Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
Sy_B
The Essence of Is

Guitar stands

Hi, not sure if this is the place to ask but I've been keeping my guitar in its case for awhile and realizing this is helping me to play it less. Out of sight out of mind. So I coughed up 20 bucks at guitar center to buy a guitar stand I could always keep next to me. Now I have it set up to my computer and amp all the time. Some questions though.

The stand I got, the guy simply took out of a giant box of parts and assembled it. There was no box it came in or anything. He also never warned me about the nitrocellulose issue of the foam, which I already knew from online.

It's one of these.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/FretRes...818-i1167038.gc

He also never gave me a rubber strap thing but I don't really care or need it. I just wanted a stand quickly.

The bottom resting thing has absolutely no resistance as far as twisting. It'll wobble back and forth. Is that normal? It's fine when the weight of the guitar is on there keeping it in place, but it's somewhat crooked too, and I want to know if this is bad for the guitar.

Also, in general, how is putting it in this stand (where it sits and leans on the upper neck rest) different from leaning it against something stable? Will this warp the neck?

As for the foam, I've covered it in old clean socks and paper towels just in case.

And the back leg is the weakness here, one simple push from the back, or since we're in LA, earthquake could topple it. So I attached a gallon of bottled water there to weigh it down.

My ghetto guitar stand is safely in the corner against a wall where no-one will walk.

Thanks!
Sy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:03 AM   #2
socrfb

I've been using that same stand for over a year now and I haven't had any problems with it. You may want the strap thing or something else there because the purpose of it is to keep the guitar from falling off if it gets bumped. A hard enough bump could tip the guitar over, but it'll take a little more for the guitar to cause the stand to tip over.

As for the stand itself tipping over from being bumped, I don't think I've had to deal with that fortunately, which is surprising considering the only spot next to it is right next to the door, so I do I have be careful when I step into the room with the lights off. Luckily, I always put the stand in almost the exact same spot so I know not to step too far to the left (where the stand is) when I walk into the room.

Last edited by socrfb : 01-30-2013 at 04:07 AM.
socrfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
Sy_B
The Essence of Is

Hey Socrfb thanks for the quick reply. It's in a corner where you'd have to make a great deal of effort to get to unless you're me, so I'm not too worried over it being bumped. And I tested it a bit, guitar won't fall out (it's leaning back a bit) unless the stand falls first, and that's what the gallon of water is for.

Even in the slightest chance it does fall, it's aiming at a big fluffy blanket. I was mostly worried about the possibility of warping, and if the flimsyness of the stand was normal.

I suppose I could tie a string around the top :P

Last edited by Sy_B : 01-30-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Sy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
socrfb

If you want to make it more ghetto a string would indeed work.

I should have mentioned the wobbling and warping concern in more detail. The bottom rest on mine is loose too, but I haven't had any problems with it affecting my guitars over the course of a year and most of the time it is a little crooked. There hasn't been any warping either.
socrfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:33 AM   #5
Alucard817

I have been using stands like that for nearly a decade. I have never had a single guitar or bass tip over or damaged in any way. I think most stands have foam and not rubber, so they are safe with nitro finishes. I would wait for one of the gurus here to confirm that though.

As far as tipping goes. The way the stand is designed makes it so you have to use a bit of effort to tip them over. The "fork" that holds the guitar is supposed to be loose so it will automatically twist/turn to accommodate any guitar shape.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
I have been using stands like that for nearly a decade. I have never had a single guitar or bass tip over or damaged in any way. I think most stands have foam and not rubber, so they are safe with nitro finishes. I would wait for one of the gurus here to confirm that though.

You're correct. It's rubbers that tend to stain the finish, but foam is usually fine.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Silver Hilton
Old enough

I have four of the guitar center stands, all holding guitars. I have had Gibsons in the stands from time to time, and there has been no damage to the nitro-cellulose finish. The poly finish on most guitars is very stable and durable, so no concern there. My buddy and guitar teacher also use them for long term guitar storage, and none of us have had any problems.

The only risk to a stand is that if people or critters bumble into them, they can be knocked over.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Silver Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: