to the tour, I thought he sounded MUCH better on them live, which I was kind of anticipating since I had already seen MDD live twice), not to mention he had no trouble at all getting the crowd pumped up. He did dye his hair black though, not sure if he was trying to copy Adam (whose hair is also black) that way or what...
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

rocknrolldude43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
Adam808
I Wanna Be Sedated

Wow, this is a shocker. I am a huge fan of the band. I always thought they had a great sound, largely due to Adam's voice. Replacing a lead singer is a lot harder to do than say replace a guitarist or drummer or what not. Lots of bands evolve over time. It will be interesting to see how TDG moves forward. I wish Adam the best, I'm sure he has good reasons to leave.

I remember seeing them live with Seether and Econoline Crush, deadly show.

Rate This Thread: