Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Cover Songs
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
Ludo950

Dream Theater-Illumination Theory ending solo cover

Hey, I have just recorded a cover of Illumination Theory's ending solo by Dream Theater

https://soundcloud.com/ludovico-cuo...lo-guitar-cover

I used my Schecter Synyster custom and the effect chain is: TSE808>Overloud TH2>Redwirez Mesa Rectifier IR>post eq

Tell me your thoughts..!

Last edited by Ludo950 : 07-16-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Ludo950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
maximumrocker
UG's ADHD kid

Wow dude.

First off great playing. Nailed that ending part! And second off you basically nail John's tone. That was sick!
Maybe cover the whole song next time? Ha, kidding 19 minutes of playing would be extremely difficult.

I would actually like see a video on how you got his tone. Be kind of hunting for my self... If only I could have his rig....

Also small mammals are good for the hands

c4c?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...16#post32814016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
maximumrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
Ludo950

Thank you sir!
First off, my guitar is tuned to Drop D ( you can also play the solo in Standard E as it doesn't require the 6th string) but Petrucci plays it in Standard A, basically a Standard D with the 7th string tuned to A!
I'd like to get a 7 string guitar, maybe a Mayones Setius GTM7 ( 1400 here in EU), if I sold my guitars and my Marshall MG100DFX amp, which I never use as I only use my macbook and effects plugins, plus some money I can do that but I'd like to get a good amp, maybe AXE FX/DV Mark Multiamp before the guitar .

I'm working on that tone since March and I'm making it better every day!
I mainly use my Schecter Synyster Custom who has pretty different specs compared to the Music man JP ,which I like so much , and I noticed that using my Cort X-Th which has EMG 81-85 and, as they are so tight and compressed, I can get a better Petrucci lead tone but on that guitar I need to change the 3-way switch as I broke it about one year ago ahaha ( I used to be too rude when changing the pickup selection ahah) so I had to use my synyster custom.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
maximumrocker
UG's ADHD kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo950
Thank you sir!
First off, my guitar is tuned to Drop D ( you can also play the solo in Standard E as it doesn't require the 6th string) but Petrucci plays it in Standard A, basically a Standard D with the 7th string tuned to A!
I'd like to get a 7 string guitar, maybe a Mayones Setius GTM7 ( 1400 here in EU), if I sold my guitars and my Marshall MG100DFX amp, which I never use as I only use my macbook and effects plugins, plus some money I can do that but I'd like to get a good amp, maybe AXE FX/DV Mark Multiamp before the guitar .

I'm working on that tone since March and I'm making it better every day!
I mainly use my Schecter Synyster Custom who has pretty different specs compared to the Music man JP ,which I like so much , and I noticed that using my Cort X-Th which has EMG 81-85 and, as they are so tight and compressed, I can get a better Petrucci lead tone but on that guitar I need to change the 3-way switch as I broke it about one year ago ahaha ( I used to be too rude when changing the pickup selection ahah) so I had to use my synyster custom.

Dude, love Mayones. I'd totally get one if I had the cash. But I am a poor college student... Understand you. I go direct to now most of the time now (Amplitube is what I got). A lot of amp sim can get you great tone.

Gotta be nice to your axes! Hahaha
I love Schecter guitars. I think they're great for the money. I hope to see more man! Thanks for the crit as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
maximumrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
Ludo950

Yep, I'm working on Another Day solo right now
Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
garethevs3

That's awesome mate, nailed the tone!!!

Keep rocking!
garethevs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
Abitran

Great playing! great tone! great feel!
good job dude
Abitran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
Ludo950

Thank you so much dudes! Would have been better if I had found a good backing track but, as I can't find a decent backing track, I had to use the original song as backing track ): ( On the other hand I found a good one for my old cover of The count of Tuscany intro solo).

I'm studying Another day solo now, it's pretty fun to play
Old 07-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
JamesEden

Flawless tone and playing! Really impressive. I haven't actually listened to this album yet as I'm more into the old DT stuff but it sounds great.
JamesEden is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: