Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Uncle Manwich

Speaker recommendations!

Greetings to all you fine folks on the forums! Yes, I've finally come to ask for some speaker recommendations!

For a while now I've been using a Traynor YCV40WR which I truly love, however I am not too fond of the Celestion Vintage 30 that came with it. I always appear to have a brittle top end, a spike in the midrange and a lack of bass when I play at band volumes. If I try to get a full low end, it becomes too muddy. Whenever I try to get a clear top end, it get becomes ice picky and thin. It's time to mix things up!

From what I've heard the Eminence Cannabis Rex may just be what the doctor ordered but due to my lack of experience with speakers, I'm not sure what to think.

As for tonal references, some of my favorite guitarists are Mike McCready, Stevie Ray Vaughan, David Gilmour etc.

My rig, to help you get an idea of what I could enjoy:

MIA Stratocaster w/Custom Shop Fat 50's Pickups -> Korg Pitch Black tuner -> Maxon OD-9 -> Traynor YCV40WR ----FX loop send----> TC Electronic Flashback Delay -> TC Electronic Hall Of Fame Reverb -> Fulltone Fat Boost 3 ----FX loop return----> Traynor YCV40WR.

Any speaker recommendations? I'm also welcome to any bits of wisdom you have to offer!

Cheers.

Last edited by Uncle Manwich : 10-05-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Uncle Manwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Bidley
The Humble Man

The Classic Lead 80 is a nice speaker. I use one in my 2x12 paired with a V30, and they work well together. The CL80 has a nice smooth mid range with a balanced top end and even bottom.

I also have a Marshall MF400 cab which has K100's in, and they sound pretty awesome too, full bottom end on tap! Less character than CL80s and V30s though.
Bidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

I'd consider adding a closed back extension cab with something like a G12 75. Those are said to fill in with a v30 nicely and the close back will give you the punch in the bass you want.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
DellsBells

How about ASW KTS70's?
DellsBells is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: