User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Scott Jones

Vai's For The Love of God - my interpretation

Track 9 in this set.

http://soundcloud.com/scottjonesmus...focused-tracks/

Not intended to be a note for note copy. I covered the melody, and improvised the solo section within Vai's language and style, but with my own twists.

---------------------

Last edited by Scott Jones : 03-14-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Scott Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
CragDweller

Wow! That was impressive. I hope to be able to express myself like that someday.
CragDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by CragDweller
Wow! That was impressive. I hope to be able to express myself like that someday.

Hey, thanks man!

I appreciate that you listened!

So, where are you at in your playing? How long have you been playing? How old? What do focus on in your practice time?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
CragDweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jones
Hey, thanks man!

I appreciate that you listened!

So, where are you at in your playing? How long have you been playing? How old? What do focus on in your practice time?

I'm 48 and am coming back into playing after 25 years and its been about a year since I started playing again. I retained some knowledge of how to play, but would consider myself a novice right now. I posted some covers in another thread if you want to hear me playing.

Truthfully I haven't been dedicating much time to practice, probably why I'm no closer to playing something like "For The Love Of God" than I was a year ago. I've watched and read a lot, but have really put very little of that into practice to improve my playing. I figure the first step is to learn all the notes on the fretboard once and for all and build a proper foundation to learn on.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by CragDweller
I'm 48 and am coming back into playing after 25 years and its been about a year since I started playing again. I retained some knowledge of how to play, but would consider myself a novice right now. I posted some covers in another thread if you want to hear me playing.

Truthfully I haven't been dedicating much time to practice, probably why I'm no closer to playing something like "For The Love Of God" than I was a year ago. I've watched and read a lot, but have really put very little of that into practice to improve my playing. I figure the first step is to learn all the notes on the fretboard once and for all and build a proper foundation to learn on.

It's never too late to become a great player. Focused time spent, is, indeed THE key. You must ask yourself "how clearly do I want to be able to express myself, and what am I willing to do to achieve that result?"
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
CragDweller

You're absolutely right. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
awesomo41894

Man, I have to say, i've never heard of you be4, but i should have. You are an absolute god on the guitar. Ur version of for the love of god was on par with how vai plays it. Ur phrasing is amazing, everything is great! Simply astonishing, I REALLY loved listening to it. Im definitely going to check out your original stuff. Amazing stuff man. How long have you been playing?

Also, could u maybe check out a video i made, its my take on free form jazz improv, but it might be a tad too odd. Idk. I would love some advice/crit from someone as talented as you!
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1582883
awesomo41894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
bigblockelectra

How do you do the harmonic at 2:08 with the whammy bar? I saw For the Love of God and immediately skipped to that part to see if you included
bigblockelectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:53 AM   #10
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockelectra
How do you do the harmonic at 2:08 with the whammy bar? I saw For the Love of God and immediately skipped to that part to see if you included

Ha! You know, I think I had to overdub that! Too many things going on at that point.

I was really trying to honor certain moments from the original, but do my own thing, too. it's likely I had no choice but to layer that in, from the sound of it.

I did that back in 2005, so my memory is a bit foggy on it, but that's how I likely did it.

Thank you so much for listening!!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo41894
Man, I have to say, i've never heard of you be4, but i should have. You are an absolute god on the guitar. Ur version of for the love of god was on par with how vai plays it. Ur phrasing is amazing, everything is great! Simply astonishing, I REALLY loved listening to it. Im definitely going to check out your original stuff. Amazing stuff man. How long have you been playing?

Also, could u maybe check out a video i made, its my take on free form jazz improv, but it might be a tad too odd. Idk. I would love some advice/crit from someone as talented as you!
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1582883

Wow! Thanks so much man!!

I'm glad you enjoyed the track!

I've been playing for 32 years. (25 years when this track was recorded).

I checked out your video clip and you sound great! I'd recommend doing some heavy listening to the great improvisers like Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Bud Powell, Clifford Brown, Pat Metheny, Scott Henderson, Joe Pass, Allan Holdsworth.....and really get inside their heads, as to the concepts they are using.

Thanks so much for listening!

Rate This Thread: