Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Afroboy267
UG's Metastatic Resonance

8 String Inspiration?

So I'm looking for metal bands that use 8 string guitars that ARN'T Djent. My main inspirations so far is Miserations new album 'Tragedy Has Spoken' which I love, but I'm struggling to find other non-djent 8 string albums.

Check out my Band
http://www.facebook.com/atopiaofficial
http://atopia.bandcamp.com
Afroboy267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
duncang
Popular British sitcom

Can't imagine there are too many. There isn't much reason to use one unless you're a 'djent' band or a soloist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
duncang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

I want to say the last 2 Scar Symmetry releases had some 8-strings.

If it ain't Djent or Deathcore then it probably doesn't have 8-strings, though.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
pwnadgebunny

Divine Heresy, Fear Factory, Asesino. All bands with Dino Cazares who uses both 7's and 8's. Also Deftones on the last 2 albums, and I think Pig Destroyer and Agoraphobic Nosebleed on some songs.

She's so pretty in her casts
The prettiest thing I've ever seen
I only get to hold her when she's injured
I only get to kiss her where she's sore
pwnadgebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
Afroboy267
UG's Metastatic Resonance

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnadgebunny
Divine Heresy, Fear Factory, Asesino. All bands with Dino Cazares who uses both 7's and 8's. Also Deftones on the last 2 albums, and I think Pig Destroyer and Agoraphobic Nosebleed on some songs.

Yeah, I've heard the Divine Heresy and Fear Factory songs with 8's, not checked out Deftones yet though so will do, cheers!

I think with the 8 string I wanted to try something original(ish) in Death Metal and step out of my comfort zone, especially as it's almost impossible to be original these days

Check out my Band
http://www.facebook.com/atopiaofficial
http://atopia.bandcamp.com
Afroboy267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
destroy_techno
Doesn't like breakadowns

All you need is Portal and Impetuous Ritual
Above all
And nail me
To forever
destroy_techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Steve08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroboy267
I think with the 8 string I wanted to try something original(ish) in Death Metal and step out of my comfort zone, especially as it's almost impossible to be original these days
When perceiving music strictly at the aesthetic level (listening to something and forming an opinion based strictly on one's impressions rather than in any objective logic or reasoning), sure. However, I would recommend trying to conceive of some artistic goal and then write music around fulfilling that idea, instead of simply doing what more or less amounts to trying to produce Van Gogh by arbitrarily throwing paint at a wall.

Stupid artistic goals:
"Let's be progressive!" (what is progressive if you do not have a basis upon which to progress?)
"Let's be heavy!" (what is heavy? It's a completely subjective idea that exists solely in the mind of the listener and doesn't have any basis in reality)

Good artistic goals:
"I want to create a narrative which is indicative of the process of mental decay." (this isn't a ******ed goal because it's something which you can realize by actually working within objective grounds, such as narrating a consonant theme and gradually shifting it into accidentals to suggest a degradation of sanity)
"I want to write an album which is indicative of a single, over-arching tale." (here, one only really need conceive of a tale; figuring out what to do for the purposes of enacting that tale in music and lyrics is much easier when you know WHAT you want to evoke-- for a particular masterful example of this sort of goal in heavy metal music, check out King Diamond - Abigail)

Hopefully that helps you in some way. I would also recommend trying to think more in terms of "songs" rather than riffs, because if you just think of a song as an assemblage of riffs, it's easy to run out... but if you think of a song as a universal way of communicating some classic/ancient ideal in hopes of temporarily bringing that song's listener to a thrilling, romantic "higher place" above the mundanity of every day life, you begin to realize that music is not so much a collection of tones but rather, the pure imagination of the human mind projected onto reality in the form of sound.

Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> Roberto Maia -> John Connors -> me
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve08
"I want to write an album which is indicative of a single, over-arching tale." (here, one only really need conceive of a tale; figuring out what to do for the purposes of enacting that tale in music and lyrics is much easier when you know WHAT you want to evoke

Quote:
if you think of a song as a universal way of communicating some classic/ancient ideal in hopes of temporarily bringing that song's listener to a thrilling, romantic "higher place" above the mundanity of every day life, you begin to realize that music is not so much a collection of tones but rather, the pure imagination of the human mind projected onto reality in the form of sound.

I like what you've said here. Music can impart upon the listener a feeling of grandeur, or sorrow, or any "feeling" that the composer wishes to communicate to the listener. This communication happens due simply to an idea, conveyed by the composer in the form of music. It comes from a higher place, emotionally and intellectually, than "hey this riff I just accidentally played sounds funky, let's repeat it a bunch and then make another riff that sounds pretty cool."

Each song being written can be seen as an entire new world of creative possibilities. Of which the writer has complete artistic control over. It may be a dark and unfriendly world, or a bright hopeful world. Or a perfect, idealistic world threatened by free thought and creativity which slowly rises from the deep, dark depths. Brainstorm, let whimsy take hold, and create something beautiful.
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
Steve08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytokinesis
I like what you've said here. Music can impart upon the listener a feeling of grandeur, or sorrow, or any "feeling" that the composer wishes to communicate to the listener. This communication happens due simply to an idea, conveyed by the composer in the form of music. It comes from a higher place, emotionally and intellectually, than "hey this riff I just accidentally played sounds funky, let's repeat it a bunch and then make another riff that sounds pretty cool."
Absolutely. What is most interesting about well-written music is that it succeeds at expressing any sort of emotion or concept, even one that it was not originally meant to fulfill, if one merely resets that music into different note choice/aesthetic circumstance.

For example, Morbid Angel music could easily be reset into a softer aesthetic and subsequently be used to iterate feelings of intense joy, splendor, positivity and the like, whereas a band like, say, the Acacia Strain, whose music is literally written around the premise that an open chug with distortion = heavy (this is a prime example of writing to affirm a subjectively defined notion of value, as opposed to writing to express the infinite-- TAS is the "heaviest angriest music ever" to hardcore kids and musicians and sounds like stupid, unambitious percussion music to mostly anyone else), would quickly lose any semblance of emotional impact if their music was transposed onto 6 string guitars in E standard tuning and played through Fender amplifiers, because the "heaviness" is an illusion, there is nothing in the music to suggest something emotionally "heavy" or greater than the individual, just the impression that there is, which is only propagated by the legions of people who don't know any better, and that I can only presume would be the "prisoners" in Plato's allegory of the cave.

Last edited by Steve08 : 01-20-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

I see what you mean. This is off-topic but it's a funny thing you mentioning Plato's Allegory of the Cave, because I've got Philosophy this semester and I've got to write a paper on it, and I was just attempting to begin while I was writing that. What a coincidence.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
Steve08

Cool; haha, with that allegory in mind, you ought to read over the BTBAM shitstorm that occurred in this forum around late November, as it applies particularly well to most of the kids who were defending them at that time... everyone is a "prisoner" initially, but it's true open-mindedness, and a willingness to accept personal or intellectual deficiency that leads one to bask in the radiant splendor of the illuminated world. It is my hope that, in time, more will learn to form judgments based on what something is, not what they think of it as.

"No object is mysterious. The mystery is in your eye."
-Elizabeth Bowen

Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Oh, I was online during that whole btbam thing. I just sat there refreshing the page so the next argument/post would come up . It was pretty exciting. I never felt the need to jump in because to this day I've never even heard a single btbam song.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
Steve08

Ah, I see. Well, everything should be nicely contextualized then-- c'est la vie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytokinesis
because to this day I've never even heard a single btbam song.
Good, don't. Awful, awful music-- they don't write focused, coherent "songs" so much as "sound collages". It's like going to a restaurant where you pay $10 to stand in line and take a bite or two out of, like, dozens of different kinds of food, as opposed to sitting down to take time eating, and actually enjoying one or two substantial portions of food that are selected for how well they compliment each other in a meal (album), rather than how diverse and interesting it "seems" based solely upon how unrelated everything "is".

One of the many, many things which deeply amuses me about that kind of music is how it's so "complex and progressive" and yet fails to make any one, coherent musical or artistic statement-- something that simple, catchy artists like Kraftwerk, Dead Kennedys and The Cure does.

Last edited by Steve08 : 01-20-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

^
No offense, Steve, but from what I've read here, you're not the best one to ask on whether one should listen to BTBAM. Frankly, I've often wondered how deeply you've even delved into the themes of their songs, since you seem to enjoy such broad statements as "Sounds collages" when referring to them. That said, you do know your shit when it comes to theory and composition.

Edit:
To get this thread back on topic slightly, you may have more luck finding bands that play 7-string guitars.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 01-21-2013 at 05:53 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
Steve08

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
^
No offense, Steve, but from what I've read here, you're not the best one to ask on whether one should listen to BTBAM. Frankly, I've often wondered how deeply you've even delved into the themes of their songs, since you seem to enjoy such broad statements as "Sounds collages" when referring to them. That said, you do know your shit when it comes to theory and composition.
I've analyzed well-rated tabs for a select few of their songs, and they all display the same commonality in that all the melodic phrases are almost next to irrelevant to each other... it's not as if I'm just listening to this stuff, deciding that I dislike it and then making an assertion like that. To me, it is pretty much a caricature of the sort of progressive musical ideals which forms the basis of genres such as classical, heavy metal and progressive rock (Yes, ELP, Genesis, King Crimson, etc), and that is what comprises my negative opinion of that band. I will confess that I haven't really read much of their lyrics, which can obviously contribute somewhat to the development of a narrative, but honestly, if the music itself does not already suggest such a thing on its own merits (a few examples of albums of that nature would be Morbid Angel's Blessed Are the Sick, At the Gates' The Red in the Sky is Ours, King Diamond's Abigail and ELP's Tarkus), it begs the question of whether or not the music is conceptually unified so much as "lyrically" unified.

Keep in mind, though, that this is me merely trying to explain/rationalize my dislike of them, or what my opinion of their music is based on, essentially. I'm not hellbent on trying to scientifically prove that music you like is bad or whatever.

Last edited by Steve08 : 01-21-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #16
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
[snip]

Keep in mind, though, that this is me merely trying to explain/rationalize my dislike of them, or what my opinion of their music is based on, essentially. I'm not hellbent on trying to scientifically prove that music you like is bad or whatever.

Look, man...I don't even mind that you dislike BTBAM. But the fact is, you act like just because you dislike it, it's the worst music ever. In fact, BTBAM isn't the only band I've seen you do this with. I usually understand your reasons as to why you dislike certain bands, but what always irks me is that you're one notch shy of flaming the band, basically.

So, all I'm saying is, state that you dislike a band, state why (or not, as you choose)...and leave it at that. Don't say things like, "Awful, awful music-- they don't write focused, coherent 'songs' so much as 'sound collages'", even if you think that's true. To many people (myself included) their songs are coherent, just in an unexpected manner. You could easily amend that phrase to something like, "I dislike their music, because it doesn't feel coherent to me and has many abrupt changes that I dislike, in terms of composition". It'd make you sound like less of an arrogant know-it-all.

Anyway, I respect your opinion all the same, man.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #17
CoreysMonster
Banned

I do a bunch of non-djent 8-string stuff (also some djent).

What's always inspired me is piano music.

Last edited by CoreysMonster : 01-22-2013 at 10:35 AM.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #18
helltothee
Idiot

Love that song, CoreysMonster! Very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryingNemo
I saw Satan one day
He looked kinda gay
The bible hates gays
So Satan I shall slay
Amen.
helltothee is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: