Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
JHuff15

Beginner: PRS SE245 vs Epiphone 339 Pro

I just started playing 2 months ago and have been playing on a Fender CD140SCE acoustic/electric and I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to buy my first electric. I know the two guitars I listed are pretty different (semi-hollow vs solid body), but since my ear isn't very developed yet, I figured this would be the best way to get help in choosing.

The type of music I would like to play covers a wide range. What I like most I would classify as alternative rock/indie rock. Favorites are The Whitest Boy Alive, Phoenix, Foo Fighters, Hoobastank, Velvet Revolver, Modest Mouse, Volbeat, and Avenged Sevenfold.

I'm leaning towards the Epi solely based on price point and aesthetics, but I have a guitarist friend that tells me I should spend the extra $250 and get the SE245. I didn't see myself spending $650 on my first guitar, but is it worth the difference?

Thanks in advance for opinions.
JHuff15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
JHuff15

After a little more research I've decided on the Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus unless anybody has any better suggestions?
Old 09-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
dspellman

You change your mind too quickly.

Within three hours (and change), you've picked an entirely different guitar -- based on what?
Exactly what kind of "little more research" did you do?

My suggestion -- flip a coin. Rock paper scissors. Eenie Meenie. Spin the bottle.

Last edited by dspellman : 09-18-2013 at 03:59 PM.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
CkY freak

I currently own 10+ guitars, and I will honestly say that the PRS SE245 is definitely one of my favorites. It's a beast of a guitar. It's got a massive sound, nice (thicker) neck. Independent tone and volume knobs. Really awesome guitar.

I've never used the epiphone though.
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul Standard (2013)
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
PRS SE245
Parker PDF100
CkY freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
HippieMagic

Haha my first guitar was less than $200 because people told me that's what I should do. I didn't stick with it. When I really started to get into it and after an absurd amount of research I ended up with a $1300 SG Standard.

I couldn't be happier. I don't regret spending it at all.

I am not saying go nuts and blow a ton of money on your first but make sure you are happy even if it's a bit more than you intended to spend. If you are anything like me you just won't stick with it unless you are happy with your purchase anyway.
HippieMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Starcounter1

The prs 245 is the safest bet for the money in almost every case. Go with it.

And, there's nothing wrong with a fast mind change. 1/2 the fun of playing guitar is buying/shopping/trying out guitars. Enjoy it!
Starcounter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieMagic
Haha my first guitar was less than $200 because people told me that's what I should do. I didn't stick with it. When I really started to get into it and after an absurd amount of research I ended up with a $1300 SG Standard.

By the time I bought my first guitar I'd been a professional musician (keyboards) several years, had been in my first rock group only a few months, worked at a music store, and bought the guitar partly because it was so cheap and partly because I thought it might make a great addition to the sound of the band (an ES-335-12 string). The second ES-335 had been sanded down to bare wood and it was cheap as well. It really wasn't until about a half dozen guitars (all Gibsons) were lying around that my girlfriend suggested I should probably learn to play one.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

I don't like Epiphones. In general, I've found they feel kinda cheap.

Therefore, I say go for the PRS SE. They feel way more solid.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
JHuff15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
You change your mind too quickly.

Within three hours (and change), you've picked an entirely different guitar -- based on what?
Exactly what kind of "little more research" did you do?

My suggestion -- flip a coin. Rock paper scissors. Eenie Meenie. Spin the bottle.

I'm a beginner, I know the sound I want, but I'm too new to know what guitars create it. I did some more reading on solid and semi-hollow bodies and found a couple more in the price range of the se245. My original plan was to get the ES-339 and put gibson 57s pups in it. The Tribute plus comes with 57 pups, costs less than se245 and I like the aesthetics better. I didn't know it existed before I made the post. It is flipping a coin for me which I why I came here for advice from people that are more informed than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CkY freak
I currently own 10+ guitars, and I will honestly say that the PRS SE245 is definitely one of my favorites. It's a beast of a guitar. It's got a massive sound, nice (thicker) neck. Independent tone and volume knobs. Really awesome guitar.

I've never used the epiphone though.

I started with a classical and having big hands I miss the the thicker neck. I'm leaning toward the LP tribute, but I'm going to go play the SE245 before I pull the trigger. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieMagic
I am not saying go nuts and blow a ton of money on your first but make sure you are happy even if it's a bit more than you intended to spend. If you are anything like me you just won't stick with it unless you are happy with your purchase anyway.

It seems it's very easy to spend more than intended because you're always thinking "Is it worth it to spend just a little bit more to get a much better sounds?" Next thing you know, you've increased your budget $400.

Last edited by JHuff15 : 09-19-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Rate This Thread: