Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #1
cooder_bob

Electric at an Acoustic Show?

Howdy, all! Here's my dilemma:

I'm the lead guitarist in a 4-piece red dirt/Texas country band that's just getting our start. So far we've only had two real gigs, the first of which I shouldn't even count (there were more people working the event than actually came out - never working with THAT promoter again). Now, our singer/frontman booked us for an acoustic show at a birthday party.

However, I do not own an acoustic/electric guitar, just an old Alvarez that I don't necessarily have the funds to put a decent pickup system in. My question is would it be a sin to bring my Tele and play it at this show? Or should I find a way to mic up my acoustic?

I'm also going to take this opportunity to make a shameless plug:
Follow our band on Facebook by liking Ricky and the Rhinestones
Twitter: @RickyRhinestone
We don't have any songs uploaded or even a demo as of yet, but we have everything we need to make one - shouldn't be long before we have one.
cooder_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
Pyrotechie

Well if you're lead, then that should be fine. Test it out, record a jam and see how it goes. Besides, I see a lot of country bands with electric leads. Warm solos are just incredible.

Make sure your lead doesn't overpower the acoustic though, I've had quite a few bad experiences with that haha
Pyrotechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 AM   #3
AndyGray
UG Addict

I think most people wouldn't mind 'acoustic' show being plugged in. So long as there isn't a full drum kit bashing harshy in the background & you're not playing power metal. Should work fine. Just make sure you're not very loud.

Try recording a session on your phone at the other side of the room. It should give a good indication of levels.
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:05 AM   #4
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

If there are drums and bass electric is fine. If its just you and a singer beware, electric guitars can sound like trash without bass and drums. If you are just strumming along it sounds like crap compared to an acoustic.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
jumpaside

Why not plug in a tele clean and do it that way. Unless you got a nice system available to mic your acoustic. But leads do sound better on an electric most of the time.
jumpaside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
If there are drums and bass electric is fine. If its just you and a singer beware, electric guitars can sound like trash without bass and drums. If you are just strumming along it sounds like crap compared to an acoustic.
Boy, am I glad you're the one that posted that. I said something to the effect of, "acoustic always sounds better solo", in "Electric Guitar". I had to wade through pages of hostility, videos of jazz experts playing a clean Tele, yadda, yadda, yadda..... I guess it could be my screen name and my choice of venue that provoked that. What thinkest thou?
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Tombe
Post-Rocker

I'd add that if you're going to play solo electric (and it can work - I point any doubters in the direction of Jeff Buckley) then amplify it through a proper guitar amp, or at least use a POD or something into the PA. I've seen so many singer-songwriters plug an electric straight into the desk and it's sounded absolutely awful - lifeless, scratchy, and a perennial reminder of why most solo artists play acoustic guitars...

FUZZY FLATPICKER σ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Tombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Boy, am I glad you're the one that posted that. I said something to the effect of, "acoustic always sounds better solo", in "Electric Guitar". I had to wade through pages of hostility, videos of jazz experts playing a clean Tele, yadda, yadda, yadda..... I guess it could be my screen name and my choice of venue that provoked that. What thinkest thou?

I think a lot of guitarists don't use their ears.

It can work, but it needs proper arrangement to do so. A lot of guitarists don't bother with the arrangement and it sounds like trash.

Rate This Thread: