Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
mark.bark
Laugh often and sleep in

Scale length is off

After a recent night of drinking i bumped into a friend i haven't seen in about 4 years. After a drunken jam and noise complaints, i had to leave, but as a parting gift was given his most recent guitar project to finish

Its an iceman body, no idea where he got it, but it has a swirl finish that i am confident my friend didn't do himself

The neck is from an rg250dx

Neck measurements would suggest its for a 25.5 scale but when i line it up and measure to the bridge (cut out for a floyd) it takes me up to about 27''

Is there a way to work out scale length by measuring parts of the body?

Or... on a scale of 24.75 to 25.5 how difficult is it to fill in this rout and use a fixed bridge? Cos atm, i don't imagine it will intonate

Last edited by mark.bark : 01-29-2013 at 09:17 PM.
mark.bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

Do you have the bridge set on the guitar body? where are you mesuring to? the front of the cavity, middle?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
mark.bark
Laugh often and sleep in

I have a rg370dx that is all in one piece, so i'm using it as a guide.

There is no hardware on the iceman body, but if i measure from the nut, down 25.5 it brings me to just to the front of the cavity, and on the 370dx there's another inch and a half to go to reach the saddles
Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
RebuildIt

First measure the distance from nut to 12th fret. Double that and you have the scale length of that neck. Now you can measure where the bridge must go. If it simply can't go there because of pickup routering or something, you can move the neck deeper into or further out of the pocket. Nasty business and you can't move very far without significant trouble. It would be less trouble to fill the pickup hole and make a new pickup hole.
RebuildIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
mark.bark
Laugh often and sleep in

Its 25.5 and basically this body

No space to move neck further, moving pickups will be messy

Easiest way to fill in the trem cavity?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
LeviMan_2001

From the nut to the high e saddle it should be near to where the scale should be. aka, 25.5 in this case.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

The Iceman body was probably made for a 22 fret neck.

So you either cut your neck off at the 23rd fret, or run your neck into the pickup cavity. Neither option is ideal, but cutting the neck is probably the cleanest fix. If you run the neck into the pickup cavity, not only do you need a pickguard or something to cover that mess, but you also will have to make the heel work, which would probably require cutting it down, reshaping, filling the holes, and redrilling holes. And unless you are up for that task, and up for refinishing it, then you might want to steer clear of that.

And personally, I would give up altogether before trying to fill in the floyd route. That would suck, and the bridge pickup would be too far from the bridge.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
mark.bark
Laugh often and sleep in

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
The Iceman body was probably made for a 22 fret neck.

So you either cut your neck off at the 23rd fret, or run your neck into the pickup cavity. Neither option is ideal, but cutting the neck is probably the cleanest fix. If you run the neck into the pickup cavity, not only do you need a pickguard or something to cover that mess, but you also will have to make the heel work, which would probably require cutting it down, reshaping, filling the holes, and redrilling holes. And unless you are up for that task, and up for refinishing it, then you might want to steer clear of that.

And personally, I would give up altogether before trying to fill in the floyd route. That would suck, and the bridge pickup would be too far from the bridge.

I would rather sell body and neck seperate than start chopping bits off

Or put it together and put funky lights in the cavities and leave it hanging on the wall

Only other possiblity is, 25.5 takes me up to where a tune o matic would sit.

And a tail piece like this would hide the trem cavity

Rate This Thread: