Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
mattmakaha

great guitar tone- tube MP1- Eric Johnson-ish. Agree?

What do you think of this lead guitar tone?
It's an older recording on a Tascam 424, but I think I had the mic in the perfect spot that day. What do you think?
Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm_qcwIVQMg

Last edited by mattmakaha : 03-18-2013 at 06:55 PM.
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
ARom22
Art Photographist

Hey man, thanks for your critique!

That is a pretty killer tone, man. It does have a definite Eric Johnson quality to it, and I think it reminds me even more of a Zappa kind of tone or a very slightly more saturated Santana. Comparisons aside, it's just a great, classic tone! Nice playing too, by the way

Book of Face
ARom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Metal Turtle

I think it sounded great
Metal Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
OrangeWalls
UG's only Homo Novus

Hey man, thanks for your crit!

I'm not an expert concerning lead guitars, and since I'm not sitting in front of my monitors I'm not sure about it, but I think the lead sits a bit to far in the back. Turning it up just a tad and brining it up front would do it a lot more justice. However, could be just my speakers

Also, the backing track sounds off sometimes, IMO.

The tone itself is really nice and rich and warm, I like that!

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
OrangeWalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
mattmakaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeWalls
Hey man, thanks for your crit!

I'm not an expert concerning lead guitars, and since I'm not sitting in front of my monitors I'm not sure about it, but I think the lead sits a bit to far in the back. Turning it up just a tad and brining it up front would do it a lot more justice. However, could be just my speakers

Also, the backing track sounds off sometimes, IMO.

The tone itself is really nice and rich and warm, I like that!

Thanks for the critique!
Well, I think you might be right in briging the lead guitar level up a bit, but as far as making any changes to that mix, it was recorded on a Tascam 424 cassette multitrack recorder which is long gone. I had a Tascam 488 after that, and that one is long gone too, oh well....
Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
Jready

Lovely. While the Rhythm guitar provided a relaxing, warm tune, the lead kept the song exciting and fresh. I especially liked the use of vibrato, pinch harmonics, and volume swells. I might have wanted to see the rhythm guitar deviate a bit from the simple pattern that it kept throughout the song, but otherwise I haven't really any complaints.

If you could take the time to review my song, or even just have a listen if you haven't the time for a review, I'd be quite glad. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1580433 Though it probably gets left in the dust when compared to this gem.
Jready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
Wattsbo

Beautiful piece, and that is a fantastic tone. Sorry about taking so long to crit you back, I've been busy and forgot to check for replies! What equipment did you use for this tone?
Wattsbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #8
mattmakaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsbo
Beautiful piece, and that is a fantastic tone. Sorry about taking so long to crit you back, I've been busy and forgot to check for replies! What equipment did you use for this tone?

Thanks for the compliments!
I was using an ADA MP-1 tube preamp with a Mosvalve head, which I no longer have. Yeah, it was a great tone--not too distorted but with a lot of sustain. Every note I was playing was on the verge of feedback (like at the 1:08 mark--the very last note of the phrase starts to feedback before I muted it to silence), because it was recorded at really high volumes at my friends soundproof room (I had to wear earplugs). The MP-1 was pretty legendary at getting great tones.
Even the clean tones are really good, if you listen to the full version of the song, the beginning of the song has some sweet clean tones, the sound of a tube just can't be beat. Here's the full lenght version of the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48REcf5f2ug

looking back though, the crunch rhythm tone has too much distortion though, if I could re-do it, I would have brought the gain down on the distorted rhythm guitar. That was also one of my first pieces I wrote and one of my first recordings, so I was still learning.

Last edited by mattmakaha : 03-18-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
awesomo41894

Wow man, I really liked the tone. Such a nice warm sound, but it was still clear. Overall very sweet tone. What were the chords behind the melody? I kinda dug the progression. The solo itself was nice, I loved the volume swells.
awesomo41894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
mattmakaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar Tint
That was a few years back, Matt...1993.... As others have commented similar...the guitar does not dominate the track enough, the drums are too upfront, nice tone though...whats the sound like now 20yrs on?

Well this is a recent recording (which is the same video that's in my signature also):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3oVRJm-RBU

.....although I don't have that same guitar equipment anymore.....
Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
mattmakaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo41894
Wow man, I really liked the tone. Such a nice warm sound, but it was still clear. Overall very sweet tone. What were the chords behind the melody? I kinda dug the progression. The solo itself was nice, I loved the volume swells.

sorry to take so long to reply to your question….
So regarding the chord progression for this song…(it might be easier to hear the chords/sections in the full length version of the song--I posted the link to the full length version in post #8 above--the video in post #1 is just an excerpt of the song)

I’ll give you the chords for the B section (because the A section is just a simple i VII VI VII progression), in the key of G#m, it’s basically a variation of the chord progression of E, F#, Gm, F#/A#
However, I’m kinda following the Alan Holdsworth school of thought, where when he plays in a certain mode he sees all the notes of the scale all the way up and down the fretboard and he just connects notes together to form chords, it could be a major or minor triad, but much of the time, it’s chord clusters. You can do that for any scale/mode like jazz minor (ascending form of melodic minor), harmonic minor, harmonic major (harmonic minor but with a major third instead of a minor third)--I do that for my advanced jazz compositions too.

But for the chords in this section, there is sort of a contrary motion thing going on with the lowest note in the chords and highest notes in the chords. For example, when the lowest note is E on the sixth string, the highest note is F# on the first string, then the next chord has F# as the lowest, E as the highest, then G# as the lowest, D# as the highest, then A# as the lowest, C# as the highest, and so forth.—they’re going in the opposite direction, the highest note in each chord is coming down pitch wise.

And then I just fill the middle rage with chord clusters—it’s pretty much a different chord cluster with almost every chord.

Last edited by mattmakaha : 04-03-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:49 AM   #12
mattmakaha

Last weekend, I was looking through my old cassettes from when I was very young, and I found a cassette with this recording from the exact same date as the song in post #1. So that means I was using the exact same setup with the ADA MP1 preamp, which gave me a pretty awesome tone. The solo is pretty good with lots of melodic ideas and I don't repeat myself.

I uploaded this video a while back, but I just realized this past weekend that the recording was from the exact same day as the song in post #1
Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Nju_hOvo4

Rate This Thread: