User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
K1t
lo-fi high-life

Intermediate guitar/amp

Hey guys, I'm new here so please be kind

I used to play guitar when I was younger, I played for about ~8 years but only sort of picked it up once a week (I learnt classical guitar at school) but I eventually got an electric (a shitty ibanez GIO from china) which I reallly enjoyed. However I had highschool and study and shit and I sort of gave it up as I had less time on my hands. Now I'm looking to get back into it and I need to pick up some new gear since my old stuff was given away.

I know the general advice is play on everything and see what you like best. I do agree with this 100%, but I'm more just looking at what direction I should be looking at and what gear is in my price range. My budget is about ~$1.5k AUD all up (could possibly stretch it to 2k if there is somewhat of a huge jump in gear quality or something for a few extra dollars)

I play a bit of everything, from jazz to metal to blues to rock. I probably perfer guitars that have a good metal sound though. My preference for brand is probably jackson or ESP.

So basically my question is, what are my options? I know amp is a lot more important for sound, but also I should note half the time I'm messing around on my guitar it will probably be on Amps at work (I work at a nightclub and the sound/lighting tech is a total bro) where we have concert grade gear.

So with all that in mind, what do you guys recommend? I appreciate any help or direction you guys want to point me in.
K1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

I have NO idea about Australian prices go (I heard they're pretty brutal...) But a Jackson X series and a Peavey 6505 would be lovely.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
ibacred
Plays the Geetar

Is the whole budget for a guitar/amp/effects or is it just the guitar? If it's both, I'd look into an Ibanez S series guitar or an ltd m-mh guitar, then find an amp.

We could give you better suggestions if you could describe what you want more. Any guitar can have a 'good metal sound'. Do you want a floyd rose? Do pickups matter (active/passive, and I'm assuming you'd want humbuckers)? Any body shape, or something similar to your gio?

Since you have access to amps at work, would you just want something like a pod for your house?(hooks up to your computer, or you can just use headphones)

Carvin Bolt Classic
LTD EC 1000
Parker PDF100
HD500 pod
ibacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
K1t
lo-fi high-life

Thanks for the fast responces guys. In terms of pickup arrangements, I'm not too fussed but if possible I would like a H/S/S since that's kind of what I'm in to. That being said, I'm completely fine with 2 humbuckers aswell.

And yes, Ideally my budget is for guitar/amp aswell. But like I said, if I have to skimp I would rather skimp on the amp since I'll only be playing it at home not at work (I hang out after work for about 3-4 hours every night with my friends anyway)
Old 12-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz

Consider these quality instruments:

Fret-King Super Hybrid: a HSH guitar that, unusually, does not have a tremolo.

Godin Velocity or Progression Boutique: both are HSS, but the Velocity is the higher-end guitar. It was discontinued in 2011, but new ones are still available, and pristine used ones can be had for $450 USD.

Godin Freeway: HSH with trem

Fernandes Ravelle, Dragonfly or Revolver: all HH guitars with slightly different features, aesthetics and ergonomics. Available with a sustainer.

DBZ: most of their line is HH, and Dean Z likes to design guitars with the shredder in mind.

Malden Bad Karma: a HH LP-style guitar with (as I recall) independently splittable coils.

Reverend Double Agent: bridge HB and a P90 in the neck, korina body

Reverend Reeves Gabrels Sig II: korina body, 2 Railhammer Chisel pickups

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
dannyalcatraz

On the amp front, if you must skimp, skimp on power, not quality.

Given you want to play metal, rock, my first instinct would be a small Orange combo.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
K1t
lo-fi high-life

Hey guys, been doing a bit of a look around at a few local stores and I'm thinking about getting a Peavey Vypyr and an ESP ltd M-300FM (love the feel of it). Anything inherently wrong with this set up? my only other question is, what size amp should I get? 30 or 75?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
dannyalcatraz

30w should cover everything from bedroom to small gigs with no problems.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
K1t
lo-fi high-life

Hey guys, small update since I didn't want to make another thread about this topic. I've already bought the vypyr 30w which I LOVE (thanks for the recommendation) and I'm just messing around on it with my brothers' GIO. I still havn't gotten a guitar yet as I was looking at the M-300FM which was very appealing but I'm starting to think maybe I should invest a little more $$ in and get something that will last me longer in the long run. I'm thinking about possibly trying to pick up an ESP Eclipse 2 2nd hand (there are a few in my area) which will cost me ~$1400 (the M-300FM is ~$900 in my area new). Do you think this would be smarter in the long run? Or am I looking at things out of my league? To be honest I would rather just get one GOOD guitar and spend the next few years upgrading my amps, ect.

please offer some insight! much appriciated
Old 12-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Go for the used ESP over the LTD. Definitely.

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: