Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Carl21221

Are my fingers to broad?

Hey guys. I have watched endless videos online of guitarists and one thing really worries me. When they play high up the neck, usually with their fast and technical playing, their fingers seem to fit the higher frets nicely... However, when I play guitar up in the higher frets, I almost have to tilt my fingers sideways to get a decent feel of the frets.

Are my fingers too broad/wide or am I just not good enough at playing the higher frets yet? Is it going to hinder the amount of progress I can actually make with my playing?

Pardon my stupid question but it worries me!
Roland Cube 30X
Carl21221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Captaincranky

Gosh, barre chords get difficult for me much above the 9th fret (C major, root 6th voice), for that very reason.

The only thing I can tell you, is make sure your fingers are pointing straight down at the strings, at a 90 degree angle to fret fret board. You have to drop your wrist quite a bit to accomplish that. Otherwise, if your fingers are at a shallower angle, you'll mute adjacent strings.

If you don't normally play that high on the neck it will take quite a bit of practice.

Keep in mind the your fingers can hang out as much as they want, BEHIND the note your fretting. So, if you're trying to fret 14, and the back your finger is almost touching the 12th fret, no big deal.

With that said, I strenuously caution you to stay away from any musical instrument with "olin" as a suffix. These are not for the faint of heart, or fat of finger....
Captaincranky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
intheshadowplay
Mediocre guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Gosh, barre chords get difficult for me much above the 9th fret (C major, root 6th voice), for that very reason.

The only thing I can tell you, is make sure your fingers are pointing straight down at the strings, at a 90 degree angle to fret fret board. You have to drop your wrist quite a bit to accomplish that. Otherwise, if your fingers are at a shallower angle, you'll mute adjacent strings.

If you don't normally play that high on the neck it will take quite a bit of practice.

Keep in mind the your fingers can hang out as much as they want, BEHIND the note your fretting. So, if you're trying to fret 14, and the back your finger is almost touching the 12th fret, no big deal.

With that said, I strenuously caution you to stay away from any musical instrument with "olin" as a suffix. These are not for the faint of heart, or fat of finger....

This is all great advice. I made the mistake of buying a mandolin, only to find it a pain in the ass to tune and play due to my big hands. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

i bet having skinnier fingers helps...but when your fingertips are calloused and hard it will make it easier up there since the strings will "sink" less into your fingers.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Jes Johnson

I know a lot of really talented guitarists have big hands with ridiculously long fingers. It's kinda like playing basketball. You can play if you're five feet tall, but it's easier if you're six foot. The size and length of your fingers does make a difference, but it won't stop you from playing. You just have to make the necessary adjustments.
Jes Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #6
20Tigers

Physical characteristics are only obstacles if let them be so.

Django Reinhardt is a great example. Considered by many to be one of the greatest guitarists of all time the guy was in a fire and his pinky and ring finger were partially paralyzed. He used those injured fingers for some chord work and his solos were entirely played with two fingers.

If you ever doubt your ability to play the guitar well on account of some physical limitation then go listen to some Django Reinhardt and get inspired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6jwvS0mHwo#T=1m06s

My time stamp doesn't seem to be working - if you want to hear Reinhardt's solo it's 1:06 to 2:06.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
rollertoaster

Likewise with Tommy Iommi from Black Sabbath. Lost the tips of his ring and middle fingers the last day of working in a sheet metal factory. Still pulled out some killer riffs and solos though, made some thimbles, changed his string gauge and ended up managing just fine
rollertoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #8
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

it's just beginner's troubles bro. I used to say this too but recently (no idea how, it just happened) my hand finally adapted to the higher frets and I tended to stay away from there before. Maybe due to playing City of Evil songs but tis all the same. You'll get there man, just don't quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
eric_wearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:30 AM   #9
Velcro Man
A person

I have really broad fingers, though, over time they do seem to get thinner and nimbler, but I still have sausage fingers, yet I played mandolin for awhile, just keep playing, you'll figure it out, just keep trying til it's comfortable.

Trust me, if I can hold the 22nd fret on the high e with my pinky and hold the 22nd fret on the b with my ring finger and bend it up on an explorer, you can get to the upper register lol
Velcro Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Exterminatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollertoaster
Likewise with Tommy Iommi from Black Sabbath. Lost the tips of his ring and middle fingers the last day of working in a sheet metal factory. Still pulled out some killer riffs and solos though, made some thimbles, changed his string gauge and ended up managing just fine

So the secret to becoming a famous guitarist is chopping your fingers off at a metal factory. Sounds like a plan!

-Poldo (the guy with both hands in his pockets!)
Exterminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Do you have a severe deformity? If not you can play fine.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

If Itzhak Perlman's fingers fit on a violin, yours will fit on a guitar:

Vlasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
Carl21221

Cheers for the reassurance guys! I'm not a beginner by any means, but its just something that was on my mind for a while. I CAN solo up there but I was worried that I'd never be able to get as good as my idols because of fat finger syndrome
Roland Cube 30X
Carl21221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:05 AM   #14
Tazz3

my left hand fret hand is 8 inch strech from the pinky to the thumb dont know if its big or not
Tazz3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: