Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
vivalaheerey

Help with this mix!

Hey guys, I've been tackling with this song for weeks and weeks on end, even resorting from changing from the POD Pro to a DI signal just so I can be more flexible, but tonight I've had the last straw with this song.
I've been mixing for a few years now, and my previous work has always been given very good credit by the users of this site, as everything within my song's is well balanced, beefy and just good to the ear. However the guitars on this track are KILLING me. I can't make them smooth, and clear, despite using the same equipment i have used for the past few years.

The rhythm guitars are done by a les paul and are being DI'd in my laptop and into amplitube, where I'm using a peavey 5150 sim and a SLO 100 sim. I bypass the cabs and use guitar hacks Sneap mic placement, as I have always done, as I like the way the sneap cab sounds. Unusually, I've REALLY struggled to get a good tone out of amplitube, the treble, gain and presence are all between 2-4, otherwise it's too fizzy.

I've now got to the stage where I am trying to blend the guitars with the bass and drums. Normally, I can just dial in a tone into the amp sim, and it just 'sits' in the mix perfectly, but this time, it's just won't. I've been battling the guitars with EQ, and I'm getting no where.

When i first started out, I was given a lot of guidance from this site and users on here have given me a great deal of knowledge and tips, so I'm hoping again for some help with this!

Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehtzg5jjen122ab/Thorns.mp3

I would be IMMENSLY grateful if someone can point out where/what I'm doing wrong.

I don't know whether this has anything to do with it, but I've recently upgraded to Logic X? all my previous work was in 32 bit mode and now is in 64 bit. I shouldn't think it should matter....

Again thanks guys
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
vivalaheerey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
dannycasevnx

Alright, so I've had a quick listen.

The first thing that stands out to me is how the levels are all over the place. Flip your mix into mono and use the faders to get the levels right, then when you switch back into stereo everything should sound much more even. Also it sounds like some of the guitars are panned in the center or at least close to it. Try hard panning them left and right, this'll leave room in the center for kick, bass and vocals.

I think the kick drum could do with some more low end, but that's a personal opinion. Also the snare is quite flat. Try adding some 4-5k and some parallel compression with a low threshold, attack time of 20-30ms and a quick release time.

As for the guitar tone, I think it sounds quite good. Not too fizzy and to my ears is quite smooth sounding, I wouldn't worry too much about the tone.

Once you've balanced the instruments out a bit better I think the mix will sound much better.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
BananaJoe

your volume leves and panning are really crazy, you better fix that before thinking about EQ
BananaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
vivalaheerey

Yeah the levels are rough and i was going to fix them after, just whenever i listened back to the guitars, they sounded dreadful, a mix has never sounded this 'bad' at this stage of mixing for me. I'll carry on mixing i guess and see how turns out. All guitars are panned left and right minus a few leads cos we wanted the lead guitar to be moving constantly.

i'll mix more later and see how it goes
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
vivalaheerey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaheerey
we wanted the lead guitar to be moving constantly.

Why?

I mean, if you went to see a live band play and the lead guitar player's amp was constantly moving around the stage, wouldn't you find that distracting?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

^ Depends... if it was being remote-controlled, and driven around the band members onstage, that would be amazing and mesmerizing

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

^

I stand corrected.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: