Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
PRS_Zombie

PRS Pickup upgrading.

Hello all

I about to upgrade my pickups on my PRS SE Standard, the original standard PRS pickups that were in the guitar are showing a bit of age now.

I'm looking to fit Seymore Duncan Invader SH-8 but I'm needing more advice on what would give me the best sound and at the same time not be a crime to put into my PRS, a guy at my local guitar shop was trying to sell me some EMG'S but I don't want anything like that for my PRS

The sound I'm trying to achieve would be similar to Mark Morton and Michael Amott but I am open to another suggestions
PRS_Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
james4

As a personal opinion, you'd be better off with EMGs than you would with invaders.. EMGs are criticized for their more sterile tone, but they're pretty flexible and wouldn't have a problem getting you the tone you want (depending on your amp/other gear). By that I mostly mean that they don't have much character, but you can tweak the tonal elements more freely

Whereas invaders are generally looked down on because of their super dark tone that can often get muddy...which is a harder thing to compensate for

if you're after a tone like Mark Morton, why not look at DiMarzio Dominions? they're what he uses, though I can't really give much input on them since I haven't played with them myself

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
james4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
PRS_Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4
As a personal opinion, you'd be better off with EMGs than you would with invaders.. EMGs are criticized for their more sterile tone, but they're pretty flexible and wouldn't have a problem getting you the tone you want (depending on your amp/other gear). By that I mostly mean that they don't have much character, but you can tweak the tonal elements more freely

Whereas invaders are generally looked down on because of their super dark tone that can often get muddy...which is a harder thing to compensate for

if you're after a tone like Mark Morton, why not look at DiMarzio Dominions? they're what he uses, though I can't really give much input on them since I haven't played with them myself

Thanks for the the advice I've not been a 100% keen on EMGs a guitarist we who was once in our band had some in a ESP Explore thing and I could get on with the sound,but Ill start doing some sound tests at my local store when I have a chance most there guitars have EMGs fitted.

I have seen Mark Morton using DiMarzio pick ups but I also noticed that he uses Seymore's to, I was given a Seymore Duncan Bridge AH1B Blackout pickup that I was saving for my Jackson once I can get hold of the Neck pickup would that be a good choice to fit into the PRS? or is that stepping more towards a Dino Cazares tone ?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
james4

if you're looking at blackouts, they're sort of in a similar realm as EMGs, so I'd sort of say the same thing about them-- that they leave a bit more room for tone shaping in the rest of your rig

what amp are you using by the way?

And yeah, I think before dimarzio started making Morton a signature pickup (the dominion), he had a seymour duncan 59/jazz set. Which is also a really solid choice. I've got a JB/59 set in my Jackson Dinky, which is kinda a slightly higher gain version of his

The tricky thing about making a call on pickups is that there's so much personal taste and so many options involved that it's really easy to get caught up in nit-picking..once you've tried out a few I think it's just best to commit to a set and work on getting a tone you like with them

again, a lot of this is just personal opinion, but take what you will from it

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
james4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
PRS_Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4
if you're looking at blackouts, they're sort of in a similar realm as EMGs, so I'd sort of say the same thing about them-- that they leave a bit more room for tone shaping in the rest of your rig

what amp are you using by the way?

And yeah, I think before dimarzio started making Morton a signature pickup (the dominion), he had a seymour duncan 59/jazz set. Which is also a really solid choice. I've got a JB/59 set in my Jackson Dinky, which is kinda a slightly higher gain version of his

The tricky thing about making a call on pickups is that there's so much personal taste and so many options involved that it's really easy to get caught up in nit-picking..once you've tried out a few I think it's just best to commit to a set and work on getting a tone you like with them

again, a lot of this is just personal opinion, but take what you will from it

I have been looking at Seymour SH-1n, SH-4 a similar set up that Micheal Amott had or has been using. Ill have a look at the Dominion pickups.

I have a KK signature amp head and Peavey 6505 cab but atm due to starting a new band and taking my amp out of my old bands lock up I'm having to rehearse weekly on a Marshall Jmc 800 and a 1961 cab , I also use a Boss Metal Zone MT-2 with a N2-2 Noise Suppressor.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
PRS_Zombie

I went to my local shop today and I had a go on a couple of guitars fitted with diffident ESP and Seymour pickups, I also had ago on the owners guitar that he had fitted with Bare Knuckle pickups the Painkiller set. They sounded really good so now I'm at a loss here are the 3 sets I'm looking at.

Bare Knuckle

EMG

Seymore Duncan

I had a go on the Devin Townsed guitar which had EMG 60-7 and another 1 had some EMG 81-7 they were nice sounding.

I will prob also get 1 of these 3 fitted to my Jackson as well.

Last edited by PRS_Zombie : 12-08-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Rate This Thread: