Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
testekleez

Techniques to play like Prince

I was wondering what types of things to practice to earn the ability to play the type of licks that Prince is famous for. I know a lot of it is pentatonics, but I can't figure out where to start on the chops.

I still think one of the greates solo chops is the outro to "Let's Go Crazy" and the Purple Rain solo is awesome as well. I dunno, this is the type of shit I wanna learn how to play and would appreciate some advice on the types of things to practice to be able to play those types of chops eventually (if ever).

For example (Skip to 3:11 in the vid).

Last edited by testekleez : 08-11-2010 at 04:55 PM.
testekleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
LessThanLuke
No.

Dress like a girl, first. ^_^
LessThanLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
testekleez

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessThanLuke

I would definitely wear a skirt if I could play like that lol.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Lots O' FX
Ug's BallsOutDeathmeister

Have sex with everything, just every. last. thing.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Lots O' FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
testekleez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lots O' FX
Have sex with everything, just every. last. thing.

Could be worse right?
Old 08-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
zincabopataurio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessThanLuke

Whoa, I was listening to this video just as I was reading this thread.

As for playing like Prince, probably the first step to do would be to actually learn some your favourite songs by him. After you know a lot of this songs, and "chops", you'll eventually start seeing some patterns, and things that sound like Prince.
zincabopataurio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
testekleez

Quote:
Originally Posted by zincabopataurio
Whoa, I was listening to this video just as I was reading this thread.

As for playing like Prince, probably the first step to do would be to actually learn some your favourite songs by him. After you know a lot of this songs, and "chops", you'll eventually start seeing some patterns, and things that sound like Prince.

Well I can play a lot of the rhythms mostly, it's the lead techniques I was more interested in. I may never be able to play them, but there has to be a starting point somewhere.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
Housequake
Registered Funkatier

Prince doesn't actually use any special techniques, he just improvises a solo and tears it up! However, I do know that at the beggining of the 2nd Lets Go Crazy solo, it sounds like he's hitting loads of notes really fast but in reality he's just bending a note a tone upwards while doing 16 note rhythm alternate picking.

I could be wrong but thats how it looks like he's doing it on the live videos I've seen. The interesting thing about Prince is he plays guitar in so many styles; funk, rock, blues, jazz... & even though he doesn't do any unique techniques he still retains a signature sound.

A lot of his more "WTF how did he do that" guitar moments are down to effects. For example, in "Kiss" the guitar was put through a drum gate or something to match the snare drum, & you wouldn't be able to play it like that normally.

In regards to tone, he's exclusivley used a boss pedalboard throughout his carreer (distortion, wah, flanger etc) and most of the time uses a cheap hohner telecaster but sometimes uses a fender strat.

I'd just try learning some of his solo's & see what he does. My favourite is the end of "Computer Blue" or the solo in "Thunder".
Housequake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
AndrewSchaeffer
Baby killer

Location: A small place not known to the human race, wherein NOOBS dont exist. and people know how to use the searchbar
repetition. practice practice practice.
AndrewSchaeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
testekleez

Well this is about as close as I can get to sounding vaguely Prince-like so far.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/.../all/play891472
Old 09-05-2010, 03:57 AM   #11
GilbertsPinky
Banned

I can't contribute to the thread in terms of your question, i just wanted to say Prince is a fantastically underrated musician and guitarist.
GilbertsPinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
willemhdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by testekleez
I was wondering what types of things to practice to earn the ability to play the type of licks that Prince is famous for. I know a lot of it is pentatonics, but I can't figure out where to start on the chops. [...]

Actually a lot of his solos are based around the blues scale. The blues scale is the minor pentatonic scale with the addition of the diminished fifth -- the blue note.

As for practising, it's best to just copy some of his chops and incorporate it into your playing.

A lot of the stuff he plays where I personally go "Ah yeah!" are fast passages. These are quite hard to learn, but you can slow them down with a free software package like Audacity to be able to figure them out.

Good luck!
Willem
willemhdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
soNso

there are lessons that will teach in the style of Prince... here is one DVD you must get which will bring down his style and solos so that you may re-use them in your solos

Go to E B A Y and type MAX-MILLIGAN Prince. He has an instructional DVD that may prove to be helpful to you.

Last edited by soNso : 10-16-2013 at 04:32 PM.
soNso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
The Dimery

Check this my friend. I also love Prince and his guitar style, and im a fledgling funk guitarist!
Check out my new Hoist That Rag solo tab!
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/t/t...lo_ver3_tab.htm
The Dimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
Rick_Kala

I am a metal guy but when Prince did a cover of the Foo Fighters song during the Superbowl a few years ago; he blew my mind because he OWNED that song. Was better than the Foo Fighters.
Rick_Kala is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: