Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
zuhairreza

Self taught guitarist w/o any music lesson, seeks soloing over diff. chords lesson!!!

I'll keep this short and to the point, how about that? I've been playing electric guitar since April of 2009, I am into hard rock, heavy metal and thrash metal music mostly and I never had any formal music lesson, classes, teacher or anything.

If you want to get an idea of my current guitar playing level, then I have the link to my Youtube channel below where I post my guitar covers.

Anyway, I am looking for a link, article, website or webpage, or anything similar which can help me comprehend how to solo over chords, and specific chord changes. I know bits and pieces of it already, but I want to make my understanding "whole" and "clear" and so want to do it correctly from the beginning. A beginner-suited lesson on this would be very much appreciated!

Take care and thanks!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/zuhairreza41

... and feel free to add me on Facebook if you're a musician at all:

https://www.facebook.com/zuhairreza1991

zuhairreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Check the music theory link in my sig.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuhairreza

I'll keep this short and to the point, how about that? I've been playing electric guitar since April of 2009, I am into hard rock, heavy metal and thrash metal music mostly and I never had any formal music lesson, classes, teacher or anything.

If you want to get an idea of my current guitar playing level, then I have the link to my Youtube channel below where I post my guitar covers.

Anyway, I am looking for a link, article, website or webpage, or anything similar which can help me comprehend how to solo over chords, and specific chord changes. I know bits and pieces of it already, but I want to make my understanding "whole" and "clear" and so want to do it correctly from the beginning. A beginner-suited lesson on this would be very much appreciated!

Take care and thanks!!!

It would benefit you greatly to immerse yourself in listening to the great improvisers in jazz. Literally. If you don't have a context in your head, for that type of expression, you will find it difficult to create a language of your own. It would be like a toddler in the beginning stages of speaking, communicating, never having sat in the company of speaking adults. (Not comparing YOU to a toddler, but the process of learning this is similar).

Immersing yourself is not the only step.

You need to take some serious steps toward understanding a few concepts:

A) chords and their makeup

Basic triads, seventh chords, extended harmony, altered dominants

B) extending those concepts across the fretboard

Relating scales to chords, chord tones all over the fretboard (arpeggios, intervallic relationships)

C) understanding chords indivually and within the context of progressions
( ii V I's, I IV V's )

Check out this site below, in the link, and get some play along CDs. Those CDs come with books that have a huge amount of info on the subject upon which they focus.

http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/mercha...ory_Code=AEBPLA

You don't have to start on the most difficult chord changes. Begin with blues, which is based on each chord being dominant. When truly playing over each chord in that context, you would need to express each one with its own unique modal system.

Example: if playing a blues in G, the chords would be G7, C7 and D7.
G7 is the V of C, you'd use the C major modal system. C7 is the V of F, you'd use the F major modal system. D7 is the V of G, you'd use the G major modal system.

This guy has some great stuff on his site:

http://www.mattwarnockguitar.com/

Good luck!

Last edited by Scott Jones : 01-17-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Scott Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Hail
kill both bass players

transcribe your goddamned balls off, particularly vocal/horn-driven melodies.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
transcribe your goddamned balls off, particularly vocal/horn-driven melodies.

Indeed.
Scott Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuhairreza

The internet is great at providing a lot of free stuff, but "whole" and "clear" not so much.

If you really want to do it right, start from the beginning, etc, I'd probably get this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Soloin...=guitar+soloing

Yup. It's a book. Gonna cost you ten bucks. But it's better than what you'll find for free online.
HotspurJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jones
Indeed.

i'm far from the most eloquent poster in a given thread, but i'm certainly always the most right
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
zuhairreza

Thanks guys, I'll check all those out!

http://www.youtube.com/user/zuhairreza41

... and feel free to add me on Facebook if you're a musician at all:

https://www.facebook.com/zuhairreza1991

zuhairreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle

Yeah, listen to a lot of jazz improvisators. I particularly like finding videos from live performances (or actually going in person) and just listening to their particular style of phrasing, dynamics, and articulation, and write down (or make a mental note of) anything that pops up to you. Afterwards, concentrate on what you you hear in your practice time, and just have fun with it. The only way to get better at improv is to fall flat on your face, pick yourself up, and keep on truckin'. Then repeat steps one through three as many times as necessary until you get the hang of it.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
show
Mister A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: