Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
guitargod123

Replacing the speaker grill on a 5150 III

So I got a pretty good deal on a EVH 5150 III combo. Got it for 960 shipped. The only thing is the speaker grill looks like it was stabbed and their is a quarter sized hole. It stabbed into the wood of the box a little and it exposed some bare wood. I'm just going to paint the wood black in that little spot and once the new speaker grill is on it shouldn't be noticeable. My question is does anybody know or have a guide to replacing it and where I can find the cloth grill? I googled for like half an hour and I didn't have any luck. I see some fender cloths but none look close. So any idea where I can get a replacement one and how much of a hassle is it to replace?
guitargod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
Robbgnarly

Mojotone has lots of different grill cloth.

I'm not sure of what type they use, but you can use what ever type you like.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
gregs1020
Hi mom!

never swapped a grill on that amp (obviously, they're just hitting stores now) but it can be a pita depending on what you have to go through to get the front baffle off.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
guitargod123

Yea, I have no idea where to start. I don't see any screws or anything on the front. I don't know if I have to get in through the back or what.
guitargod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Take some pics? Sounds like whatever shop sold it to you messed up somewhere. This is assuming you didn't buy it used, but I'm not sure it's been out long enough for someone to already sell one.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
riffhog
SLO Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargod123
Yea, I have no idea where to start. I don't see any screws or anything on the front. I don't know if I have to get in through the back or what.

Someone assembled it, so it has to be replaceable. Worst case, call Fender. I'd just start taking stuff apart. Just don't touch anything inside the amp chassis (live capacitors even when unplugged!).
As stated, Mojotone has TONS of tolexes & speaker cloth. They should have something close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
riffhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
Robbgnarly

You have to remove the speakers then remove the baffle from the rear of the amp.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
never swapped a grill on that amp (obviously, they're just hitting stores now) but it can be a pita depending on what you have to go through to get the front baffle off.

I replaced the grill in my mesa 4x12. I had to remove a few thousand staples... Must have a small flat headed screw driver for that. Otherwise it's just time consuming. Don't rush.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: