Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
Mhara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
Do you know how to intonate your guitar and change the action?

No I don't. How would you do that?
Mhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #22
T00DEEPBLUE
UG's Towel

Location: Where people steal things and call cigarettes, 'Ciggys'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhara

How that is done depends on what sort of bridge you have, but the principle is basically the same.

(´・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
sounds more nasal than jack sniffing an ass
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
Simple Jack
Acoustics = top kindling

Quote:
Originally Posted by almudjk
Mat Bellamy from Muse uses a seven string for that reason. He uses that AEADGBE tuning.

Also I would recommend a .56 gauge string for the low A

No way. Far too light a gauge. You need way thicker than this for Drop A. Come to think of it what strings are you using? And on what guitar?

DR Strings does a range called DDT which is specifically for detuning six strings. Check em out. There are other companies that produce string packs for detuning, can't think of any tho.

I haven't had a lot of experience with seven strings, altho am waiting on delivery of a new one now. The market has come a long way since the '90s and there are now seven string guitars for every budget. ESP's Ltd brand is doing marvelous things for under $1000, and Ibanez have been doing this for ages. I guess one advantage of some seven strings is they have longer scale necks (generally 26.5 inches and up). This means greater string tension and less floppy strings. That said, many are still made with a six string friendly 25.5" neck.

For what it's worth, the ESP Ltd EC-407 and H1007 were standouts for me for under a grand, and Ltd also does an entry level seven string with a sick Explorer body (EX model from memory?). Also if you live in the US, Agile is a lesser known brand that reportedly makes stunning cheap axes (but also offers no warranty to guitars sold outside the US).
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
Simple Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #24
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:

Here are the guides on how to do it from this site:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=602241

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=614226

If you follow the first(or second, if you have a Floyd) then that should help the sound and feel of your strings. I strongly recommend trying it on your guitar before you make any big purchases.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #25
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACS
If you're just going to play metal in drop A, stay with your six, but set it up properly for the tuning. Thicker strings for sure, and maybe adjust the truss bar a touch if need be.

The problem is, 6 strings are NOT designed for Drop A. I would get a 7 string. One thing you should practice (especially since you're not just gonna be doing Djent style chugs [what I now call "the stupid chug-a-lug"]), TS, is playing chords like Amajor/minor and other chords. The point is you now have a different set of bass notes; utilize that.

On a 7 string tuned to Drop A, for instance, A major is:
Code:
E-0---5- B-2---5- G-2---6- D-2---7- A-0---7- E-0---5- A-0---0-

There's 2 shapes for Amajor for you.

Work out the shapes/positions/inversions/etc. of other chords. This will give you more options than just doing the stupid chug-a-lug.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 05-15-2013 at 12:13 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #26
T00DEEPBLUE
UG's Towel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
The problem is, 6 strings are NOT designed for Drop A.

Baritones?

(´・ω・`)

Quote:
Old 05-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #27
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Baritones?

Yes, but unless TS already owns a baritone guitar, he'd still have to buy a new guitar...

I wouldn't tune a regular 6-string to Drop A.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #28
T00DEEPBLUE
UG's Towel

Why not? If you have a string gauge that's heavy enough, you should be fine.

(´・ω・`)

Quote:
Old 05-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #29
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

I imagine that a lot of the problems he's facing has to do with him not knowing how to set up the guitar and going back and forth with tunings so much. I mean, the guy is tuning from E Standard(Unless it's actually B standard) to Drop-A without knowing how to intonate it. I think he should lay off spending money on new guitars and just work on learning how the guitar works first.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #30
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Why not? If you have a string gauge that's heavy enough, you should be fine.

Because of the scale length, you may have a harder time with it. Baritones have a longer scale length, which allows them to be more easily tuned to lower registers (such as Drop A [AEADGB]). Most regular 6-string guitars have a scale length in the range of 24 to 25.5 That makes it harder to deal with tunings as low as Drop A. 7-strings are built to compensate for this.

Quote:
I imagine that a lot of the problems he's facing has to do with him not knowing how to set up the guitar and going back and forth with tunings so much. I mean, the guy is tuning from E Standard(Unless it's actually B standard) to Drop-A without knowing how to intonate it. I think he should lay off spending money on new guitars and just work on learning how the guitar works first.

This is a very valid point. Proper intonation is key. After all, who cares if you can tune to Drop A (and do everything else right), but forget about the intonation?

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 05-15-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #31
Mhara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Jack
No way. Far too light a gauge. You need way thicker than this for Drop A. Come to think of it what strings are you using? And on what guitar?

DR Strings does a range called DDT which is specifically for detuning six strings. Check em out. There are other companies that produce string packs for detuning, can't think of any tho.

I haven't had a lot of experience with seven strings, altho am waiting on delivery of a new one now. The market has come a long way since the '90s and there are now seven string guitars for every budget. ESP's Ltd brand is doing marvelous things for under $1000, and Ibanez have been doing this for ages. I guess one advantage of some seven strings is they have longer scale necks (generally 26.5 inches and up). This means greater string tension and less floppy strings. That said, many are still made with a six string friendly 25.5" neck.

For what it's worth, the ESP Ltd EC-407 and H1007 were standouts for me for under a grand, and Ltd also does an entry level seven string with a sick Explorer body (EX model from memory?). Also if you live in the US, Agile is a lesser known brand that reportedly makes stunning cheap axes (but also offers no warranty to guitars sold outside the US).

Nice! I actually used (http://www.ernieball.com/products/e...ky-nickel-wound) for my 6 string. My guitar was actually not all that great. It's one of those Yamaha RGX's lol....I know. But It's got me through a lot. I think the problem was actually my guitar. I have a decent amount of money, so that's why I'm trying to buy a new one. I know all about Ibanez, ESP and Schecter's though. Thanks for your suggestions though. I'll look into it!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #32
Mhara

Quote:
Here are the guides on how to do it from this site:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=602241

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=614226

If you follow the first(or second, if you have a Floyd) then that should help the sound and feel of your strings. I strongly recommend trying it on your guitar before you make any big purchases.

Thanks a lot for that.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #33
Mister A.J.
Fallacious Purple

I'd get a seven. To go one step further, I'd get a Carvin seven, but I like to play favorites. :P

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
show
Mister A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #34
dspellman

Quote:
Okay well...I'm planning on buying a new guitar soon. I already have a 6 string and most of the music I play is in Drop A tuning. I know it's my guitar, but when I tune my strings from Standard to (A E A D F# B), my strings are very loose and the sound isn't great. I even changed my strings to a different gauge and they're still really loose. I don't know what the problem is because I've seen people play in Drop A tuning on a 6 string...

So what I'm thinking is to just buy a 7 string guitar since I can just tune the low B, 2 half steps down to A so it'd be (AEADGBE). I'm just wondering what the major differences are since Drop A on a 7 string is pretty much standard E tuning on a 6 string, with A as the 7th string. I'm thinking playing on a 7 string will be a lot better (tighter strings, better sound, extended range), im not completely sure though.

Sorry if I asked a stupid question :\ I'm just curious.

Better options:

One, get a guitar with a much longer scale. Try one with a 27" scale (this one, for example, may look like a standard LP type guitar, but it's a 27" scale with 24 frets. You can run it with standard gauge strings tuned to standard or with thicker strings tuned much lower:

There are a lot of 28" scale guitars (anything with 28" or beyond is considered a baritone).

Two, get a longer scale/multi-string guitar. 7's and 8's work just as well and give you some interesting options if you're on the upper frets and need to get lower than you could ordinarily. Great for arpeggios that need to cover a lot of ground.

Three, buy a Variax.

The JTV 89F, for example, has a 25.5" scale and a Floyd (you can get it in hardtail as well), 24 frets and a 16" radius. If you're using the built-in modeling, you have a choice of something like 28 or 29 different guitar models (including acoustics, Jazz boxes, resonators, teles, LPs, Strats, ES 335s, etc.). But in addition to all of that, you have the ability to change to alternate tunings (using the pitch change technology) instantly, with no change in tension in the strings. Several are built in, including several drop tunings down to Bb, and standard tunings down to B, but you can actually tune down as low as a full octave (bass range) on each string with no issues. And you can program your own into the system so they're instantly accessible.
  • Model. Access the alternate tunings you created using Variax Workbench™, Line 6′s virtual guitar workbench software.
  • Standard (E A D G B E). By far the most popular tuning on a 6-string guitar.
  • Drop D (D A D G B E). The low E string is dropped down a full step from Standard tuning. This popular tuning has been used by bands and artists such as Rage Against the Machine, Soundgarden, Pantera and even The Beatles on "Dear Prudence."
  • 1/2 Down (Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb). Each string is tuned down one half step compared to Standard tuning. Some of the greatest guitarists of all time, including Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn, played almost exclusively 1/2 Down.
  • Drop Db (Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb). Compared to Drop D, every string is dropped an additional half step. This tuning was made famous by Eddie Van Halen on the 1981 song, "Unchained,” and popularized by bands such as Nirvana on their In Utero album, Evanescence, Linkin Park, System of a Down and more.
  • 1 Down (D G C F A D). This tuning is one full step down from Standard, and used by artists and bands including Elliot Smith, John Fogerty and Shadows Fall. You can also find it on Nirvana's "Come as You Are," "Lithium" and "Drain You," as well as Metallica’s "Sad but True" and "Devil's Dance.”
  • Drop C (C G C F A D). Drop C is like a standard D tuning, with a dropped C for a more brutal sound. It’s popular with a wide variety of rock and metal bands including Carcass, Metallica, System of a Down and more.
  • m3 DOWN (Db Gb B E Ab Db). Compared to Standard tuning, all the strings are tuned down by three half steps. This tuning can be found on songs by Black Sabbath and others.
  • Drop B (B F# B E G# C#). This tuning is one and one half steps down from Drop D, and has been used by heavy metal bands such as Slayer, Slipknot and Tool.
  • M3 Down (C F Bb Eb G C). This tuning is a major third lower than Standard tuning. You can find it on “No One Knows” and other Queens of the Stone Age tracks, as well as songs by The Misfits and more.
  • Drop Bb (Bb F Bb Eb G C). Two full steps down from Drop D, this tuning is used by artists including Static-X, Bring Me the Horizon, Spineshank and Sevendust.
  • Baritone (B E A D F# B). This tuning is popular with a variety of hard rock and metal bands, from the Foo Fighters to Carcass.

Last edited by dspellman : 05-16-2013 at 03:09 PM.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: