Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-23-2013, 03:10 AM   #1
radarlover

Did I make a good choice?

I just joined this site trying to get a bit of experienced advice since I have only been playing (or attempting to play) for a couple years. I have a Vox AC30C2X and I wanted to get a matched set of preamp and power tubes. After a look around I settled on Genalex Golden Lion EL84 power tubes and 12AX7 preamp tubes. I liked the sound of quite a few I heard on youtube and just sort of picked one on a hunch. I was wondering from some experienced guitarists if I have made a good choice or not. Tubes are paid for and on the way so I am committed. I just would like some feedback. I know most all tubes are reissues made in another country under very different quality controls so I am not expecting genuine Mullard or Genalex tones just something solid and better than original equipment Chinese Vox tubes. Thanks!
radarlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Yes

Those should be wonderful tubes. The only thing I sometimes recommend is to get several different types of preamp tubes to experiment with - but you'll do just fine. Something to consider maybe for next time.

Welcome to UG GGnA
Old 03-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
ikey_

top notch tubes. i too would recommend only changing preamp / power at a time. or more specifically, 1 preamp tube at a time. it will let you hear the difference that every change makes.

you may find that you like a mix rather than all of 1 brand
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
radarlover

I got the 12AX7's in Saturday and changed out all 3, sorry I didn't look at this thread but there were no replies for a day or so and I thought I was on my own. They definitely are totally different inside with everything being bigger and longer. I know they are reissues but the still looked pretty beefy. I could tell a difference right away with the tone being a little creamier. I don't know if I am getting used to this amp or not but I also feel like the output is down a tad which is not a bad thing since this bastard is really loud for a 30 watt amp. Thanks so much for the input guys, I am thinking when the power tubes in I should change them all at once since they are matched right?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Robbgnarly

Genelex makes some really good tubes, the only modern tubes I would prefer is SED =C= but they don't make preamp tubes or EL84's.
You should be set for yrs to come
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
gumbilicious
beginner

the golden lion tubes are redic expensive, because of this i have yet to play them. but their reputation is pretty high.

personally i would have bought a set of JJ's to save some cash. JJ makes a pretty damn good EL84 when i was buying them a few years back.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
radarlover

They were not too bad all things considered. I got the 3 12AX7's for 106 shipped and about 115 for the matched quad set of EL84's. They seemed to be just a bit more than the JJ's (which I seriously considered) but I had heard really good things about them. I cannot wait to get the power tubes in so I can hear what it all sounds like together.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarlover
They were not too bad all things considered. I got the 3 12AX7's for 106 shipped and about 115 for the matched quad set of EL84's. They seemed to be just a bit more than the JJ's (which I seriously considered) but I had heard really good things about them. I cannot wait to get the power tubes in so I can hear what it all sounds like together.

that is a good deal. i usually see the golden lion el84's go for more like 50 bucks a piece.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
radarlover

I will keep your advice in mind ikey and thanks for the welcome. I troll around over at AGF but that site is almost totally geared towards acoustic and acoustic electric so I needed to get into a site that specializes in electric. I tried jemsite a couple years ago but no one ever answered any of my questions and I was just starting out. hell they would not even answer questions about Ibanez and that's what the site specializes in from what I could tell. Nice to be here!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
radarlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
that is a good deal. i usually see the golden lion el84's go for more like 50 bucks a piece.

cool, I found them on ebay, I got the tubes from two different sites but they did have more for sale. wholetonemusic sold the EL84's and tubemazestore sold the 12AX7's
Old 03-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
the golden lion tubes are redic expensive, because of this i have yet to play them. but their reputation is pretty high.

personally i would have bought a set of JJ's to save some cash. JJ makes a pretty damn good EL84 when i was buying them a few years back.

^ There was a big JJ EL84 QC scare about a year ago - otherwise, I'd agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarlover
I got the 12AX7's in Saturday and changed out all 3, sorry I didn't look at this thread but there were no replies for a day or so and I thought I was on my own. They definitely are totally different inside with everything being bigger and longer. I know they are reissues but the still looked pretty beefy. I could tell a difference right away with the tone being a little creamier. I don't know if I am getting used to this amp or not but I also feel like the output is down a tad which is not a bad thing since this bastard is really loud for a 30 watt amp. Thanks so much for the input guys, I am thinking when the power tubes in I should change them all at once since they are matched right?

Glad to hear it is working out for you. So you have not put the power tubes in yet? Yes, you change them all at once. Yes they should be matched. To fully understand the tonal differences you can go back to just doing one new preamp tube at a time swapping it from position to position to experiment a bit. You may find you actually like one of the older ones in one of the slots. Preamp tubes do not need to be matched you can pretty much do whatever. Anyway, hope that helps and good luck with your quest.

+1 to SED, JJ and the JAN Phillips 5751 (get one of those some day it is a 12AX7 drop in replacement.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 03-24-2013 at 10:05 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
radarlover

no I got them from a different company and they are lagging a day behind in transit. thanks for the advice I will keep it in mind for sure. I don't know how close a regular ac30 can get to a handwired version simply because the former has a tube rectifier and the regular version does not. either way me changing tubes is simply an attempt to make my ac30 as close to the handwired version as possible without the extra coin. probably impossible because of the very specific differences in amps but I gained with the preamp tubes so imo it is going to be money well spent.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
radarlover

Bla-bla-bla

ok, I got the power tubes today and put them in. its not a ridiculous change by any means but its definitely a noticeable improvement. If you have ever had an injury where they give you vicodin then that is how my amp is compared to before, just a little happier. I don't know if that is a good analogy, maybe that nice warm feeling after 4 beers or 3 shots, just the first stages of a nice mellow buzz coming on, that is how I would describe the amp after the tube change. I love them and have ordered another 12AX7 and a couple of 6V6's for my excelsior. I cannot compare them to other tubes because this is the first time I have every changed out tubes. I am now wondering what a tube change would do for the Blackstar 40 that I am selling to help pay for the ac30.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
Robbgnarly

your amp has a substance abuse problem
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #15
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

it is a good kind of amp buzz

Old 03-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #16
radarlover

lol well I could have said that the amp is like a patient 20 minutes after leaving the medicinal marijuana dispensary lol. the only ****up is not realizing that the excelsior takes 2 12AX7's not just one. This time I am gonna wait and try it bone stock, then with one preamp and then the power tubes. I can always get another tube later on.

Rate This Thread: