Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
TNA

Solo Project

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on writing and recording a solo project. It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time, but I'm having trouble actually bringing it all together. I can play all the instruments, I can record myself. But it's more of a structural problem. Like I'll write a cool riff, but then have trouble with transitions, or writing a good chorus that I could write lyrics to. Or maybe I should write lyrics first? It seems easier to write with a band because everyone is only responsible for their own parts, and you can just jam it out. Or is it easier to start on bass first, or drums?
TNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

I start with a vocal melody and some simple chords. I'll spin that vocal melody into some lyrics, or I'll spin a lyric into a simple vocal melody.

Gradually, the simple chords become more fleshed-out guitar arrangements, and the drums and bass kinda suggest themselves from there.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Personally, I take a bit of a top-down approach. I start with lyrics and the melody (one seems to suggest the other, usually), then figure out what key it's in and get a chord progression. From there, as chris says, the drums and bass just kinda fill themselves in.

Solos, etc. are usually the last to happen regardless.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #4
Myshadow46_2
Join the pack.

Also, a solo project doesn't have to be a solo project! If you can get the bare bones of a track down (e.g. song structure with chord chart + lyrics\vocal arrangement) you can get other musicians in to help bring the songs to life. A lot of solo artists work like this.
Myshadow46_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: